Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

Enjoyable show. Met my expectations, which were something below Nikita and Alias levels but still good.

The show debuts with likable characters (and more than capable actors) and a sense of urgency. Though it's true we're somewhat familiar with some of them already.

With 8 episodes currently scheduled there is also no big commitment that the viewer has to make.

Long-time loiterer

I honestly didn't expect to like this that much. But having just caught up with S.H.I.E.L.D. (which I'm glad has finally found its footing), I figured I'd give it a go.

Loved it. Jarvis has just knocked Cap off the top spot as my favorite MCU character. And Atwell's probably made top three as well. I don't see why it wouldn't be in with a shot at getting renewed.

Bluebird

The tight scheduling of 8 episodes should also mean that the overall narrative won't suffer from needless filler and will be guaranteed to motor along every week.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    How was the typewriter a Fringe reference? Seems like the kind of thing you would see in any James Bondish spy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Sadly, I think it was that sexist. Have you seen Bletchley Circle? It addresses a lot of the same things and frustrations, for the women who worked at Bletchley.

That was a surprise to hear Atwell's American accent! But she was great at it. Though I agree, it did seem a waste of James Frain's lovely voice. The device he used to 'speak' was a bit hard for me to understand, but also kinda creepy.

LOVED that they used Roxxon Oil and they are in competition with Stark even at this time.
    I haven't seen Bletchley. I agree the period was sexist it just seemed like they were hitting us over the head again and again with it. I wonder if the disabled vet whose the only nice guy in the office will turn out to be a Leviathan mole

BANNED

Yeah, I get that Fringe had a typewriter. But it doesn't seem like a Fringe reference, it seems like the kind of James Bond stuff you see in Wild Wild West, Get Smart, The Man from Uncle, the Matt Helm movies, the Flint movies, and a number of other things. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before in something, with the razer receiver.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    I haven't seen Bletchley. I agree the period was sexist it just seemed like they were hitting us over the head again and again with it. I wonder if the disabled vet whose the only nice guy in the office will turn out to be a Leviathan mole
    Bletchley Circle is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Having a fetish for Haley Atwell isn't such a bad thing.

my nitpick is that apparently-- seemingly-- Spider the fence is (was) the owner (manager?) of this club In midtown Manhattan, and aside from the coatcheck girl, valets, stage performers and kitchen staff, no african americans were actual patrons of the club. (So did he convince people in Wartime Jim Crow-era NYC that he was simply a "brown Italian"? Heh.) Nonetheless, he gets a bullet in the head for his troubles. I'm sure that the Maggia will take over with no problem.
    Now that y mention it

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/...e-jim-crow-era

In mid-20th century America, the turban was a tool that people of color used for "confounding the color lines," writes Manan Desai, board member of the South Asian American Digital Archive.

At the time, ideas of race in America were quite literally black and white. In some places, if you could pass yourself off as something other than black, you could circumvent some amount of discrimination. People of color — both foreigners and African-Americans — employed this to their advantage. Some did it just to get by in a racist society, some to make a political statement, and others — performers and businessmen — to gain access to fame and money they wouldn't have otherwise had.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    I haven't seen Bletchley. I agree the period was sexist it just seemed like they were hitting us over the head again and again with it
    So, basically, you want to be politically correct and soften the sexism of the times?

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    my nitpick is that apparently-- seemingly-- Spider the fence is (was) the owner (manager?) of this club In midtown Manhattan, and aside from the coatcheck girl, valets, stage performers and kitchen staff, no african americans were actual patrons of the club. (So did he convince people in Wartime Jim Crow-era NYC that he was simply a "brown Italian"? Heh.) Nonetheless, he gets a bullet in the head for his troubles. I'm sure that the Maggia will take over with no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    as i mentioned in the comm minority thread, one of harlems famous clubs, the exclusive club, run by barron wilkins, one of harlems and ny's influential black businessman, was allegedly stopping black patrons from going to his club which made it almost exclusively white. i doubt it had white employees though. most black clubowners in harlem didn't exclude black or white patrons, unlike the new policies in the 40's by the white clubowners in harlem. funny enough, wilkins brother ran a segregated club where whites were barred.
    I wasn't able to find a page in the English Wikiepdia but here's a translation from the German one.
    https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
    In Barron's Exclusive Club, as a private club was performed and provided for a formal evening dress, reversed an elitist white audience. Although he Coloured club called, were African Americans not usually leave, only light-skinned Negroes as the comedian Bert Williams or the boxer Jack Johnson got access how Ada Smith recalled. [2] The Harlem Renaissance author Rudolph Fisher (which, because was too black, rejected) later wrote that the Barron's was not just a Negro theater, but a theater, which was run by blacks for whites.

I found a blog that said the same
    http://harlembespoke.blogspot.com/20...-on-134th.html
    Wilkins' Club would also invent the segregation system of Harlem's lounges by only allowing only whites to be patrons. There apparently were exception if one was black and extremely fair or abundantly famous. The other big three clubs which included Small's Paradise, the Cotton Club and Connie's Inn would open around 1922 or 1923 which was at least a half decade later than Barron Wilkin's establishment.

Bearing in mind that while segregation happened in the North it wasn't as predominant as in the South
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_...s#In_the_North
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_M...ican_American)
    Obviously other forms of racism still existed and do exist but the "whites only" signs were more of a Southern thing

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    So, basically, you want to be politically correct and soften the sexism of the times?
    I think we've become so used to the sanitized version of life presented in movies and comics of the period that when we're hit with the reality it seems like too much.

Can't even compare to the awesomeness of AoS but not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Can't even compare to the awesomeness of AoS but not bad.
    Would you recommend AC to others, or give it a spin on DVD/Blu-ray?

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I thought "Agent Carter" hit the ground running whereas "Agents of Shield" took a while to figure out what it wanted to be and get it's stuff together. Like it took more eps for AOS than Peggy is even going to get LOL.

Having a limited cast and focused plot (and no really long mystery that may or may not get resolved) makes me think it will be an enjoyable mini. I hope they do another adventure for Peggy next year.

BANNED

OK, watched it last night and I must say it's pretty decent. I spent a few minutes thinking that if the rumors about Wonder Woman's movie being a period piece are true, WB might want to take notes because Agent Carter was very much a Wonder Woman in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I thought "Agent Carter" hit the ground running whereas "Agents of Shield" took a while to figure out what it wanted to be and get it's stuff together. Like it took more eps for AOS than Peggy is even going to get LOL.

Having a limited cast and focused plot (and no really long mystery that may or may not get resolved) makes me think it will be an enjoyable mini. I hope they do another adventure for Peggy next year.
    Similarly, would you say the same for The Flash compared to Arrow, if you've watched them?

Interesting analysis. So, it's moreso comfortable with itself, sure of its' identity, whereas AOS would've been less sure-footed. An, sure, has the advantage of coming many years before the events of Phase One even began.

Though, perhaps a disadvantage, in that Tony, Thor, Bruce and even Steve himself can't appear, as adults, or having learnt their lesson, or even at all, not existing, as I doubt Tony does at this time.

Or, out of action, like Steve, being frozen. Other, Howling Commando, and SHIELD/Hydra stuff to be done, though, all the same, along with maybe even Bucky things, if not an appearance from Sebastian Stan himself.