Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243 LastLast
Results 616 to 630 of 631
  1. #616
    Incredible Member Ishmael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    557

    Default

    And while I'm thinking about it, I really enjoyed the last bit of the latest series concerning Mr. Justice, the Shield, and the "blue ribbon" idea. It seemed like a really interesting suggestion about how all incarnations of the team have existed, and the Shield serves as the link between them (sorta like Superman with the DC multiverse). I hope they follow up on this.

    Flynn seems to have a genuine interest and love of the characters, and I appreciate the thought he's been putting into these stories.

  2. #617
    The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Bummer but not surprising.
    Glad I went ahead and added the new Green Hornet series to my hold file at my LCS. Check out our new GH ongoing discussion thread to see if it might be of interest to you @ClairaudientFreedomSoldier
    Especially if you are looking for a non-Big2 replacement read.
    Thank you for the kind suggestion, Captain! I'm grateful.
    Top Artists Acuña, A Adams, Allred, Asrar, Bradshaw, V Bridges, J Campbell, JS Campbell, Caselli, Charest, C Chiang, Coipel, TS Daniel, Darrow, A Davis, Derington, Dodson, G Frank, Googe, G Ha, T Harris, Hawthorne, C Henry, A Hughes, Immonen, Larraz, Lupacchino, Maguire, Manapul, P Medina, McGuinness, McKone, J Molina, D Mora, SG Murphy, Opeña, Pasarin, B Peterson, Pichelli, I Reis, A Robinson, Rude, Shaner, K Shannon, RB Silva, Skroce, Sook, Sprouse, Torque, Weldon, D Williams, Woods!

  3. #618
    Spectacular Member Askia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    197

    Default

    I read the first volume of Mega Man. Does it get better? Right now Rock easily slides through his foes like a spoon through a custard.
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

  4. #619
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Askia View Post
    I read the first volume of Mega Man. Does it get better? Right now Rock easily slides through his foes like a spoon through a custard.
    I didn't think "Mega Man" is part of Archie's Dark Circle line.

  5. #620
    Spectacular Member Askia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    197

    Default

    My bad, I didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch. I'm not familiar with Archie at all. Later.
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

  6. #621
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Askia View Post
    My bad, I didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch. I'm not familiar with Archie at all. Later.
    No need to take an attitude.
    I just think you might be better off / get more useful responses if you place your question in a more appropriate place.
    If you'd rather people just ignore you completely, I apologize.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 06-28-2018 at 07:22 AM.

  7. #622
    Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,416

    Default

    He totally overreacted to your response.

    The sad thing of course is that there isn't any Dark Circle news with which to discuss.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  8. #623
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Why do you suppose Dark Circle can't stick?

  9. #624
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Why do you suppose Dark Circle can't stick?
    Incompetence?

    If the Archie company could get the books out on a regular, non-interrupted schedule, it might help.
    But whether the writers / artists can't make the schedules (or if Archie doesn't pay them enough to make schedules a priority?) or if the problem is more coordination-related in terms of approving / printing / distributing the product on time, who knows?

  10. #625
    Incredible Member Ishmael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Why do you suppose Dark Circle can't stick?
    I think there's two main reasons.

    (I) I think there's a sorta stigma w the characters now. They've had quite a few attempts w them over the years, and none seem to resonate w the fans. I think a lot of comic readers simply aren't willing to give them a chance because of past failures. Rightly so i guess, since the one time the line was working ... in the 80s w the Red Circle brand ... apparently corporate busy bodies injected themselves into things and derailed it. I don't think they've come close to anything as potentially as successful since. And given enough failed reboots fans just steer clear.

    (2) Given the current market, i think it's just too hard to launch a new superhero universe. Most fans are brand loyal to the Big 2, and it's almost impossible it seems to crack their grip on that dimension of the market. Especially given how pricey this hobby has become. With limited money, i think most fans default to titles and characters they're reasonably sure they'll like (even if they aren't as good as the Dark Circle offerings).

    I don't know how Archie could jump start their superhero line. Maybe a mix of cartoons and video games of some sort (w the comics more of a tie-in)? They've got some good stuff there: the Black Hood was really well done, and i really enjoyed the Shield reboot (and i say this as a huge Joe Higgins fan). Not sure why it didn't catch on other than a general unwillingness by the average fan to venture beyond their normal comfort zone.

  11. #626

    Default

    To me its the scheduling problem and that superhero universes are hard to maintain because Marvel and DC corner the market. I guess figuring out what they could offer that's different is a good idea. Catalyst Prime, Humanoids and to a lesser extent Valiant leans more towards sci-fi so going more towards supernatural themes could work?

    Maybe switching to graphic novels like DC Earth one but you have to put them out faster than every few years?

    Or maybe doing an ongoing title like DC's The Wild Storm by Warren Ellis and Jon Davis Hunt? Have that set up the universe and see if it has legs to stand?

  12. #627
    Incredible Member Ishmael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    To me its the scheduling problem and that superhero universes are hard to maintain because Marvel and DC corner the market. I guess figuring out what they could offer that's different is a good idea. Catalyst Prime, Humanoids and to a lesser extent Valiant leans more towards sci-fi so going more towards supernatural themes could work?

    Maybe switching to graphic novels like DC Earth one but you have to put them out faster than every few years?

    Or maybe doing an ongoing title like DC's The Wild Storm by Warren Ellis and Jon Davis Hunt? Have that set up the universe and see if it has legs to stand?
    Something like Blue Ribbon, playing off the conclusion of the last series, might work. A sort of anthology title that lets them rotate characters (and perhaps creative teams).

    But i really think they need to do something with the characters outside of comics to generate interest with new readers. Because trying to appeal to regular comic readers clearly hasn't worked. They've darkened the stories ... lightened the stories ... mixed and matched old and new ... and none of it has really taken. Maybe using some different characters (ie not the Shield or Web or Black Hood or Comet) would be in order now. A reboot of sorts that focuses on other characters that generate new story possibilities without any preconceptions.

  13. #628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Something like Blue Ribbon, playing off the conclusion of the last series, might work. A sort of anthology title that lets them rotate characters (and perhaps creative teams).

    But i really think they need to do something with the characters outside of comics to generate interest with new readers. Because trying to appeal to regular comic readers clearly hasn't worked. They've darkened the stories ... lightened the stories ... mixed and matched old and new ... and none of it has really taken. Maybe using some different characters (ie not the Shield or Web or Black Hood or Comet) would be in order now. A reboot of sorts that focuses on other characters that generate new story possibilities without any preconceptions.
    Netflix is in the market for new superhero content so maybe they could work out a deal.

    In comics its tricky because the Mighty crusaders might not have any pull. They may have outlived their heyday so unless Archie is willing to invest in new creations their might not be nuch option left.

  14. #629
    Incredible Member Ishmael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Netflix is in the market for new superhero content so maybe they could work out a deal.

    In comics its tricky because the Mighty crusaders might not have any pull. They may have outlived their heyday so unless Archie is willing to invest in new creations their might not be nuch option left.
    I think what they might want to consider is going back to their pre-Archie MLJ characters, and seeing what's there. Their Red/Dark Circle line has been pretty much defined by the Comet, the Shield, Black Hood, Jaquar, the Web, and the Fly/Fly-girl. But they've got more in their stable of characters than that. They need to consider dusting off some of their lesser known (or even completely forgotten) characters and going from there. Some of these characters are virtually ciphers - and I can't help but think about how they could be used to springboard a new line of stories. Keep the Dark Circle branding, but shift the focus to something completely unfamiliar. Why not something with the great-grandchild of the Firefly, who discovers an album of his adventures and clippings in an box in an attic (and then gets inspired to learn more, and then DO more)? Or the something similar with the Wizard?

    They should go back and mine the second and third tier stories of their anthology books (like Top Notch or Blue Ribbon) and see what they can find. Branch out by bringing to light the potential of characters that no one would think twice about.

    Dark Circle should be their indie brand to experiment with more than just the familiar (especially if all their going to do is add curse words and more violence -- which really isn't that big a deal today).

  15. #630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    I think what they might want to consider is going back to their pre-Archie MLJ characters, and seeing what's there. Their Red/Dark Circle line has been pretty much defined by the Comet, the Shield, Black Hood, Jaquar, the Web, and the Fly/Fly-girl. But they've got more in their stable of characters than that. They need to consider dusting off some of their lesser known (or even completely forgotten) characters and going from there. Some of these characters are virtually ciphers - and I can't help but think about how they could be used to springboard a new line of stories. Keep the Dark Circle branding, but shift the focus to something completely unfamiliar. Why not something with the great-grandchild of the Firefly, who discovers an album of his adventures and clippings in an box in an attic (and then gets inspired to learn more, and then DO more)? Or the something similar with the Wizard?

    They should go back and mine the second and third tier stories of their anthology books (like Top Notch or Blue Ribbon) and see what they can find. Branch out by bringing to light the potential of characters that no one would think twice about.

    Dark Circle should be their indie brand to experiment with more than just the familiar (especially if all their going to do is add curse words and more violence -- which really isn't that big a deal today).
    I think that would've been their plan. They wanted to make sure their big guns could work before they started to push their lesser-known characters. It didn't work because of low sales or schedule slips etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •