Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default GRAYSON is a success - does that mean we'll never see Dick as a costumed hero again?

After nearly a year, GRAYSON is proving to be a success. A character best known for most of his history as the original Robin, the Boy Wonder and for a good thirty-year run as Nightwing has found a solid following as a character without the traditional costume- and codename trappings of the superhero.

Does GRAYSON's success, however, mean that we have seen the end of Dick Grayson as a traditional costumed superhero forever? Will we never again see him (other than flashback and nostalgia projects) in new adventures as Robin, Nightwing, Batman, or some other superhero identity?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Yes.

Nightwing will be back in a year or two.

This feels like it might be around for a few years, but I personally haven't been impressed by it yet.

Spectacular Member

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he returns to being a costumed superhero in the future, but it's also important to remember that there are lot of things that can be done with Agent Grayson.

Right now, DC is doing something they haven't done for the character in a long time which is to build him a world with a supporting cast that is unique to the character and notable enough to bring in an audience who wouldn't normally read a Dick Grayson book, all the while putting the character in a situation that would allow him to grow without retreading previous stories.

As long as the world of Grayson keeps building, I am in no rush to see him change back to a costumed superhero and certainly in no rush to see him revert back to Nightwing, which by the way would go against the core essence of the character.

I would like it if they Just gave him a Blue Nightwing inspired attire and keep him in the Spy world as Dick Grayson. Nightwing like Batman and Robin is a title that can only ever take him so far, however as Grayson he has a lot more potential and a world that has been built for him that challenges him and makes things interesting. Going back to Nightwing for a 3rd time is counterproductive and I think when he originally became Nightwing there were probable the same amount or even more people who would have liked for him to go back to being Robin.

Another famous spy used to say "never say never again".

That said, I'm in no rush to see this era of his life end anytime soon. It's DC's best book.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Quote Originally Posted by BloodOps View Post
    Yes.

Nightwing will be back in a year or two.
    God I hope not keep Grayson out of costume because:
    A)He was outed by the Crime Syndicate of Amerika
    B)This is an answer to Bendis' Powers & Alias books about former superheroes lives after the costume
    C)This one is important... Ready, Because Grayson is TEN TIMES BETTER THAN BOTH BOOKS DUE TO THE FACT DICK GRAYSON WAS A SUPERHERO THAT EVERYONE GREW UP WITH!!!!

I hope Nightwing makes a return in the near future, especially with Harper running around as the bootleg Nightwing knock off Blue Jay right now. I'm also really not a big fan of this whole spy life they've given Dick. This is not the say the Grayson title is bad, its pretty well written, Dick is clearly still Dick, and the art is fantastic, but Grayson as Nightwing will always be my personal favorite.

The Nightwing title's main problem was always uninspired writers or constant Batman tie-ins disrupting the book. If the Grayson creative team was put on to a Nightwing book and was given the freedom they currently have with the Grayson book, I'm positive we'd be reading great, refreshing, Nightwing stories right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Murrocko View Post
    I hope Nightwing makes a return in the near future, especially with Harper running around as the bootleg Nightwing knock off Blue Jay right now....
    I love Nightwing, and I mean love, love, love Nightwing, but this is exactly why Nightwing shouldn't make a return any time soon. There are too many Nightwing knock offs. They bastardized it. The way things are now Nightwing doesn't just need a good book, it needs to be redefined. They need to make it special again. But how do u do that when u have all these other sort of Nightwings running around.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-18-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't mind seeing him back in a costume but not as Nightwing, leave that in the past where it belongs.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I love Nightwing, and I mean love, love, love Nightwing, but this is exactly why Nightwing shouldn't make a return any time soon. There are too many Nightwing knock offs. They bastardized it. The way things are now Nightwing doesn't just need a good book, it needs to be redefined. They need to make it special again. But how do u do that when u have all these other sort of Nightwings running around.
    I agree the nightwing id no longer its own tone and place in the dcu. If dick go back to being nightwing again it would need to be built of grayson and the spy world.

I dont get it why do so many dick grayson fans want him to go back to being a batman character and one of batman's many soldiers when in grayson dick is his own character with his own world. Dick is finally peers with the justice league and people want him to go backwards? I don't get it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Murrocko View Post
    The Nightwing title's main problem was always uninspired writers or constant Batman tie-ins disrupting the book. .
    Treating him like Batman-lite.

EASIEST solution then, not to make him Batman-lite. Make him stand out..

Like, make him an adventure hero. A spy is a relatively unique action adventure hero for the Big Two....

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    After nearly a year, GRAYSON is proving to be a success. A character best known for most of his history as the original Robin, the Boy Wonder and for a good thirty-year run as Nightwing has found a solid following as a character without the traditional costume- and codename trappings of the superhero.

Does GRAYSON's success, however, mean that we have seen the end of Dick Grayson as a traditional costumed superhero forever? Will we never again see him (other than flashback and nostalgia projects) in new adventures as Robin, Nightwing, Batman, or some other superhero identity?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I hope not. Grayson was a great move forward unless Brucey kicks the bucket again.

Amazing Member

I wouldn't mind if Tim Drake took over the Nightwing role.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    I wouldn't mind if Tim Drake took over the Nightwing role.
    I would. The guy doesn't even care Dick is dead, he has no right to use his name.