Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I'm glad I picked this book up on a whim - it was great. Really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    I haven't read my copy yet, but it sounds like it's written in the same style as Superior Foes Of Spider-Man was. If that's the case, now those of you who never read
    that book know what you missed out on. Hopefully, I'll get to it soon. I'm so far behind now, though.
    Actually not really, Superior Foes is much more playful and knowing in its narration with a touch of ironic self importance, this has more emotional honesty and undertones of depression. But your point stands, this is a writer at the top of his game being encouraged to push the boundaries at Marvel. Writers like this are bridging the gap between the tone of the movies and the comics.

Easily my favourite comic of the week, feels longer than its page count due to the excellent layout work and the pacing. For me this shows more promise than any Marvel comic in the whole Now era, and I have read the vast bulk of them. Perhaps the early promise of Young Avengers matched it: although that title's style and shere coolness remained top notch the story never did it for me and the aging of Loki was a misstep. Mind you Angela is showing a lot of promise too. Here's hoping one of them lives up to it because the track record is poor for long runs in the current era.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I noticed that too and I interpreted things as such:
    A) Evil Ex Wife/Mom is in heavy avoidance mode, refusing to acknowledge Cassie's prior heroing history since it brought about Cass's death.
    B) Upon restoration by way of Doom, Cassie perhaps came back different: Maybe lacking her previous powerset? Maybe lacking memories? Time will tell.

That minor "Hmm?" aside, I gotta say that this book was worth every penny. Its the only thing I picked up and I feel more fulfilled by it then I have felt buying several books at times. Tremendously written and superbly crafted. Hilarious. Heart felt.
    And my gawd, the cameos! I love me some cleverly added plot appropriate cameos! My boys Victor and David?? Sensational! Its little winks and nods to the readers like that, that really add a little something extra on this enjoyment train! If this caliber of story continues, this is easily climbing to my top reads/fave books quickly.

Oh.
    And one final comment. Spencer succeeded in properly handling Cassie in a way that endeared her to me at times (chatting with Dad on the way home about the high school social political system) and then reminded me what an absolute pill she can be (the oh-so-pretentious rant arguing the superiority of Battle Royale over the Hunger Games). Attaboy Spence!
    I didn't see Peggy as evil. I understand her perspective. She's a mom who's daughter just came back from the dead. She's gonna be a little over-protective. Even given Cassie's capabilities.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    They were hanging out together in Scott's apartment watching tv in a scene of Avengers World that directly preceded this (where Cassie was resurrected). It was set during AXIS

It looked like Darla was kind of bored of Scott because he wasn't exciting enough.
    I have read AW and still it seems to me that they wiped off Darla with little reason and class

They took 12 issue of FF to build their relationship and now they close it with one panel on AW? Moreover, in those two pages they are not even arguing, she is just like "I dont want to watch TV tonight, why dont we play superheroes" and the next thing happening is the Living Dead knocking on their door... a more detailed description of what happened between Cassie's return and Antman 1 would be very much appreciated by an enthusiastic reader of FF like me!

So I really hope Darla is showing up again in Antman new series!

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I didn't see Peggy as evil. I understand her perspective. She's a mom who's daughter just came back from the dead. She's gonna be a little over-protective. Even given Cassie's capabilities.
    Oh of course she isn't evil.
    I was just being playful.
    Her concerns make total sense, especially in lieu of her resurrection.

Amazing Member

I have asked about Darla on Spencer's tumblr, let's see if he is going to answer.

Anyway, I have just read his CBR interview, and still he does not mention Darla at all. It seems the series is just about Scott and Cassie, so we have little hope to see Ms. Thing again

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I very much enjoyed the issue. I read Irredamable Ant-Man and Avenger A.I. with Pym in a starring role cause I like the Ant-Man concept. Try as I could the art in that FF book with Lang I could not stomach it so I'm glad to be able to get Ant-Man #1.

The issue did a great job of explaining to anyone whose never read Lang OR Ant-Man what he and the history of the characters bullet high points are while still leaving lots of material for later. What I truly liked was how it played out similar to Edmondson's Black Widow or how the Moon Knight book has been, solid one/done stories. Old school where an undercurrent B-story could play out but is accessible to anyone who might pick up an issue. We'll see how it plays out once it gets going next month though I suppose. Nice to see Cassie alive, even if I had to read the interview to know how. I trade wait "events" so the happenings in AXIS are largely unknown to me at present.

My nitpicks would be:
    - Does he really have to slum it get a job? I get that this angle sets the stage for the issue, just don't think it had to be played out the way it did.
    - If he wants to prove, to himself if no one else, that he's not going to be flaky and can make something "stick" he owed Stark a phone call about bailing to Miami. Yeah, Stark was a bit of a tool but a man looking to prove himself needs to make that phone call.

I think it's cool he's going to be in Miami. I find that as refreshing as Punisher has been in LA/Mexico(great run by the way if anyone isn't reading it). Being in Florida I totally need Man-Thing to show up. A follow-up to what he's been up to since Thunderbolts(the proper version of the team) ended needs to happen. Manny has a voice again now after all these years!!
    Alejandra, Ghost Rider, I can see Miami as a place a distraught Nicaraguan might settle after the events in her GR series concluded.
    I'd like to see some villains created whole cloth for Scott as well, really develop a few Rogues that Ant-Man can call his own.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'm halfway through and I think I'm done. This issue was really difficult, I feel like spencer went from a super awesome underground musician to a jingle writer. Effort and soul aren't really the same things, huh.
    -

Agreed. Are we not yet tired of the "lovable loser" pretense for making a character relatable? The job interview dialogue was just painful and a very amateurish way of keying us into the character's history. And the ex being a bitch but only doing it for their child (as well as being totally oblivious to the fact that Scott was also once dead himself). And the satyr Tony Stark. And the made-up factoids and attempts to key us in that insects are not just the equivalent of Moleman's mole-oids for Scott (Chuck Barris is a really dated reference). Hard to believe there were any more cliches Spencer could sandwich into this piece of tripe.

i was skeptical at first but i picked this up and thought it was a good story. a bit too heavy on the dialogue - and cassie seems to be retconned away from being giant-girl. i think that's best for her however. looking forward to more from this team.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I had my doubts about this book, because I'm not quite as in love with Superior Foes as everybody else and not too keen on Avengers World either, but it really impressed me. Some strong emotional beats whilst establishing Lang's situation and support characters and I got a few chuckles too.

Roll on #2.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i was skeptical at first but i picked this up and thought it was a good story. a bit too heavy on the dialogue - and cassie seems to be retconned away from being giant-girl. i think that's best for her however. looking forward to more from this team.
    Cassie wasn't retconned according to Spence.
    Just overprotective blame/shame word choice by Mom, and absent mindedness from Dad.

maybe she's brain damaged or traumatized then. it's too much of a coincidence that she doesn't even mention her old life or friends.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    maybe she's brain damaged or traumatized then. it's too much of a coincidence that she doesn't even mention her old life or friends.
    The friends she only sought out because the Runaways were too hobo-chic to join?
    The friends she used to steal her Dad's stuff from the demolished/abandoned Avengers Mansion?
    The friends she turned her back on during the Civil War?
    The friends she manipulated into endangering the space/time continuum to get her Dad back?

Its always been about her Dad.
    They were just place holders.

Astonishing Member

Paged through it, but the art wasn't my cup of tea. A bit too indy for my tastes. It did it's job of telling a story, but I want some flare in my artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    This comic was great. I can see it winning Scott Lang some new fans.
    Agreed I don't know who Scott Lang is but this comic was such a fun read and great art as well i'm all in
    Is someone able to scan the panel on page 15 where Cassie is saying that Battle Royale is not like Hunger Games please
    Last edited by PLG1962; 01-15-2015 at 12:36 PM.