View Poll Results: What is your religion?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Atheism

16 27.12%
  • Buddhism

1 1.69%
  • Christianity

30 50.85%
  • Islam

3 5.08%
  • Judaim

2 3.39%
  • Satanism

2 3.39%
  • Taoism

0 0%
  • Others

5 8.47%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Atheist, formerly Lutheran, I honestly have nothing bad to say about my church experiences and my family still practices but it just wasn't for me. So slowly went from non-practicing, to agnostic, to atheist.

Raised Christian, baptized and all. I still follow the basic moral base of it, and I do listen to teachings/opinions. However I like to decide/interpret things for myself and never follow blindly
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

Quote Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
    Well, what is your religion?
    And why do you believe in your religion?
    I was raised Protestant Christian but now atheist or at least agnostic. I could buy deism, but mostly towards atheist because of the lack of evidence and massive evidence of how contradictory and inconsistent with evidence religions are. I'm one of those who sees irony in "atheism" being listed as a religious belief because not believing things without evidence or refusing to believe things that lack evidence is the antithesis of a religious belief.

Oh, reason for [lack of] belief: absence of evidence for beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Islam is odd because it is one of the few 'belief' systems with a built-in name, Islam (submission to God). Most others, in fact this applies pretty much to everything, are names given by outsiders to identify the group. However in Arabic there is no word that corresponds with the word religion.
    Interesting, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
    Well, what is your religion?
    And why do you believe in your religion?
    What I believe in would have to be what I can love and respect and see truth or rationality to.

Hence I must challenge and doubt and mock anything and all sanctimoniousness before I would or could be respecting any of it.

Whether I can feel any respect toward any religion or institution or God or prophets will at least take up the full of my own lifetime, or else it

wouldn't be respectful. Before or in order to take whatever stance in life one should live it, with enough self-doubt and truthfulness all the

way into the grave. Then we can talk.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-07-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Catholic and Buddhist. Just this past Sunday, I paid homage to the Tian Tan Buddha in the afternoon and just made it in time to attend Sunday evening mass.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    That's an interesting statement. What would you call an organized or wide-spread belief system?

In a non Euro-centric way, what would you call Shinto or Buddhism or Hindu or Native American Shamanism?
    I generally don't separate 'religion' from culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Interesting, thank you.
    I'm more or less repeating the work of Wilfred Cantwell Smith from his book the Meaning and End of Religion.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 01-07-2015 at 11:12 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

I dont follow a religion. But that doesnt mean I dont believe in "god", whatever it may be.

In my opinion, theres no point in worshipping it. Because if god exists, and surely something must, because theres something that holds solid form in its unique shapes, down to its atoms. And something that makes nature work the way it does. Meaning there's a pattern things follow.

So its almost like a computer program, and I dont see a point of worshiping a program. But at the same time I dont see the point in denying it, since thats ignorance. It simply, just is.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I'm with Jeff. Atheism is a religion the same way that not collecting stamps is a hobby.
    Depends on how much effort you put into not collecting stamps and whether or not you consider not collecting stamps to be a core part of your identity.

BANNED

I'd agree if you're like a Newdow or a Dawkins and actively promote atheism and live to debate religious folk about their beliefs then that's a bit of a different thing than most atheists I know who tend not to care much beyond having fun discussing the topic on occasion. Still wouldn't call it a religion.

Fantastic Member

Born & Raised a Hindu; not sure it can be called an organised religion - disorganised, sure.
    Also, you do know that strands of Buddhism, Jainism & even Hinduism are or can be atheistic and\or agnostic to a certain extent - atheism is the lack of belief in god, the opposite to theism, not the opposite to religion.

Quote Originally Posted by FaerieGodfather View Post
    Depends on how much effort you put into not collecting stamps and whether or not you consider not collecting stamps to be a core part of your identity.
    Nope.

You can make a career out of being an atheist, that still doesn't make it a religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I generally don't separate 'religion' from culture.

I'm more or less repeating the work of Wilfred Cantwell Smith from his book the Meaning and End of Religion.
    Perhaps "beliefs" would fit better than "religion".

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I guess if I fell into a category the closest fit would be agnosticism.

BANNED

I'm a Jehovah's Witness.