Page 32 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Percy doesn't disappoint. I do love the mystical backstory of the wolf. It actually serviced the story.

I liked the plot, the narration was only ok, the art was gorgeous. love the look of the skeleton men. Overall solid start to the new arc.

It was okay. The main issue is that the pacing is incredibly slow. There are a lot of pages dedicated to the wolf's backstory that may or may not end up being relevant down the line. And judging by his previous works, Ben Percy doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when it comes to execution down the stretch.

Could somebody give some detailed spoilers? I'm wary of continuing to purchase the book until a new writer comes along, but if it sounds interesting enough, I might cave.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by PiercedMonk View Post
    Could somebody give some detailed spoilers? I'm wary of continuing to purchase the book until a new writer comes along, but if it sounds interesting enough, I might cave.
    Ollie's current girlfriend forced him to see a fortune teller lady (who is the same crazy bird lady from previous issues) to learn more about him (again, totally natural) and she tells them instead about the story behind George the wolf dog.

There's still a lot of overworked and blunt writing.

FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

The last summary you got from Razko is kind of misleading(entails like the first 3 or 4 set up pages only and the girlfriend is simply a plot device that doesn't matter). So here's a more complete summary.
    The fortune teller is used as a plot device to tell the wolfs backstory, she narrates how a town was attacked by wolves during a bad winter and they destroyed the town. This hunter with a supernatural bone axe shows up finds everyone dead, decides to avenge them. Eventually he fights the Alpha-wolf for a day (the father of Ollie's wolf) but after defeating it, he can't bring himself to kill it and ends up healing it with some magic. Then one day these skeleton men (super cool looking) show up who collect bones because they use them for power, they kill them both and take the axe.
    Cuts to present day where Ollie and his wolf are ambushed by the skeleton men who take the wolf because they want his bones (imbued with the magic his father was healed with) Ollie is then saved by Tarantula, who was following them the whole issue.

My biggest issue was the narration is kinda clunky in points, but I liked everything else. Much better than I expected heading into an issue about the wolf, as it clearly sets up the next story.

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    The last summary you got from Razko is kind of misleading(entails like the first 3 or 4 set up pages only and the girlfriend is simply a plot device that doesn't matter). So here's a more complete summary.
    Thanks, it's much appreciated!

So Oliver's girlfriend approaches the homeless street preacher woman Percy's previous issues -- the Wart Lady, if I remember correctly -- so she can read his fortune? Even as a set-up, that seems odd. Is it established that this street person has a reputation as a fortune teller as well?

As for the rest, considering how little George interests me, I can't say I've been champing at the bit to get his super secret origin story. Think I'll manage to hold off.

So Oliver's girlfriend approaches the homeless street preacher woman Percy's previous issues -- the Wart Lady, if I remember correctly -- so she can read his fortune? Even as a set-up, that seems odd. Is it established that this street person has a reputation as a fortune teller as well?

As for the rest, considering how little George interests me, I can't say I've been champing at the bit to get his super secret origin story. Think I'll manage to hold off.
    It's hard to tell where it's really going, but yeah a great portion of the issue was spent on the flashback.

Yeah she was in a fortune tellers booth at some farmers/flee market type area lol. Kinda forced I agree, but was a pretty small part of the issue so I don't care too much.
    Yeah I'd wait a month if that's the case, 75% of the issue was the flashback with the wolf. The ending with the skeleton men has me excited, but too early to say if it will go anywhere (the last arc also had a lot of squandered potential so I'm wary at this point).

Always Rakzo

FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

The last summary you got from Razko is kind of misleading(entails like the first 3 or 4 set up pages only and the girlfriend is simply a plot device that doesn't matter).
    Oh come on, that's what happened. I didn't want to go into the whole wolf mythology because it was pretty contrived.

Nope! Not at all, it seems like this was pulled straight from the writer's butt at the last second.

aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

The fortune teller is used as a plot device to tell the wolfs backstory, she narrates how a town was attacked by wolves during a bad winter and they destroyed the town. This hunter with a supernatural bone axe shows up finds everyone dead, decides to avenge them. Eventually he fights the Alpha-wolf for a day (the father of Ollie's wolf) but after defeating it, he can't bring himself to kill it and ends up healing it with some magic. Then one day these skeleton men (super cool looking) show up who collect bones because they use them for power, they kill them both and take the axe.
    Cuts to present day where Ollie and his wolf are ambushed by the skeleton men who take the wolf because they want his bones (imbued with the magic his father was healed with) Ollie is then saved by Tarantula, who was following them the whole issue.

My biggest issue was the narration is kinda clunky in points, but I liked everything else. Much better than I expected heading into an issue about the wolf, as it clearly sets up the next story.
    Should I have not started at #43? If not, where should I start on this arc?
    "With great power comes great responsibility."

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by The Watchdog View Post
    Eh, if you want to know more about this you should start at the beginning with issue 41, that's where George was introduced.

I wouldn't recommend it though.

#41-43 makes up the first arc. This issue (#44) starts off a new arc.

Yeah I'd start at 44, 41 is the start of the run, but 44 was a fine jumping on point.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

Thanks for the help!
    "With great power comes great responsibility."