Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Most under-appreciated artists at DC

There are a lot of great artists working in the industry today. Some of them get the recognition they richly deserve - guys & gals like Ivan Reis, Gary Frank, Jim Lee, Francis Manapul, Frank Quitely, Doug Mahnke - but others do not, either in assignment or in general 'buzz' or recognition (in my opinion, Mahnke does NOT get the recognition he deserves, but that's only because he's not only one of the best in the industry, he's also the hardest working and the fastest. He deserves to be in the upper echelon, a draw on his own).

Dale Eaglesham - He's one of the best character actors in the business, his figures full of body language and facial expression; he builds them psychologically. But he also composes beautiful shots and has an endlessly creative sense of design. I know he's on Secret Six by choice, and that is exciting, but here's hoping that if/when that runs its course he's put on something appropriately high profile. I would love him on a Shazam book.

Aaron Kuder - I think he's rightly loved by Superman fans, but outside of that he doesn't seem to have gotten the recognition I would expect, certainly not the recognition of his friend/stylistic forebears Frank Quitely & Chris Burnham. Not only are his figures some of the most kinetic in the business, he has probably the best and weirdest sense of design at DC, and he's constantly experimenting with storytelling tricks and techniques, a la Manapul. Perhaps the most 'forward thinking' and experimental of the bunch.

Mikel Janin - It's long been known that he gives wonderfully 3 dimensional figure work without sacrificing naturalism or expressiveness - a combination that makes him a rarity from the start - but on Grayson he's been allowed to fully stretch himself, experimenting wonderfully in a Steranko-esque fashion with page layout and design and storytelling tricks. Never arbitrary, they always serve the story and the atmosphere. Like Kuder, he's doing some of the genuinely smartest work at the company.

Karl Kershel - Kershel used to be a regular in the mainstream, then disappeared to do his own creator owned webseries (which was excellent, check it out). Upon his return (on Gotham Academy), his work is finer, and more expressive than ever. Seeing his work is like seeing the very best, cleanest cartoon imaginable. It's like nothing else on the shelves.

Howard Porter - Porter has been around forever, so it's easy to marginalize, but he's doing some of the best, most detailed world building and world design in comics. His work is almost a neo-kirby - at times rough, but always bursting with energy, and with some of the best looking, most inventive set design in the business. No one is talking about how great his stuff is, and that's a shame.

Patrick Gleason

Aaron Kuder is a great artist, and a good writer as well. I really liked his Superboy run even though I hated Jon.

BANNED

Bernard Chang

JRJR- His artwork is better than what people admit. Similar to David Finch, his style isn't for everyone.

Brett Booth

Kenneth Rocafort
    Last edited by Starchild; 01-07-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

The artist who has really stepped up his game over the past few months is Trevor McCarthy. I used to view his work as servicable, but he's growing before our eyes with Klarion. Unfortunately, so few people are reading it.

BANNED

Scott Kollins.

Astonishing Member

Oh there's many many. A few come to mind instantly, of course.

Bernard Chang. Just completed the definitive Green Lantern/John Stewart run. Had the best colorist in the biz, of course, but those pencils really sing. I hate to see him go if he's not doing a GL book anymore ... his appearances elsewhere are all fine of course, but his style has proven to be made for GL.

Emanuella Lupacchino. She was always pretty solid but she's stepped up her game with Supergirl lately.

Ardian Syaf. Totally underrated, and passed around on books that are beneath his talent. FINALLY just got a cherry gig on Pak's Batman/Superman. His work reminds me of Andy Kubert's. Maybe a little less dynamic, but also less likely to miss the mark.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I agree 100% with Denniz's list, and will add 2 artists of a somewhat similar style among them:

Bernard Chang and R.B.Silva. They do have somewhat of an advertising agency style, yeah (probably due to some formal education), but I really like their clean, detailed style. Bernard Chang has been around forever and yet doesn't seem to ever has the recognition he deserves: his recent work in GLC was gorgeous (although we have to admit here that it was greatly aided by Maiolo's colors, but then, what isn't?).

First time i remember seeing RB Silva was on some Jimmy Olsen back-ups; now he basically does Lobdell books. The fact that those are things I know him for is nothing short of a sin.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Definitely Howard Porter. Loved him on Flash. Probably the only guy who could pull of a switch from Scott Kolins.

Speaking of, I'm a huge fan of Kolins.

The guy who was on Wonder Woman alternating for Cliff Chiang (can't remember his name at the moment) was very good. He was basically Cliff Chiang, but with more detailing. Ive been doing a reread f the run I preparation to finally read the finale, and the transitions between the two are very smooth.

Edit: What's has Cliff Chiang done before Wonder Woman? I'm interested in seeing more of his work.
    Cyclops was right

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post

The guy who was on Wonder Woman alternating for Cliff Chiang (can't remember his name at the moment) was very good. He was basically Cliff Chiang, but with more detailing. Ive been doing a reread f the run I preparation to finally read the finale, and the transitions between the two are very smooth.

Edit: What's has Cliff Chiang done before Wonder Woman? I'm interested in seeing more of his work.
    The Vertigo Behold the Creeper mini is my favorite Chiang work. I'd also check out Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality, which is where Azz and Chiang first teamed up.

As for Goran Sudzuka, who was the alternating artist with Chiang (and Tony Akins), I'd recommend Outlaw Nation, also from Vertigo.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    The Vertigo Behold the Creeper mini is my favorite Chiang work. I'd also check out Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality, which is where Azz and Chiang first teamed up.

As for Goran Sudzuka, who was the alternating artist with Chiang (and Tony Akins), I'd recommend Outlaw Nation, also from Vertigo.
    Ive been interested in Doctor 13. And the Creeper. Thanks.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    The artist who has really stepped up his game over the past few months is Trevor McCarthy. I used to view his work as servicable, but he's growing before our eyes with Klarion. Unfortunately, so few people are reading it.
    YES. His Batwoman pages were good too

Scott Hepburn- His Forever Evil Rogues art was all kinds of comicky goodness

Gleason i think is appreciated, everyone knows he rocks on Batman and Robin. Best Green Lantern artist too.

Cliff Chiang - The way his work was described on the WW forums was undeserved.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by napolid View Post
    Cliff Chiang - The way his work was described on the WW forums was undeserved.
    What'd they say about it? Its gorgeous.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Aaron Kuder is a great artist, and a good writer as well. I really liked his Superboy run even though I hated Jon.
    Kuder gets my vote as well. I absolutely love what he's done on Action Comics. He and Pak have really brought the fun and excitement back to Superman! He's probably my favorite artist at the moment.

You named 3 of my favorite artists: Kerschel, Porter and Gleason.

I first saw Kerschel's art in a Fastest Man Alive issue (he only did one, if Im not mistaken) and i totally loved his art. It's the perfect mix of Cartoon and realism.

Porter did an AWESOME JOB in the trials of Shazam.

Gleason is one of my favorites ever. His GLC and Batman and Robin are just amazing. What he did on that Batman & Robin "Silent" issue was just outstanding.

Other i love are:

- Mahmud Asrar: his work on Supergirl was beautiful.
    - Jae Lee: When Brett Both replaced him for a few issues in Batman/Superman I realized how awesome this guy is.
    - Ben Oliver: I wish he did more books on the new 52.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE