Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Amazing Member

I've always loved Archie comics. Can't wait to get my hands on that number 1!

BANNED

Too early to tell if this will be any good or just another wooden stake in the heart of childhood.

It's hard to wipe a slate clean when there was never anything on it to begin with. Archie's near-complete absence of continuity has always been its key to survival, because it means that no matter how radically they try to change the formula, they know they can always go right back to it without missing anything.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

I wonder if the first three issues Fiona Staples will be drawing make up one complete mini story arc. It seems a little odd that it's just the first three issues. I think usually a temporary artist starting a new ongoing comic would at least work on the first five or six issues that make up the content for the first collected trade paperback volume.

Well, I don't know about whoever takes over from the fourth issue onward, but I'm looking forward to owning and reading the first three issues of Mark Waid and Fiona Staples' Archie run. I really like Staples' design of Betty on the regular cover of Archie #2. She does come off as looking slightly Harley Quinn-ish though.
    rsz_archie2staplesregcvr-666x1024.jpg
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Too early to tell if this will be any good or just another wooden stake in the heart of childhood.

The old universe is not gone.

All new stories set in the other universe will be limited to the digests. So for those who want the past can still have it at a higher price along with reprints.

Smart move if you ask me.

BANNED

I dislike the violence in Golden Age and most Archie. A lot of times in Golden Age, it's used instead of having an actual joke. And when they get Moose to beat up Reggie for "being fresh". Generally, it makes it seem like they have no other way to respond to or deal with antagony than that.

For the continuity being erased... what continuity? Does this means they'll establish one? Why? I think most Archie has been terrible because most of their artists have been terrible except for a select few, and the stories were never really funny. Maybe hire a writer who can tell funny jokes? Just an idea. Someone mentioned the fashions. Archie has been terrible keeping up with fashion trends the past few decades.

Maybe this will work by breaking the formula. I think Waid and Staples going with the formula would have been enough. I'll give this a try because Waid is usually witty as far as I remember, but I think it might be underwhelming. Seems like an unnecessary change, though I am glad they are finally trying to improve the quality of the writers and artists they are getting.