Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Angie the waitress might be a Leviathan agent.
    Yeah that much is obvious. And its interesting that Jarvis is simply playing the simple butler but has a darker more secretive motive. I would say he is a mix of the comic book jarvises with a bit of alfred mixed in.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-11-2015 at 12:36 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Well, this Edwin Jarvis is married (assumedly), compared to 616 who near as we can tell, never married. It will be interesting if we "never" see Mrs. Jarvis on-screen.
    But were Tony Stark's JARVIS a human, he'd be the right age to be Edwin's son and be as old as 616 Jarvis (assuming he's born in the next 10 years Carter time).

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    But were Tony Stark's JARVIS a human, he'd be the right age to be Edwin's son and be as old as 616 Jarvis (assuming he's born in the next 10 years Carter time).
    Isnt this set ten years before iron man 2's flashbacks? Tony was around 8 then right? Jarvis should be around 5 years oldrr than him I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    anybody notice they said the name Kurtzberg?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kirby
    You mean the mention of the law firm of Goodman, Kurtzberg and Lieber?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Goodman_(publisher)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Lee
    Cats, Comics, & Pie......
    www.dubipr.tumblr.com

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

If this is the 1940s, why is nobody smoking?

Those Foley actors sure do go through the groceries.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    If this is the 1940s, why is nobody smoking?

Those Foley actors sure do go through the groceries.
    Because every time the camera zips 'round to them, they're done.

BANNED

Oh. I thought it was supposed to be that Atwell has a solid figure that isn't a size two and looks like she could land a punch that HURTS....and still looks glamourous/fabulous.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-11-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    I found myself more distracted by Spider even owning that club in the first place.
    I was for a second but then I've heard a lot of old timers often say one of the positives of segregation was that blacks owned more businesses back then. So I'm guessing the club might've been in Harlem and given that black music (jazz, blues, hip hop, rock & roll) has always managed to cross over to white audiences, I wasn't surprised that he had white patrons. Although, having a primarily white staff didn't quite feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Oh. I thought it was supposed to be that Atwell has a solid figure that isn't a size two and looks like she could land a punch that HURTS....and still looks glamourous/fabulous.
    Now that's something that's rare on tv and film. An action heroine who isn't a waif.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-11-2015 at 12:39 PM.

Fantastic Member wickedmountain's Avatar

Watched the first episode on demand was great haven't watched the 2nd one yet .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    How was the typewriter a Fringe reference? Seems like the kind of thing you would see in any James Bondish spy stuff.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    its almost jarring to see a regular sized woman on tv as a lead. It was also interesting that they don't seem to be afraid to show her eating.

I really like the Cap radio show bits and hope they are going to continue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    I was for a second but then I've heard a lot of old timers often say one of the positives of segregation was that blacks owned more businesses back then. So I'm guessing the club might've been in Harlem and given that black music (jazz, blues, hip hop, rock & roll) has always managed to cross over to white audiences, I wasn't surprised that he had white patrons. Although, having a primarily white staff didn't quite feel right.
    Folks should look at the Wiki reference on The Cotton Club..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_Club

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    I found myself more distracted by Spider even owning that club in the first place.
    Did you know the first woman millionaire was black? And she wasn't Oprah.

Music and nightclubs were part of what was acceptable businesses for black people (along with black women's hair products where Madam CJ Walker made her million).

BANNED

as i mentioned in the comm minority thread, one of harlems famous clubs, the exclusive club, run by barron wilkins, one of harlems and ny's influential black businessman, was allegedly stopping black patrons from going to his club which made it almost exclusively white. i doubt it had white employees though. most black clubowners in harlem didn't exclude black or white patrons, unlike the new policies in the 40's by the white clubowners in harlem. funny enough, wilkins brother ran a segregated club where whites were barred.
    Last edited by 7thangel; 01-07-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DubipR View Post
    You mean the mention of the law firm of Goodman, Kurtzberg and Lieber?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Goodman_(publisher)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Lee
    Isn't that the law firm that will one day employ Jennifer Walters as well?

For me, I'm of two minds on the show. The first is accepting what we have and what we have is a glorious period drama that is sorely lacking these days (Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire are cable, not network) featuring a leading lady who I've been crushing on since First Avenger. The second part is the insane "It's all connected!" part of my brain that is already trying to puzzle out how the show will fit into the bigger MCU. Either way, the show is an absolute pleasure and I cannot wait to see what is to come.