Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 341
  1. #256
    Astonishing Member El_Gato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    First, I don't want anyone to replace Ray Palmer as the Atom.

    I'm all for diversity being added into the DCU. Have you seen the Skyrocket Appreciation thread that I keep updating? Also, making sure Black Lightning gets his dues.
    That's what I like....diverse characters with identities all their own. Black Lightning, Vixen, Bumblebee, Skyrocket, Striker Z, Vibe, Amazing Man, and Fire. Just don't take away an existing character and replace him/her with an ethnic version because you feel pressure to do so. The ones I mentioned above weren't created to do that as I feel Ryan and Jaime were. I don't have a problem with an ethnic character taking up a legacy mantle when it's done right, which I think was the case with Tarantula (Catalina Flores).

    I'm gay and I'm definitely not crazy about The Ray (Ray Terrill) all of a sudden being revealed as gay (or Iceman from Marvel for that matter). They felt forced too IMHO. However, I didn't have a problem with Aqualad coming out (I felt it was faintly hinted at when he was introduced in Brightest Day).

    Also, I'm an advocate for diversity when it comes to team books if you notice the characters I choose whenever those "who do you want on such and such team" threads.

    I hope I cleared up my stance on diversity /replacement heroes for you...peace.
    No offence but I feel this is an utterly ridiculous stance to take! The DCU has always been a universe built on legacy! From the Silver Age characters replacing their Golden Age counterparts (Hal/Alan, Barry/Jay, Ray/Al, Barbara/Bette, Ted/Dan...etc) to the modern age where they themselves have been replaced for a certain period of time as well (Kyle/Hal, Wally/Barry, Ryan/Ray, Cass/Steph/Barbara, Jaime/Ted...etc). Legacy is a corner stone of the DC Universe!

    Problems only arise when the successor becomes extremely popular (Kyle, Cass, Steph) or in rarer cases more popular than the predecessor (Jaime). That's when stupid fan wars start and certain fans start clinging to the silver age incarnations despite them not being the orignals either.

    Tell me why is Ryan/Jaime replacing Ray/Ted any different than Ray/Ted replacing Al/Dan in the 60's? Nostalgia is one hell of a drug!

    PS: It's only a matter of time until those so called"original minority" characters get legacies of their own! Vixen is already heading in that direction!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

  2. #257
    Astonishing Member Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know when Johns was talking about potential or future Rebirth books he said Atom(s) rather then just Atom, so take from that what you will.

    I mean, I'm not really worried about Ray since he's still used in most media, but sometimes I can't help but think...
    An Atoms book with both characters defending Ivy Town would be awesome!

  3. #258
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    41,649

    Default

    Speaking about the Atom legacy, I liked that moment in JSA when the JSA's secret weapon was Ray and he gets into Atom-Smasher's head and tells him Al Pratt would be disappointed in him.

    Cool stuff .

  4. #259
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Speaking about the Atom legacy, I liked that moment in JSA when the JSA's secret weapon was Ray and he gets into Atom-Smasher's head and tells him Al Pratt would be disappointed in him.

    Cool stuff .
    Loved that twist.

    Although, if we're counting Albert as part of the Atom legacy and not just the three Atom's, then he's BY FAR my favorite.

  5. #260
    Astonishing Member Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    That's a pretty bad-ass cover. What do you guys think of Ray's return in JLA?
    I REALLY enjoyed Ray's appearance in the recent JLA arc. He was the only reason I picked that title up for a bit. I hate that in the end it looks like Ray will be largely forgotten in favor of Ryan again. We have tons of Green Lanterns and several Flashes. I'm not sure why we can't have two Atoms. It's a win-win for Ray and Ryan fans.

  6. #261
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    14,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    I REALLY enjoyed Ray's appearance in the recent JLA arc. He was the only reason I picked that title up for a bit. I hate that in the end it looks like Ray will be largely forgotten in favor of Ryan again. We have tons of Green Lanterns and several Flashes. I'm not sure why we can't have two Atoms. It's a win-win for Ray and Ryan fans.
    Same here. I liked this arc a lot and it was cool to see Ray back.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever"--Isaiah 40:8

    “A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy’s shoulder to let him know that the world hadn't ended.”--Batman

    “You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views.”--The Doctor

  7. #262
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    I REALLY enjoyed Ray's appearance in the recent JLA arc. He was the only reason I picked that title up for a bit. I hate that in the end it looks like Ray will be largely forgotten in favor of Ryan again. We have tons of Green Lanterns and several Flashes. I'm not sure why we can't have two Atoms. It's a win-win for Ray and Ryan fans.
    It really didn't come off like Ray will be forgotten. Especially with Batman saying he needs his help in regards to Doctor Manhattan in the coming months.

  8. #263
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ1107 View Post
    It really didn't come off like Ray will be forgotten. Especially with Batman saying he needs his help in regards to Doctor Manhattan in the coming months.
    At worst, he's been put on the bus.

    And, as of late, mass transit in the DC Universe has been getting better and more regular.

  9. #264
    Astonishing Member Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    At worst, he's been put on the bus.

    And, as of late, mass transit in the DC Universe has been getting better and more regular.
    HA! I like that quote.

    I think they could do a really interesting Sword of the Atom like story with Ray protecting the microverse. I will be interested to see if Ray makes an appearance in Doomsday Clock since Batman gave him that assignment.

  10. #265
    Spectacular Member Tenzel Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    I think they could do a really interesting Sword of the Atom like story with Ray protecting the microverse.
    I'd love to see such a book. While I've always liked the Atom, the Sword of the Atom was the book that made me love the character. The microverse setting would enable them to lots of varied stuff as you'd have a ton of different worlds and science to add to the swords and sorcery stuff.

  11. #266
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    I REALLY enjoyed Ray's appearance in the recent JLA arc. He was the only reason I picked that title up for a bit. I hate that in the end it looks like Ray will be largely forgotten in favor of Ryan again. We have tons of Green Lanterns and several Flashes. I'm not sure why we can't have two Atoms. It's a win-win for Ray and Ryan fans.
    Yeah, I don't agree Ray is forgotten, with batman asking him to get involved with the button mystery.

  12. #267
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    HA! I like that quote.

    I think they could do a really interesting Sword of the Atom like story with Ray protecting the microverse. I will be interested to see if Ray makes an appearance in Doomsday Clock since Batman gave him that assignment.
    Now I like that. Keeps him active, but doesn't deprive the hero world of an Atom....and he's still quite available.

    ("Put a character on the bus" is a term Priest used; you don't kill off a character...you just get them out of the thick of things and put them back in the toybox, ready to be used by someone else.)

  13. #268
    all cops are bastards Elmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sesame Street
    Posts
    2,167

    Default

    It seems like Ray will be very important to Doomsday Clock somehow. That being said I hope that afterwards he doesn't disappear; he is my favorite DC character.

    Do you guys remember this old Atom short from the Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure? One of my faves



    I thought his intro sequence was really well done despite there not being any music for it.
    i'm always online and i'm nice on there

  14. #269
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,347

    Default

    @Elmo I think I've actually seen this! Must have caught it on Boomerang.

  15. #270
    Astonishing Member Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    It seems like Ray will be very important to Doomsday Clock somehow. That being said I hope that afterwards he doesn't disappear; he is my favorite DC character.

    Do you guys remember this old Atom short from the Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure? One of my faves




    I thought his intro sequence was really well done despite there not being any music for it.
    Oh man that was fun! Thanks for sharing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •