Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Just picked up Hangman #3. By far the best issue to date -- introducing some new characters that are clearly going to be the focus of some interesting drama. But the most impressive thing is Felix Ruiz's art. The gritty feel he's bringing to this book is amazing (and some of the page layouts were really awesome). His style really reminds me of Bill Sienkiewicz's style from when he was peaking as the artist of Moon Knight (and then when he went on to do his more idiosyncratic work on things such as Elektra).

Archie's really impressing me with their Dark Circle line of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Just picked up Hangman #3. By far the best issue to date -- introducing some new characters that are clearly going to be the focus of some interesting drama. But the most impressive thing is Felix Ruiz's art. The gritty feel he's bringing to this book is amazing (and some of the page layouts were really awesome). His style really reminds me of Bill Sienkiewicz's style from when he was peaking as the artist of Moon Knight (and then when he went on to do his more idiosyncratic work on things such as Elektra).

Arrgh. I won't be able to visit my LCS and pick up books until next week. Oh well. Thanks for giving me a little extra something to look forward to.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

It's a bit of a slow boil, but it's well done. The new players on the board seem like they have potential. But I really do like the art.

Bought it on Wednesday but haven't read it yet.

By the way, like your avatar:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - super___act1_001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Bought it on Wednesday but haven't read it yet.

By the way, like your avatar:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - super___act1_001.jpg
    Thanks! Love the golden age Superman, and his first appearance is amazing. Really wish DC could recapture that no-nonsense feel the character had.

Anyways, I am looking forward to seeing the payoff on these early issues of Hangman. There's some interesting world building going on here regarding the darker side of the Dark Circle universe.

It's a bit of a slow boil, but it's well done. The new players on the board seem like they have potential. But I really do like the art.
    That's good to hear. I love the slow boil approach on a story when the writer has a good command of that type of storytelling.

It's also interesting to hear about new characters being introduced. The cast of characters has been pretty lean so far (not in a bad way); so I've been wondering at what point they might begin to appear.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Just finished reading BlackHood 9.... Great set up for a throw down with the crusaders. Neat storytelling idea to jump forward then back, jumbled just like the reporters train of thought.
    Shield #2 was also phenomenal, didn't see that ending coming. World building definitely abounds in Dark Circle. Interesting that everything happens on the eastern seaboard, what with Shield in DC/Philadelphia, Black Hood in Philly, and Hangman in New York.
    Hangman #3.... Starting to see some fleshing out of this book. Asmodeus is intriguing and Miss Black looks to be an imposing nemesis.
    As long as things are back on schedule, Dark circle 's prospects are looking good

Last night I finally got to catch up on some reading and was able to enjoy Hangman #3.

The addition of the new characters definitely adds a layer of complexity and intrigue to the story (in a good way). It looks like the Hangman has his work cut out for him since Asmodeus and Ms. Black look like adversaries that should not be underestimated.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Anyone got a bead on when we can expect another book in this line?
    Archie has really bungled what should be a budding bright spot of diversity for them.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Anyone got a bead on when we can expect another book in this line?
    Archie has really bungled what should be a budding bright spot of diversity for them.
    At last check, Previewsworld has
    * Black Hood #10 "In Shops: 5/4/2016"
    * Hangman #4 "In Shops: 6/8/2016"
    Those are the only two titles I'm following from Archie/Dark Circle.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Thanks. So still no news on Shield #3, Web #1(due in Jan '16 last I recall) or anything on Fox.
    It's a frustrating thing seeing how Archie is letting Dark Circle die on the vine.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Thanks. So still no news on Shield #3, Web #1(due in Jan '16 last I recall) or anything on Fox.
    It's a frustrating thing seeing how Archie is letting Dark Circle die on the vine.
    Per Previewsworld:
    * Shield #3 = In Shops: 5/25/2016 (http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/SEP150976)

No idea on anything else from the superhero line.

Just read Black Hood #10..... Really gritty. Sorry to see Devon gone. Nice that the Crusaders were handled; looks like Greg isn't finding shed with the Hood yet. Q....who's the guy teased at the end? It can't be Kip Burland can it? Greg shot him in issue #1, could it be Matt Burland? Pissed that his protege was killed by Greg, and also that Greg is running around as the Black Hood? Good stuff...

I read issue #10 of the Black Hood two nights ago and it felt like the turns in the story really stepped up the overall intensity for this series. Just when it seems like Hettinger might be getting the feel for being the Black Hood or finding a balance in his double-life, things take an unexpected turn for the worse.

It definitely opens up some good questions leading into the next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    It definitely opens up some good questions leading into the next issue.
    Yeah, like . . . if/when they'll actually have any issues after that.
    (Once again, Archie/Dark Circle has screwed up the superhero/adventure line and is publishing things so infrequently it's discouraging.)