Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Ant-Man, #1

Scott Lang gets his shot at the titular role in "Ant-Man" #1, written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Ramon Rosanas.

Full review here.

Now I gotta read it. SIGH!
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Astonishing Member

It's really amazing how overwhelmingly positive the industry's response to this first issue has been. Both Comic Vine and Newsarama gave it perfect scores, which in the latter's case is fairly rare.

If Spencer and Rosanas keep it up, this could be 2015's Hawkeye.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    +1

10char
    #MagnetoWasRight

All-New Member

As if the rest of the review wasn't compelling enough, you hooked me with the last few words.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

This comic was great. I can see it winning Scott Lang some new fans.

Astonishing Member

I was actually surprised by how good it was.

It's a great primer for Scott Lang and Ant-Man in general, although I think it functions better as a one-shot than an opening for an ongoing.

I did not find it as entertaining as Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, but it's still well-crafted and shows a lot of potential. Now it really depends on where Spencer plans on taking this story.

I came in a skeptic but I ended up liking this issue a lot. Acts as a good primer for who Scott Lang is for the most part and clearly sets the stage for things to come. There's just a lot of heart in this. Spencer hit all the right notes in the issue and Rosanas' art was good as well.

I'm surprised at how much I liked it. Love the book's tone, it does kind of feel like a great spiritual replacement to Fraction's Hawkeye.
    I was a little confused by [SPOILER]Cassie's appearance as I didn't read the Avengers World arc where she was brought back to life. The book also mentions she's 14? Really? Sure seemed a lot older when she was an active Avenger.[/SPOILER]
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-07-2015 at 10:01 PM.

I gotta admit, this was quite good. Even though there was no Pym. It was charming, Scott was charming. Plus at the end of the day im just a sucker for Ant-Man. I didn't expect to like this as much as i did. It also helps that the art is excellent, and kind of perfect for the book. So ya, im on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I'm surprised at how much I liked it. Love the book's tone, it does kind of feel like a great spiritual replacement to Fraction's Hawkeye.
    I was a little confused by Cassie's appearance as I didn't read the Avengers World arc where she was brought back to life. The book also mentions she's 14? Really? Sure seemed a lot older when she was an active Avenger.
    Nick Spencer said on his tumblr that Cassie is 15.

http://nickspencerly.tumblr.com/post...hat-i-am-going

Scott is just confused by their personal timelines after all the shenanigans they've been through.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I was a little confused by [SPOILER]Cassie's appearance as I didn't read the Avengers World arc where she was brought back to life. The book also mentions she's 14? Really? Sure seemed a lot older when she was an active Avenger.[/SPOILER]
    Cassie was 14 at the beginning of the Young Avengers, IIRC.

Billy and Teddy were 16 throughout the YA existence until the most recent Gillen/Mckelvie installment where they were 17 so I can buy that Cassie is still 14 I suppose. Maybe she had a birthday not long after her death and she's actually 15 now.
    Nearly all the YA artists aged the characters significantly, per typical superhero comic fashion -- especially the gals. Cassie being a size changer also easily alters age perception, imho.

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

Never read Ant-Man before but I picked this up on a whim and bloody loved it! It was brilliant how it was honest and didn't take itself too seriously.

The Cbr review staff, owes this book a half of star, this was definitely, ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ material, I loved it, from beginning to end, heartfelt and funny, with great art...
    #MagnetoWasRight