Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Sure could other groups contribute more absolutely, does not mean that CharHeb did not make its bones being insensitive at minimum and pouring salt and napalm onto issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    joe sacco [snipped for space]
    Is Joe Sacco aware what immigration numbers European countries would have been facing, as made into relatively careful policies based on human rights or ideological notions, as relating to the "fitting into each other's world" bit?

Anyone as fanatical as making humanitarian and democratical values impossible all countries would be better of without, undiscriminately.

Should we just try and make a blacklist? Or shut the borders? "So You Think You Can Stay/Enter/Move" Game Show? A Lottery?

Sounds counterproductive toward the undiscriminatory part.

You know who else was counterproductive?! (his name rhymes with tit-lur)
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-10-2015 at 08:20 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

BANNED

Meh I have more sympathy for European countries if they did not spend several centuries colonizing other people, slaughtering them and stealing their people and resources. Reap what u Sow.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Sure could other groups contribute more absolutely, does not mean that CharHeb did not make its bones being insensitive at minimum and pouring salt and napalm onto issues.
    You mean like: if only congregations or power constructs could act a little less bullheaded and more with empathy or feeling, as indiscriminately?

Sure I could see that. But for stuff controversial it would soon be looking like a good Charlie Hebdo cartoon. Or Crumb. Only maybe less butts, less hats and more kicking.

Oh and no heroes surely!
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-10-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Meh I have more sympathy for European countries if they did not spend several centuries colonizing other people, slaughtering them and stealing their people and resources. Reap what u Sow.
    Right. Enough said bro.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Is Joe Sacco aware what immigration numbers European countries would have been facing, as made into relatively careful policies based on human rights or ideological notions, as relating to the "fitting into each other's world" bit?

Anyone as fanatical as making humanitarian and democratical values impossible all countries would be better of without, undiscriminately.

Should we just try and make a blacklist? Or shut the borders? "So You Think You Can Stay/Enter/Move" Game Show? A Lottery?

Sounds counterproductive toward the undiscriminatory part.

You know who else was counterproductive?! (his name rhymes with tit-lur)
    wait, what?

BANNED

And here is what Robert Crumb, the legend who, let's say, heavily influenced Joe Sacco's art, has to say:

Turning to the cartoonists and satirists at Charlie Hebdo, Crumb praised them while pointing out they were equal-opportunity critics when it came to the powerful and the extreme.

“Charlie Hebdo, they print so many insulting cartoons about Muslim extremists, you know, geez, they just kept at it, you know…but that wasn’t the only people they insulted, they insulted everybody,” he explained. “The Pope, the President of the country, everybody! They were merciless, to everybody. It was a really funny magazine. They just didn’t hold back towards anybody. You know, they didn’t let anybody off the hook, which was good.”

Crumb admitted that, until the attack on the magazine, he had avoided the type of confrontational cartooning they did.

“A lot of French people said, ‘Yes, it was tasteless, but I defend their right to freedom of speech.’ Yeah, it was tasteless, that’s what they say. And perhaps it was,” he said. “I’m not going to make a career out of baiting some f*cking religious fanatics, you know, by insulting their prophet. I wouldn’t do that. That seems crazy.”

According to Crumb, he had a change of heart after being asked by French newspaper Libération to submit a cartoon in the wake of the shooting.

“But then, after they got killed, I just had to draw that cartoon, you know, showing the Prophet. The cartoon I drew shows me, myself, holding up a cartoon that I’ve just drawn. A crude drawing of an ass that’s labeled “The Hairy Ass of Muhammed,” he said while laughing.

He then added, “You know, that’s the most I’ve stuck my neck out for a long time…”
    Full story with more quotes here: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/c...hich-was-good/

BANNED

people living today deserve to be punished for the acts of people who are long dead many over a hundred years ago?
    that is all kinds of f--ked up man.
    i do not see how this is any different at all than saying i would have more sympathy for Muslims if they did not 911.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I hope you're not saying they were asking for it. Because it kinda sounds like you were saying they were asking for it.
    bullies absolutely are asking for it, if every single day in school you trip a individual kid to the floor in the hallway eventually he is going to punch you in the face.
    where they asking to be killed hell no, the massacre was light years out of proportion but still, hurt people and there very reason for being alive enough eventually they hurt back.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    But all that proves is that they were right to be mocked in the first place. For all the claims of religious conservatives that they represent *The One True God™, they sure have a crappy record of letting God taking care of himself like a big boy.
    so your saying when a bullying victim stands up to his attacker, or even just argues with the attacker he makes the bully right to have bullied him?

BANNED

i am talking about europe whining about immigration. THose countries officially did it by orders from their governments. Muslims dont all get their marching orders from one government body.

Quote Originally Posted by evangelionofasgard View Post
    bullies absolutely are asking for it, if every single day in school you trip a individual kid to the floor in the hallway eventually he is going to punch you in the face.
    where they asking to be killed hell no, the massacre was light years out of proportion but still, hurt people and there very reason for being alive enough eventually they hurt back.
    You're right, America totally deserved 9/11.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    You're right, America totally deserved 9/11.
    yeah... cus protecting Kuwait from the invading iraq, supplying the afgans to stand up to the ussr, and farther back protecting souths of veitnam and korea from the enslaving communist warlords of the north is bullying... ok bro.

comparison also does not work as 911 was a strike against the civilian population, while it was the goverment that did any possible bullying towards the people that caused 911, while the paper here themselves was the ones doing the bullying by choice.
    Last edited by evangelionofasgard; 01-11-2015 at 03:09 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by evangelionofasgard View Post

so your saying when a bullying victim stands up to his attacker, or even just argues with the attacker he makes the bully right to have bullied him?
    Are you calling the Charlie Hebdo satirists "bullies"? Were they acting from an actual position of power over, say, the Taliban?
    If not, just do all of us a favor and spend some time away from the computer.

BANNED

Oh, and evangelionofasgard? How does your "they had it coming" mindset work for the people in the kosher supermarket and the cops who were murdered?

BANNED

"Religion is the opium of the people." - Karl Marx.

A lot of truth to that, though I would equate religion with alcohol, rather than heroin. It is harmless, even beneficial, in moderation. But for some it is addictive and destructive. Some people just can't handle it, and need to be weaned off it. Jailed extremists (Christian or Muslim) should be forbidden access to religious material, and more needs to be done to restrict access to "addicts."