Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: The Fade-Out, #4

Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips and Elizabeth Breitweiser demonstrate amazing synergy in "The Fade Out" #4, a compelling, splendidly characterized and beautifully illustrated mystery surrounding a suspicious death in 1948 Hollywood.

Full review here.

Another fantastic issue. The plot as they say, thickens. Having grown up on films from that era, I just love this book.
    SP's art work is getting better, if that is possible. Loved the cameos from Reagan and Gable. (And yes, RR was an FBI informant)
    The answer to the question of what movie Gable, Bogart and Houston were talking about is "The Man Who Would Be King". John Houston later made it with Sean Connery and Michael Caine.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Another fantastic issue. The plot as they say, thickens. Having grown up on films from that era, I just love this book.
    SP's art work is getting better, if that is possible. Loved the cameos from Reagan and Gable. (And yes, RR was an FBI informant)
    The answer to the question of what movie Gable, Bogart and Houston were talking about is "The Man Who Would Be King". John Houston later made it with Sean Connery and Michael Caine.
    I love this book as well, i'm also reading through Fatale right now. I just finished vol 2 and it's such a gorgeous, well written book. I'm not sure which one I like better.

The Fade-Out continues to be incredibly consistent and just an amazing book all around. So glad I got into this when the first issue came out My first Brubaker/Phillips book to be on my regular pull-list (because I missed the wagon on the other series) and I think I picked a good one.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    The Fade-Out continues to be incredibly consistent and just an amazing book all around. So glad I got into this when the first issue came out My first Brubaker/Phillips book to be on my regular pull-list (because I missed the wagon on the other series) and I think I picked a good one.
    Try the Criminal one shot, which I think comes out next week. If you like it they are all available in softback. Self contained stories too.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 01-14-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Try the Criminal one shot, which I think comes out next week. If you like it they are all available in softback. Self contained stories too.
    Will definitely be checking that out as well Thanks for the reminder!
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

What great book. They just continued from Fatale to The Fade Out and didn't skip a beat! Can't wait to see where this is headed. Bru and Phillips are a force to be reckoned with.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

I'm not the biggest Brubaker fan, but this has kept me interested so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    I love this book as well, i'm also reading through Fatale right now. I just finished vol 2 and it's such a gorgeous, well written book. I'm not sure which one I like better.
    I really want to start one of these two titles. If you had to just pick one...where would you recommend starting?!?!

All-New Member

I would recommend the Fadeout. I personally didn't take to the supernatural elements of Fatale, so I like how the Fadeout is grounded in that golden age of Hollywood of the 1940s.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzdaddy View Post
    I would recommend the Fadeout. I personally didn't take to the supernatural elements of Fatale, so I like how the Fadeout is grounded in that golden age of Hollywood of the 1940s.
    I loved Fatale's supernatural elements, and Lovecraftian cult. If you liked True Detective, you'll like Fatale, I think. So far, The Fade Out hasn't impressed me on Fatale levels yet. I love it, but it is too early for it to have hit those high notes yet, it is honestly too early to fully judge. But Fatale left a bigger impression right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by WoollyMammoth View Post
    I really want to start one of these two titles. If you had to just pick one...where would you recommend starting?!?!
    I would definitely start with Fatale in trade and read it in big chunks. It's been very enjoyable reading that way for me. I'm gessing Fade Out will read better that way too if you can wait.