Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    And this. SERIOUSLY. And when was Sentry the center of every crossover event? The only one I can recall him having a /really/ big moment in was World War Hulk, where he LOST, and SIEGE, where he had a pathetic, offensive death scene. I swear, either the character 'does nothing' and gets painted as useless, or he's 'shoved down our throats' for being there in the first place.

I think one of the problems is that they kept telling us how great/good/awesome/amazing the character was and how powerful he was, and then they just... never let him actually BE that and gave him very few moments where he /was/ the guy they kept painting him as. Show vs Tell failure. Anyways, none of this is the character's fault. He can be good. He's being used in a fun way in Uncanny Avengers and I think he'll get a solid and heroic moment under Remender's pen. Even with the death seed, Bob is still trying to do something /good/. I can't imagine the so-called 'caretaker of humanity' is exactly happy that earth got blown up. He spared Thor when the Twins told him to kill him.

It's interesting, and I hope he, like all the other Horseman, is restored to life.
    Preach it bud. I am 100% in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    Preach it bud. I am 100% in agreement.
    I think they were actually /afraid/ to use him like that and they kinda waffled on waht the hell to do with im, which did him no favors at all.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I hate the Sentry, oy.

Prince Namor doesn't have his own book, so yeah.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-17-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I hate the Sentry, oy.

Princess Namor doesn't have his own book, so yeah.
    Princess Namor? REally? :P

Haha, I see you edited your post. I thought you were calling him a princess. xD
    Last edited by Tendrin; 05-18-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I took a few months off of the forums once, and when I came back Hawkeye was an A-lister! So I'm not so sure reinventing the Sentry is outside the realm of possibility.

Namor and Sentry can both do a lot better than the current writers would have you believe.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I took a few months off of the forums once, and when I came back Hawkeye was an A-lister! So I'm not so sure reinventing the Sentry is outside the realm of possibility.

Namor and Sentry can both do a lot better than the current writers would have you believe.

I agree with your assessment with Sentry, the new Hyperion is much more interesting , but I'm not sure I agree with Namor .. His over-exaggerated arrogance .. is a good progression to the character.. but I can see why fans of him wouldn't like it

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

For sure. There are no bad characters, only badly written characters, and the Sentry does not have to be a badly written character. xD

I think to fix him, you just need to go back to something close to the original portrayal and it's fairly easy to solve the problem of retconning him into history.

Sentry's career began well before most modern superhero's did. He's older than most of them, probably in his early 40s at /best/. His career has largely been forgotten due to the mindwipe, and he vanished out of Marvel 616 history sometime shortly after the marriage of Sue and Reed, which means he was gone for a majority of Marvel's actual on page continuity and 'retired'. Moreover, you can further address this problem by making his growing schizophrenia responsible for some Silver Age weirdness that doesn't quite fit these days. The Sentry just being around makes things a little /stranger/ because the frayed edges of his sanity cause a ripple effect.

Moreover, changes to the Sentry's early history, as junky and murderer, are fairly easy to paint as the Void's version of history designed to make Bob think he's an awful person who isn't worth anything and could never be worth a damn, as well. Take Bob to a more nuanced and subtle portrayal of a man unravelling under his own debilitating neurosis along with the incredible power that gives them life. He wasn't /always/ as bad as he became, but it was a steady degeneration to that point.

Anyways, he can be brought back to a more sympathetic and layered protrayal of a mentally ill character.

Sure, why not have the Sentry back. They can retcon him into having slept with Sue Richards when she was the Invisible Girl and that he was her first choice over both Reed and Namor.
    Then they can make him into the founder of Avengers, FF and X-Men and SHIELD and reveal that he also had relationships with Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Carol Danvers, Storm, Black Widow, Frankie Raye, Sharon Ventura and heck, why not even Hercules and Northstar. And reveal him as Cap's father too!

If you didn't already notice I'm not a big fan of Superman ripoffs who are characterized as fuck ups or mental cases because they are made into über powerful gods by incompetent writers.

But anybody who says that there are no bad charcaters, only bad writers and badly written characters is right so with the right writer anything's possible

Quote Originally Posted by Tomppa View Post
    Sure, why not have the Sentry back. They can retcon him into having slept with Sue Richards when she was the Invisible Girl and that he was her first choice over both Reed and Namor.
    Then they can make him into the founder of Avengers, FF and X-Men and SHIELD and reveal that he also had relationships with Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Carol Danvers, Storm, Black Widow, Frankie Raye, Sharon Ventura and heck, why not even Hercules and Northstar. And reveal him as Cap's father too!
    Oh, come on. :P

If you didn't already notice I'm not a big fan of Superman ripoffs who are characterized as fuck ups or mental cases because they are made into über powerful gods by incompetent writers.
    Good thing Jenkins handling wasn't incompetent. Sadly, for most, writing a mentally ill character is pretty hard, and it's easy to fall back on caricature like happened with the Sentry.

But anybody who says that there are no bad charcaters, only bad writers and badly written characters is right so with the right writer anything's possible
    Yeah, it's true. We've seen brief snippets of the Sentry being done well.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    There is a Sentry series coming out from Marvel right now. It's called Miracleman.
    Miracleman = Marvelman = the Captain Marvel (Shazam) knock-off from waaay back when??? Wow. Can't say that I ever cared for that character. I'm shocked that Marvel would even bother to add him to their multiverse. I certainly hope that if they do come up with a new series for Sentry, it's nothing like Miracleman/Marvelman.

I was never a Sentry fan. However, I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as a bad character, any character can be interesting in the hands of the proper writer. When Marvel resurrects the sentry I would like to see him have his powers cut in half permanently if they intend to keep him on earth. However if they don't want to depower him at all, then he would need to go cosmic...maybe run around with the Silver Surfer or something.

I've mostly known the character in passing and only read him in Silent War where I thought he had a great whole issue focused on his pov. I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    I was never a Sentry fan. However, I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as a bad character, any character can be interesting in the hands of the proper writer. When Marvel resurrects the sentry I would like to see him have his powers cut in half permanently if they intend to keep him on earth. However if they don't want to depower him at all, then he would need to go cosmic...maybe run around with the Silver Surfer or something.
    You know, I don't think he needs to be depowered, per say. But it was like they thought that was the /interesting/ thing about his character, how ridiculously over the top powerful they can make him. That he's powerful is important, to a certain extent, but it's not the /interesting/ thing about him and too many people, I think, get hung up on the power level in a world where Hulk can become a 'Worldbreaker'. XD

What he needs is, instead, a /consistant characterization OF his powers/. Instead, we got Bendis making shit up and just adding new shit whenever it struck his fancy. I know some of that is a deliberate reference to the Silver Age Superman and his getting a new power in one issue that never shows up again and all, but really, there was never an appropriate baseline for the character. Worse still, the limiters he /did/ have were rarely invoked by Bendis. CLOC, his need to stay on a steady and inflexible routine, and so on.

And yeah, his Silent War issue was fantastic. I have to think Remender's use of him was influenced by that.

take a point from Person of Interest, and have the Sentry be on a 'cloc' (ho ho ho) and preventing a million little disasters that will build into big disasters that nobody ever sees and nobody ever knows about. Or maybe he's just crazy and flailing at nothing. /You don't know/ for sure.

That said, I think any 'return to form' will be minus the Void at start and thus at least some of his power will be said to be reduced, which I think will be a good thing as a way to wipe the slate clean. Let's them /establish/ a Sentry baseline in the first place. The writing of the character was nearly as unstable as he was. :P
    Last edited by Tendrin; 05-20-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Hell yes they should and i would so buy it same way i was dying for storm to get her own series it's the same with sentry. Guy needs to be used on the cosmic scale as well so many OP villains he can take on (i don't think he needs to be a villain).

i actually like the rogue/sentry past thing i think they should make them interact (hell rogue has a thing for guys with a touch of darkness about them so its not surprising she and him had a thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    And this. SERIOUSLY. And when was Sentry the center of every crossover event? The only one I can recall him having a /really/ big moment in was World War Hulk, where he LOST, and SIEGE, where he had a pathetic, offensive death scene. I swear, either the character 'does nothing' and gets painted as useless, or he's 'shoved down our throats' for being there in the first place.

I think one of the problems is that they kept telling us how great/good/awesome/amazing the character was and how powerful he was, and then they just... never let him actually BE that and gave him very few moments where he /was/ the guy they kept painting him as. Show vs Tell failure. Anyways, none of this is the character's fault. He can be good. He's being used in a fun way in Uncanny Avengers and I think he'll get a solid and heroic moment under Remender's pen. Even with the death seed, Bob is still trying to do something /good/. I can't imagine the so-called 'caretaker of humanity' is exactly happy that earth got blown up. He spared Thor when the Twins told him to kill him.

It's interesting, and I hope he, like all the other Horseman, is restored to life.
    amen brother