Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    1) DC never thought about doing a shared universe, Marvel did it first (on live action, because cartoons DC did more than a decade before marvel)

2) we can't compare what is going now with was done before.

3) Things changed a lot since 2008 with the first iron man movie. DC only had Batman and superman movies, that more or less had the basic elements from comics lois, luthor, zod, joker, penguin. ok that the movies had modification on joker and penguin in function of the fantasy that the director is well known for.

4)The clois marriage on Lois & clark tv show had a good synergy with comics, the comics was out almost the same day that the TV show.

5) also Smallville pa kent died of heart attack, on the comics too. and All star too.

6) Say that it never happened is a not right

7) Marvel is doing very well with synergy movies/comics, if DC want to keep things their way fine. It's their loss.

8) Lemire introduced diggle that is a big deal, not minor. also felicity is on green arrow comics. The show is on season 3 sure, but it took a time to sync

9)or you think Marvel did it in 2008?

10) "Greg Berlanti said, “We made [the] Wests African-American so that we could head in that direction.” Then Kreisberg added, “When DC reintroduced Wally [in the New 52], he was African-American.”

seems very intentional and a signs of synergy.

11) I'm not sure if DC is interested, bleeding cool article said the contrary. But there is signs that DC in the past and present that DC used synergy with the tv shows. So I won't discard it so easily
    You realize we're arguing over exceedingly minor points right? But sure, let's beat this dead horse a few more times.

1) Immaterial.

2) Actually, when the same people are running the same company with the same characters in essentially the same way, we sort of can. Now granted, its not a sure-fire thing that DC is going to maintain the same business practices. They might start lining up their various media efforts more than they have in the past. And that is why I never said it wont happen ever. But going by forty years worth of history, there's no real indication that they're changing their ways either.

3) Yes, the superhero genre is different from '08. And the current success of the superhero in other media should adjust everyone's business plans. But again, there have been studies done that prove movies and video games and television shows dont impact comic book sales in any meaningful way. Marvel conducted this study, incidentally. As for the second part of that post, what does the content of the films matter to this particular discussion? We're not discussing content, we're discussing whether it's applied across different forms of media. What happened is not important, whether it happened the same way in multiple formats does.

4) Strange, I dont recall Lois being replaced by a frog-eating clone in the comic. But again, I've never said DC *never* bothers with synergy, merely that it *rarely* does.

5) Clark Kent is also an alien from a dead planet in all those versions too. That's not so much "synergy between media platforms" as it is "sticking to the general plot". The Kent's dying is not synergy. Superman wearing the costume from the recent movie in the comics and the cartoons would be synergy.

6) Which is why I've never said it.

7) Once again, it's been pretty well proven that financially, DC's not really losing anything. Now, maybe that could change at some point. Maybe comics will find a new delivery mechanic that reaches more people, and the millions who watched Dark Knight will start reading "Detective", but as of right now? It's not much of a loss at all.

8) The importance of a secondary supporting character is subjective, I suppose. I'll concede that. But, at least in Lemire's run, Diggle played second-fiddle to a pre-teen, an overweight Chinese delivery guy, and whatever the hell it was Naiomi did. If that's not at least close to "minor" Im not sure what is. As for Felicity, thanks, I had almost forgotten the abysmal first issue of the new run. And yeah, that's pure, unashamed synergy, but it's also the only title at DC which has gone to such lengths, and very only recently.

9) I know they did. Fraction's Invincible Iron Man began in July 08. The film came out May 2nd, 08. Marvel started synergizing its properties immediately. Invincible Iron Man's first story was about a Stane (the original had been long dead) and kept close to the tone, pacing, and sensibilities of the film.

10) Yup, sure is. Almost like DC *does* do it on occasion. Just like I've been saying they have.

11) Who's discarding it? It does happen. Not just a lot.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-09-2015 at 04:55 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Okay, guys, let's get things back on topic, shall we?
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

The SuperFamily kinda seems too far gone at this point to ever really be as functional a unit as the BatFamily. I can think of some ways that this could be changed, but they ALL involve reboots or parallel universes, which is a cop-out.

What are some ways the SuperFamily (Kal, Kara, Karen, Lar, Kon, Val, etc) can be made a more cohesive unit that could be done in-continuity (i.e. would NOT require a retcon, reboot or revamp)?

The Superfamily can grow to be decent again without any reboots. Its not unsalvageable by any stretch of the imagination. Repairing and/or building a relationship doesn't require retcons outside of some really serious unforgiveable stuff, and nothing like that has gone on within the Superfamily in the New 52. They're just not written to be that close is all. That's easily changeable.

start with Kal and Kara. Have them trust each other and bring in Kon more like he was pre 52. Have Steel become more of a partner to superman. Not sure about the earth two characters yet. Depends how the story shakes out