Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Has anybody ever had a shave with a straight razor before?
    I get one every birthday! Love it!
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Has anybody ever had a shave with a straight razor before? A few years ago, I went to a barber shop, and near the end of cutting my hair the lady asked if I'd like a shave, too. I thought "Sure, why not?" Would save me the trouble of doing it myself, so I said yes. Of course, I was expecting a regular razor, and instead she whips out a straight razor! I didn't want to freak and tell her I changed my mind, so I let her continue. She put this nice warm shaving cream on my face, started shaving with the straight razor, and oh my god . . . it was the absolute best and smoothest shave I've ever had in my life. It seemed like my facial hair didn't even start growing back for at least a couple of days.

I would never attempt a straight razor shave myself, but when it's done by somebody who knows what they're doing, it's great.
    I have that done every time I go to the barber shop.
    It's worth it.

Back from the dead! Radioactive Zombie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Cheap Good News razors and cheap Colgate shaving cream. I shave once with the grain, then again against. If I go against first, it roughs up my skin too much. If I go just with the grain, it's not a clean enough shave.

All your questions are going to be according to the specifics of your skin and beard. Everyone's is different.
    I usually rely on Bic's razors if there's nothing else, I find any razor made in China way too damn scrappy for a cut that doesn't feel like I just sandpapered myself.

Also, remember to apply thick lotion.

BANNED

10 minutes with an electric, once a week. I'm not fussed if I miss a few bits.

I envy those who can forego shaving for more than two days. If I don't shave, I look like a total fucking slob, not helped by the double chin.

Quote Originally Posted by Radioactive Zombie View Post
    I envy those who can forego shaving for more than two days. If I don't shave, I look like a total fucking slob, not helped by the double chin.
    I have this scattered, infrequent distribution of facial hair that, if I let it grow for a few days, becomes this Asian-type longstubble. The only thing that looks good on me is a circle beard. I actually didn't start shaving until I was 23 because I had been trying to grow a beard for 7 years. I'd trim it down with scissors every so often. It never went anywhere and it looked terrible. I don't normally care for looks, but I'm glad I discovered the razor.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I've used Mach 3 for the last few years. Got a big pack of cartridges back then that I am coming near the end of. For most of that time I have used Barbasol. The arctic chill scent is my favorite. Recently got a can of gillette aloe gel. I'm doing okay with that too.

I wet my face with hot water before applying the cream or gel. With the grain once. Occasionally I will go over an area a second time if need be. I haven't been using after shave or lotion. Though the latter is probably worth considering. I shave every other day pretty much.

For most of this time I have been using the same razor and cream for any body shaving I want to do as well. Works fine. Though I need to do it far less often.
    Last edited by Jadis; 05-15-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I have this scattered, infrequent distribution of facial hair that, if I let it grow for a few days, becomes this Asian-type longstubble. The only thing that looks good on me is a circle beard. I actually didn't start shaving until I was 23 because I had been trying to grow a beard for 7 years. I'd trim it down with scissors every so often. It never went anywhere and it looked terrible. I don't normally care for looks, but I'm glad I discovered the razor.
    Heh, I'm Asian and my hair grows incredibly fast, so I get this putrid neckbeard look in two days. I don't know what's more annoying, neckbeards, or ingrown hairs and... what's it called when you've just shaved and the hairs are growing back, and the stubble pokes you whenever you move about?

Honestly, circle beards look good on most dudes and I'm damn sure beard trimming is some sort of mystical black art that requires the sacrificed young of a goat, or something.

I use electric shaver or have the barber cut it. If I use any type of regular razor, days later my skin breaks out and get annoying ass bumps that won't leave until maybe weeks or months later. My skin is still sorta having to deal with dark marks from ingrown hairs. I have to use apricot acne creams to wash my face, first with hot/warm water than when I'm washing off, I'll use cool water to close up my pores. I use a cream called Bump Stopper 2 that actually works wonders with the bumps and marks on the skin. I came a really long way from how much nasty bumps I had on my face that really made me self conscious, but it's been years since I've had a razor touch my face and every now and then something happens where bumps start messing me up.

For normal everyday shaves I just use an electric razor. However, if a special event is coming up, I let it grow out 2-3 days and use a mach 3 razor for a closer shave. Id looked into using a straight edge, but I really think im too lazy to figure it out lol. I cant really shave everyday with normal razors as my skin seems to be too sensitive.

BANNED

Electric clippers for beard trimming and longer hair. After that, hot wet towel on the face/neck for a few minutes. Coconut oil liberally applied to skin, Mach3 razor.

I use a safety razor, Art Of Shaving product and a badger brush. It is the smoothest shave I have gotten outside of a straight razor.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Mach 3 and shaving gel.

Badger brush? I don't need no stinking badger brush!
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Store brand Mach 3 style razor and shaving cream in the shower. I do it at least every other day. Sometimes 3-4 days if I am lazy.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

I haven't clean shaved in about 7 years. I trim when I remember to.