Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpop View Post
    Rakzo, i think you might need that douche to give you a preach
    I never called myself a hero though.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    First ever DC Nation Green Arrow short featuring Black Canary and a new supporting character.

That one kickass of a short!

Although, is it just me or does GA looks a bit... feminine there?

Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post

First ever DC Nation Green Arrow short featuring Black Canary and a new supporting character.

That is very cool. Really enjoyed the short.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Ultimate Member

I just bought the first trade of Lemire's run the other day.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Tell me you loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
    That is very cool. Really enjoyed the short.
    Pleasure.

Why does GA looks so different in his own comic.

In preparation for september

Just read The Green Arrow by Jack Kirby TPB and thought it was pretty interesting. It collects eleven stories originally published in Adventure Comics #250-256 and World's Finest Comics #96-99. This was long before Green Arrow would receive a solo title.

The first story originally plotted by Bill Finger and heavily rewritten by Kirby "The Green Arrows of the World" introduces an international club of Green Arrows from different countries similar to the Batmen of All Nations which appeared a few years earlier. A convention of archers organized by our own Green Arrow is interrupted by an imposter who disguises himself as the archer of Britain as part of his plan to get close to and kill Green Arrow.

In the second story "The Case of the Super-Arrows" special trick arrows from 3000 years in the future are sent back through time to the Arrow Cave. Green Arrow uses them to stop Cougar Cain from escaping after a bank robbery but ends up accidentally being hypnotized after dropping the hypnotic arrow. This allows Cougar Cain to get away with the quiver of super-arrows which he uses to go on a bank robbing spree.

In "Five Clues to Danger" Oliver Queen's friend Professor Anderson is lost at sea and presumed dead. His will stated that Ollie was to receive five of his personal belongings. That night Ollie and Roy are awoken by burglars who they pursue as Green Arrow and Speedy. The thieves escape but Green Arrow discovers that they had stolen the Professor's personal belongings. The items turn out to be clues left by the Professor who has been kidnapped for his formula that can create perfect artificial diamonds.

When giant arrows falls from the sky in "Mystery of the Giant Arrows" Green Arrow and Speedy are called to the observatory where Professor Riggles has used his cosmic radar to discover the source of the giant arrows. They are pulled into space and another dimension where the giant children who have been shooting the arrows await.

The story continues in "Prisoners of Dimension Zero". Green Arrow and Speedy find themselves in another dimension on a planet of telepathic giants. They help their giant counterpart Xeen Arrow foil a bank robbery and he helps them get back to Earth. This alternate version of Green Arrow would appear a few months after the first appearance of The Batman of Zur-En-Arrh and years before Barry Allen would "discoverer" the multiverse in "Flash of Two Worlds!".

"The Menace of the Mechanical Octopus" starts with a giant, flying metal octopus robbing jewels from a skyscraper. Green Arrow and Speedy in the Arrow-Plane retrieve the jewels but the giant, metal octopus escapes. Later they are called to aid a mail train that is being attacked by the mechanical octopus but are captured and taken to an underwater base. They escape and defeat the metal octopus as it's attacking a liner ship carrying gold bullion.

In "The Green Arrow's Last Stand" Green Arrow and Speedy investigate the disappearance of Professor Hagen and two of his staff who went missing during a storm. They find the Professor and his missing staff have wrecked their car and rescue them in the Arrow-Plane. Upon landing the plane in a valley for repairs they are attacked by a lost tribe of Native Americans.

On a flight to Tokyo in "The War That Never Ended!" their plane goes down and their life-raft strands them on Tongi Island. There Ollie and Roy are attacked by a group of WWII Japanese soldiers and Green Arrow is captured. He learns that they lost communication with Japan 13 years earlier and tries to convince them that WWII is over. Coincidentally a fleet of U.S. Navy ships arrive and Major Tayako insists that Green Arrow help them destroy the fleet or die. Speedy returns and attacks while Green Arrow is able to send an S.O.S. to the Navy ships who force Major Tayako to surrender.

In "The Unmasked Archers!" a newspaper article exposes Ollie and Roy as Green Arrow and Speedy. They meet with the police Commissioner and unmask themselves but he doesn't believe them thinking it a joke. They return home and discover that the newspaper was left as a gag. He gets a call about a train robbery from the Commissioner and decides to keep up the joke while still stopping the robbers. He uses a clever misplaced shot to net the robbers as Speedy using a balloon arrow in the shape of the Arrow-Plane convinces the police that the real Green Arrow had stopped the crooks.

A TV newscast about an expedition to a remote island alerts Ollie that they may discover his secret identity unless he can get there first in "Green Arrow's First Case". A flashback reveals how after being stranded on the island Ollie honed his archery skills and invents his first trick arrows to hunt for food. He left a record on a cave wall that if discovered would reveal his identity as Green Arrow. When a ship shows up to the island Ollie swims out to it thinking himself rescued. He discovers the ship has been taken over by mutineers and defeats them using his trick arrows. In the present Green Arrow is able to trick the expedition into thinking the island is radioactive protecting his secret identity. I'm not sure if this was his first origin story but I found it interesting that he used grease over his eyes to disguise himself similar to season one of CW's Arrow.

In the final story "Crimes Under Glass" Green Arrow and Speedy go up against a gang of criminals who uses trick lenses during their robberies.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    So did I! I couldn't put it down. When I finished reading, I went to the comics shop and bought the rest of the issues up to the newest one. I had the shop add this to my pull list. I haven't enjoyed a comic this much in a long time. Really a great read.

Astonishing Member

That Kirby collection looks great. I think I'll be checking it out.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

All-New Member

See I too miss the pre-new52 Green Arrow...but not for the reasons that may make Ratty go Batty.

See...part of what I loved about what O'Neill did with the character was...he put him on the fringe. It made him somewhat of an outsider (a la Robin Hood...and I don't think given the new outfit that was accidental) among the outlaws. He kept the JLA honest in a way you don't see now. Making him the staunch progressive liberal also put him at odds with some of the more 'conservative' heroes (Flash, Superman, Batman, GL (though they were close in spite of it), and yes HAWKMAN)...in a way that I think has now been LOST with the New 52. I like the character. He's likable and he shoots arrows...but like others in the nu DCU...he's just not Ollie...and that's a voice that served a VERY distinct purpose that is now missing from the universe.

The DC Showcase Green Arrow animated short film that came with the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse DVD was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post

Those are incredible!
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    The DC Showcase Green Arrow animated short film that came with the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse DVD was excellent.

I know! I wish DC would make a longer one. I can't tell you how many times I've watched this.

Gathering the art for this tribute was a real pleasure. Unlike some of my other character tributes, I had to leave out a lot of great art pieces. That speaks to GA's rich history.