Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

So in other words, French Hipster Racism instead of Racism Classic.

Great, totally absolved.

Any who, I just hope that the Muslim communities in the area don't continue to be attacked and discriminated towards. That cooler heads will prevail instead of violence continuing.
    Last edited by Double 0; 01-09-2015 at 09:41 AM.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David B. View Post
    While the 2 terrorists have taken one hostage, another terrorist, suspected to be a member of the same terror cell, and who has killed a police woman in Paris yesterday, is now holding 5 hostages (women and children) at a kasher supermarket

Does she also blame women when they get raped? Seriously, if someone tells another something offensive, or if they feel oppressed, they should report it to the police and then let the justice decide if a punishment if needed; YOU DON'T GO AROUND KILLING PEOPLE BECAUSE YOU ARE OFFENDED!!!! (I'm not screaming at you Westphilly, but at all the people who try to rationalize the act of madmen)
    Oh, I understand. That's just how some people think.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    I guess freedom of speech really means that European liberals have the right to sneer and mock marginalized immigrants in their home countries who oftentimes have to deal with generational poverty, police brutality, and being treated like second-class citizens (when they're not blamed for mooching off the government).
    Yeah, it kinda does. It also means you have the freedom to call them complete assholes for it.

The murders don't justify the cartoons. The cartoons don't justify the murders. Two wrongs don't make a right in either direction. And trying to crown one party or the other as the "most wrong" is both immature and crass.
    Last edited by Michael P; 01-09-2015 at 09:40 AM.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Yeah, it kinda does. It also means you have the freedom to call them complete assholes for it.

The murders don't justify the cartoons. The cartoons don't justify the murders. Two wrongs don't make a right in either direction. And trying to crown one party or the other as the "most wrong" is both immature and crass.
    Exactly. I just want more people to call bigoted **** out, instead of resorting to violence. Or at least build their own spaces to act as a counter culture.

More sustainable, more helpful, takes more time, but is far more cathartic
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

BANNED

Would tattooing Muhammad's image on their corpses be wrong?

Good god, Moustapha Ourrad was an Algerian-born who was working for Charlie Hebdo and he was killed in the attack. Charb was living with a woman from Algerian descent. Funny that the earlier selection of cartoons avoid all the drawings making fun of the French, mocking the racists, the sexists and the politics (90% of the newspaper, really) but focus only on the one that could be offensive to the religious/immigrants.
    Previously known as Psyshot

BANNED

Seems both the new hostage taker and the Charlie Hebdo attackers are now dead.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post

I never said the cartoons justified the murders, but right now there are racists and nationalists using the shooting as a excuse to defend their idea of free speech. Calling a magazine with millions of subscribers assholes doesn't compare to circulating images of racist stereotypes even if the intent was to mock the racism behind them.

In fact, there was a bombing at a mosque today in reaction to what happened but will that be called terrorism? I doubt it. No one wakes up one day and decides I'm gonna shoot up a magazine HQ. Or a youth camp. Or an abortion clinic. When an environment encourages hatred and contempt for the Other, there's going to be a reaction and oftentimes it's violent.

4 of the hostages are dead...1 survived

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Seems both the new hostage taker and the Charlie Hebdo attackers are now dead.
    And at least 4 hostages killed at the Kosher market.

Im expecting mass emigration of jews because of this. jews have not been feeling safe in france for a while now

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    That's like saying the Bible (as well as the hebrew bible) justifies violence and murder because of the Old Testament entries. There are passages within all three that are meant to be taken within the historical context of the specific time and not meant to be applied blindly.
    I don't think anyone denied that the Bible was violent in this thread. And religious books are hyped up by their followers as the words of all powerful beings, so they really should be for eternity.

(I would actually argue that killing people for Muhammad goes against the Quran though, as you're not supposed to worship anyone other than Allah, which is why drawings of him are banned)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    And at least 4 hostages killed at the Kosher market.
    Of course a Kosher Market.
    Not surprising, since there is a huge propaganda on the internet pretending that because Charlie Hebdo did some cartoons about The One Whose Face Shall Not Be Drawn, but did not cartoons mocking Shoah survivors, then Charlie Hebdo is zionist and works for Israel.
    For the likes of the Kouachi brothers, Charlie Hebdo = islamophobia = zionist = jewish = targets.

gaza.jpg
    >Hamas is holding the population as hostages!
    >So, we kill the hostages.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    I don't think anyone denied that the Bible was violent in this thread. And religious books are hyped up by their followers as the words of all powerful beings, so they really should be for eternity.

(I would actually argue that killing people for Muhammad goes against the Quran though, as you're not supposed to worship anyone other than Allah, which is why drawings of him are banned)
    That's not the case at all. Again, it depends on your interpretation. There are those who think they're the divine be-all and end-all ... but there are those who point out that they were written by mortal men, so they're open to the same flaws as any other human work.