Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Guys, how do you shave?

No, I'm not looking for someone to explain it to me.

Shaving is a task that I've never put much thought into, but I've recently stumbled across a lot of conversations and chatter on the subject: straight razors vs cartridges, custom shaving creams vs soap-and-water, the merits of a barbershop shave, et cetera.

In fact, I recently purchased a Truman Kit from Harry's Razors (link) based on a recommendation, and I was impressed enough with it (and the concept of an automatic refill subscription) that I've started to give my grooming routine some serious consideration.

So, I'm curious about how others approach the subject. Tell me about your shaving habits. What do you use to shave, and why? How often? Do you have a "shaving plan" subscription, like from Harry's or Dollar Shave Club? Is a barbershop shave worth the time and money? Is a shaving brush worth investing in?

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Cheap Good News razors and cheap Colgate shaving cream. I shave once with the grain, then again against. If I go against first, it roughs up my skin too much. If I go just with the grain, it's not a clean enough shave.

All your questions are going to be according to the specifics of your skin and beard. Everyone's is different.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Electric razer. Get as close as I can. Though I usually just let it grow out. A barber shop shave is preferable but expensive and rare to find a shop that still does it. I used to shave in the shower. But razors are expensive.

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

I've been using shaving soap with a badger brush for about 10 years now and rarely, if ever, develop any sort of rash/ingrown hairs after shaving. Sometimes when I travel I'll use say Gillette shaving cream or something similar and it never goes well. I have to spend twice as much time prepping my face to avoid rashes than I do with the shave brush. The other nice thing is those soaps last so much longer than shaving cream from a can.

I use Mach 3 razors, although I've been considering changing to something else or going back to a straight razor. It's not that it's bad, but straight razor was always a closer shave.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

Merkur razor, various razor blades, and Proraso soap (either with the brush or the canister)

I usually use Gilette shaving cream and razors.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Back from the dead! Radioactive Zombie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Cheap Good News razors and cheap Colgate shaving cream. I shave once with the grain, then again against. If I go against first, it roughs up my skin too much. If I go just with the grain, it's not a clean enough shave.

All your questions are going to be according to the specifics of your skin and beard. Everyone's is different.
    I usually rely on Bic's razors if there's nothing else, I find any razor made in China way too damn scrappy for a cut that doesn't feel like I just sandpapered myself.

Also, remember to apply thick lotion.

BANNED

10 minutes with an electric, once a week. I'm not fussed if I miss a few bits.

Back from the dead! Radioactive Zombie's Avatar

I envy those who can forego shaving for more than two days. If I don't shave, I look like a total fucking slob, not helped by the double chin.

Quote Originally Posted by Radioactive Zombie View Post
    I envy those who can forego shaving for more than two days. If I don't shave, I look like a total fucking slob, not helped by the double chin.
    I have this scattered, infrequent distribution of facial hair that, if I let it grow for a few days, becomes this Asian-type longstubble. The only thing that looks good on me is a circle beard. I actually didn't start shaving until I was 23 because I had been trying to grow a beard for 7 years. I'd trim it down with scissors every so often. It never went anywhere and it looked terrible. I don't normally care for looks, but I'm glad I discovered the razor.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I've used Mach 3 for the last few years. Got a big pack of cartridges back then that I am coming near the end of. For most of that time I have used Barbasol. The arctic chill scent is my favorite. Recently got a can of gillette aloe gel. I'm doing okay with that too.

I wet my face with hot water before applying the cream or gel. With the grain once. Occasionally I will go over an area a second time if need be. I haven't been using after shave or lotion. Though the latter is probably worth considering. I shave every other day pretty much.

For most of this time I have been using the same razor and cream for any body shaving I want to do as well. Works fine. Though I need to do it far less often.
    Last edited by Jadis; 05-15-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post

Shaving is a task that I've never put much thought into, but I've recently stumbled across a lot of conversations and chatter on the subject: straight razors vs cartridges, custom shaving creams vs soap-and-water, the merits of a barbershop shave, et cetera.

In fact, I recently purchased a Truman Kit from Harry's Razors (link) based on a recommendation, and I was impressed enough with it (and the concept of an automatic refill subscription) that I've started to give my grooming routine some serious consideration.

So, I'm curious about how others approach the subject. Tell me about your shaving habits. What do you use to shave, and why? How often? Do you have a "shaving plan" subscription, like from Harry's or Dollar Shave Club? Is a barbershop shave worth the time and money? Is a shaving brush worth investing in?
    Reguar Bar soap, then With a disposable single blade razor, follows by a cheap 6 blade razor. If I try to start with a the 6 blade it becomes too clogged to use in half a shave, and the singles require too many repeated pass to get my face clean shaven , my face gets raw. .

I have a five o'clock shadow, Now white, by noon or so

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    I plant my feet into the ground and will each hair follicle out of my face.
    If you have a YouTube tutorial of this, please post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post

Using a MACH III razor, I shave my head/face every other day, my pits/chest 2x weekly.

Electric shaver for me. Still, Gillette can go eat a bag of dicks.