Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

For years Squirrel Girl was the obscure Marvel character I wanted to see return, and I was ecstatic when Slott brought her back in GLA, and loved what was done with her for the next few years. I was skeptical when she made her way into Bendis's hands, because I've never seen him do anything good with a character, but I didn't read those issues, so I don't know what was done with her. But when I heard she was getting her own series, I actually thought it wasn't a good idea. She is a character that should be used in a supporting role, or infrequently, IMO. And I saw nothing in this first issue to change my mind. I just didn't enjoy it. It wasn't the art (though it's not my cup of tea), and the writing was serviceable, but it just fell flat for me. It felt like it was trying too hard and just didn't actually succeed in anything it was attempting. I am glad to hear that many people enjoyed it, but I think I'll be leaving the next issue on the stands.

BTW, now my go-to obscure character I want brought back is Solar Man!

Quote Originally Posted by skyjumpermike View Post
    I don't visit the forums often. When I do, I see the negativity and complaints, and I remember why I don't visit the forums. It's sad that a site dedicated to comics is always so filled with people TRASHING the creative work of someone. I can understand if you don't like something. But going out of your way to express that in hurtful words seems like a waste of everyone's time. I find that there is so much out there that I enjoy, I don't have the desire or time to spend bashing the stuff I don't care for.
    So to get things straight you have NEVER complained about anything be it comic, book, film or music
    Not to get religious here but ts like the phrase He who is without sin cast the first stone
    I don't understand why people get so upset with view that are opposite to theirs be it positive of negative my take is if you cant handle it don't log in and live in "your own little bubble"
    Let me ask do you think the whole world shares your opinion again be it positive or negative
    Last edited by PLG1962; 01-08-2015 at 06:29 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by PLG1962 View Post
    I have to agree loved the light-hearted tone but man that art
    This was my introduction to Squirrel Girl what stories should i seek out
    Marvel Super Heroes Vol. 2 #8- 1st App.
    GLA #1-4
    GLX-Mas Special
    GLI/Deadpool
    Cable and Deadpool #30

All-New Member

The only bit of the artwork I didn't like was SG's Face otherwise it's fine and suits he book.

Fantastic Member

How long till Squirrel Girl-- The Movie??

Quote Originally Posted by Kapparition View Post
    More like how long until this is cancelled or Renumbered
    I don't have any faith in Marvel when it comes to numbering and in a way tradition (does it really matter what number a comic is if it's the start of a new storyline or a new creative team)
    They should resort to going this route Feb 2015 Match 2015 etc
    Last edited by PLG1962; 01-08-2015 at 10:28 PM.

Ryan North killed it with the writing. I really enjoy his little asides that are on the bottom of most pages.

The art... very inconsistent. Some panels were really pretty to look at, and some felt like they were rushed--less detail, less polish. The art style started growing on me near the end of the issue, but there just wasn't enough there to say I'm okay with it 100% yet.

I'll be continuing with #2 for the writing alone, and I hope the art catches up to it soon.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    Frankly I find the character to be an abomination. lol. I have simply had to make myself accept the fact that she exists in Marvel. Just because I hate the art, story, and character, doesn't mean it's bad necessarily just that it isn't for me. This seems targeted at perhaps younger and more casual readers.
    Exactly. She easily bests the likes of Doom and Thanos. She doesn't deserve the treatment of the likes of an Olivier Coipel. She's essentially a cartoon character.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    Exactly. She easily bests the likes of Doom and Thanos. She doesn't deserve the treatment of the likes of an Olivier Coipel. She's essentially a cartoon character.
    Doom and Thanos are also cartoon characters. Comics are just serialized cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapparition View Post
    Probably when the "current bubble" burst and people wont take seriously a superhero movie anymore, like the time with the Bat-nipples.

There wasn't one panel of this issue I didn't enjoy. This book was a complete riot and just from this first issue has already become one of my favorites. Absolutely hilarious and the art is really funny and charming, too. So happy I picked this up and can't wait for the second issue.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Quote Originally Posted by CoronaSmith View Post
    The only bit of the artwork I didn't like was SG's Face otherwise it's fine and suits he book.
    Same here. I'm perfectly cool with cartoony and fun artwork, but there's barely a single panel in the entire book where Doreen looks... nice.

It's not like I need Deodato/Land pout-faces or anything, but surely expecting her not to look a bit weird... and perhaps even slightly like a girl... isn't being too shallow, is it?

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I came to this absolutely unprepared, unbiased, why, with regard to Squirrel Girl, absolutely ignorant. I also came to this after dropping EVERYthing Marvel several years ago except Captain Marvel and the sporadic Powers. I got SG on the proverbial whim, and as I was that week actually "under-budget".

I shall continue with Squirrel Girl, because yeah I enjoyed it, and because in its way, it might be one of the most important comics published recently.
    Think about it: small-breasted, with an odd, often asymetric face, a Very Big Ass (with her tail tucked into her pants), she is pretty much the Absolute Antithesis to the heavy-titted, long-legged, Barbie-doll faced typical super-hero woman. That alone seems worthy of mention and public awareness, to me.

Besides, this first issue was funny, admittedly sometimes a little bit "too funny", but pleasant, amusing, and almost early Peter-Parkerish in Doreen's enrollment in school and all. I liked it. I'll get another issue. Even if it is yet another unnecessarily $4-priced comic from Marvel.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    never mind the fact that Howard the Duck interacts with Marvel heroes. who cares if Squirrel Girl beats Doom or Thanos. they're all cartoon characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    never mind the fact that Howard the Duck interacts with Marvel heroes. who cares if Squirrel Girl beats Doom or Thanos. they're all cartoon characters.
    Another book, I'm highly anticipating.

I find myself buying less and less of Marvel's more serious comics these days.