Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Guys, how do you shave?

No, I'm not looking for someone to explain it to me.

Shaving is a task that I've never put much thought into, but I've recently stumbled across a lot of conversations and chatter on the subject: straight razors vs cartridges, custom shaving creams vs soap-and-water, the merits of a barbershop shave, et cetera.

In fact, I recently purchased a Truman Kit from Harry's Razors (link) based on a recommendation, and I was impressed enough with it (and the concept of an automatic refill subscription) that I've started to give my grooming routine some serious consideration.

So, I'm curious about how others approach the subject. Tell me about your shaving habits. What do you use to shave, and why? How often? Do you have a "shaving plan" subscription, like from Harry's or Dollar Shave Club? Is a barbershop shave worth the time and money? Is a shaving brush worth investing in?

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Cheap Good News razors and cheap Colgate shaving cream. I shave once with the grain, then again against. If I go against first, it roughs up my skin too much. If I go just with the grain, it's not a clean enough shave.

All your questions are going to be according to the specifics of your skin and beard. Everyone's is different.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Electric razer. Get as close as I can. Though I usually just let it grow out. A barber shop shave is preferable but expensive and rare to find a shop that still does it. I used to shave in the shower. But razors are expensive.

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

I've been using shaving soap with a badger brush for about 10 years now and rarely, if ever, develop any sort of rash/ingrown hairs after shaving. Sometimes when I travel I'll use say Gillette shaving cream or something similar and it never goes well. I have to spend twice as much time prepping my face to avoid rashes than I do with the shave brush. The other nice thing is those soaps last so much longer than shaving cream from a can.

I use Mach 3 razors, although I've been considering changing to something else or going back to a straight razor. It's not that it's bad, but straight razor was always a closer shave.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

Merkur razor, various razor blades, and Proraso soap (either with the brush or the canister)

I usually use Gilette shaving cream and razors.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

I use gel rather than foam and Mach 3 blades. I shave twice a day when I'm working (when I get up and again at the start of the evening) and give my face a rest on days off. Moisturiser helps.

Getting a shave from the barber is a luxury I enjoy every few weeks.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I shave with a Mach 3, too. I've been pretty happy with it over the years. I use Edge Sensitive Skin gel.

I don't use aftershave, though. I use a moisturizer. I have fairly sensitive skin, and I've found that aftershave would always irritate my face causing blotches and the occasional rash. I used to splurge on Kiehl's, but it's so damn expensive for a small amount that I began experimenting with other moisturizers. To be frank, the cheap generic Equaline moisturizer I've been using for a year works every bit as good as the Kiehl's at about 1/100 of the price.

One leg at a time
    What have I always believed?
    That, on the whole, and by and large, if a man lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, in the end, more or less, turn out all right.

BANNED

I plant my feet into the ground and will each hair follicle out of my face.

Or I wet my face with hot water use some Barbasol and a safety razor then rinse with cold water.
    Maybe throw on some aftershave if I feel like it.

My grandfather taught me how, so I've stuck with it.

Writer/Editor/Superhero Marc Lombardi's Avatar

I get my razors from Dollar Shave Club. Their cheapest ones are pretty good (the single blades) but I recently upgraded to the double blade.

I generally shave once or twice a week (more often if I have a meeting at the office). Sometimes if I'm letting the beard grow out a bit I may go upwards of a week or two with just trimming it up. If I'm going from anything more than a stubble I'll use an electric beard trimmer to bring it back to stubble, use an electric razor to get the stubble down, and then shave (often with no lather/cream, just hot water) with a DSC blade to get it smooth. And I also tend to shave upward rather than downward -- which I know is wrong.
    Writer / Editor / Production / Talent Acquisition - www.grayhavencomics.com
    Promotions/Social Media - www.shadowlineonline.com
    Twitter - @marclombardi

I have two different electric razors. I have to switch back and forth between them while shaving, because they each do a better job with certain spots than the other. It's a bit of a pain. I hate shaving, so I often go about two weeks before grumbling and going into the bathroom to do it.

For years now, I've maintained what I call "The Oldman."

I wish this style had an actual name. It's not a goatee and it's not a Van Dyke. I never know what to call it exactly.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

BANNED

Gilette shaving cream + razer. :b

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I never know what to call it exactly.
    http://www.askmen.com/grooming/appea...tyles-101.html

The Circle Beard.

I use a Wilkinson Sword Quattro Titanium with disposable razors for my daily shave. When I feel exceptionally lazy, I'll just do the cheeks with an electric razor, and let a circle beard grow.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me