Page 66 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667686970 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    Sirry, but if Ennis ever writes Ollie then I'll be dropping the book in a hot second. I like some of Ennis' work but GREEN ARROW is NOT the book for him IMHO. I am actually looking forward to the Benson sisters.
    ... I don't know how Green Arrow is not perfect in any way for Ennis. He injects strong and, more importantly, REALISTIC social commentary that I feel it has been lacking in Green Arrow for a while (particularly since Percy and his Internet Liberal mentality arrived). Again, the political direction is not my favorite for the character but if anyone can make it worth reading that's Ennis.

More to the point though, I feel like Ennis could totally get the immensely human nature that has been absent from Ollie pretty much since the New 52. The Oliver Queen that Percy has been writing lacks all the nuance and layers that were established in his previous incarnations to the point that Ollie has become a pretty bland superhero instead of the incredibly flawed individual he was in the past. Hell, even Lemire's Ollie, despite of lacking a bit of personality, still showed some of those traits like Ollie's willingness to kill when he's enraged. I have no doubts that Ennis' Ollie would be complex, interesting and ultimately believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    More to the point though, I feel like Ennis could totally get the immensely human nature that has been absent from Ollie pretty much since the New 52. The Oliver Queen that Percy has been writing lacks all the nuance and layers that were established in his previous incarnations to the point that Ollie has become a pretty bland superhero instead of the incredibly flawed individual he was in the past. Hell, even Lemire's Ollie, despite of lacking a bit of personality, still showed some of those traits like Ollie's willingness to kill when he's enraged. I have no doubts that Ennis' Ollie would be complex, interesting and ultimately believable.
    I think Percy's Ollie is fun and dynamic character, but that's just me.

I'd rather see Ennis on an Elseworlds GA title then the main book.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Percy's Ollie is fun and dynamic character, but that's just me.
    Felt rather simplistic to me and the fact that he pretty much was the 70s version of Hal Jordan to that genderswapped douchey 70s version of Ollie that Percy called "Dinah" made things even worse.

... I don't know how Green Arrow is not perfect in any way for Ennis. He injects strong and, more importantly, REALISTIC social commentary that I feel it has been lacking in Green Arrow for a while (particularly since Percy and his Internet Liberal mentality arrived). Again, the political direction is not my favorite for the character but if anyone can make it worth reading that's Ennis.

While I really liked Lemire's run and think Percy's GA was one of the best books from Rebirth, I have to agree that Garth Ennis would probably write one of the best Green Arrow ever. Just think about Hitman, that dynamic between the characters.

Mighty Member

Yeah, Percy's rebirth run was great. And I loved his portrayal of Ollie. I'm actually going to miss him on the title, which I couldn't say after DCYou. But his Rebirth run had a great story and ended well (and on his own terms, it seems), so I'm satisfied even though he's leaving.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    (and on his own terms, it seems)
    Nope. We know he was pulled off because he said he had another story he wanted to do about Connor. Looks like DC pulled him off so they could put him on Nightwing after Humphries was moved to Harley Quinn.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Nope. We know he was pulled off because he said he had another story he wanted to do about Connor. Looks like DC pulled him off so they could put him on Nightwing after Humphries had to leave for some reason.
    For the first time ever I say: Praise DC editorial.

Unless you wanted Connor back: Down with DC editorial .

BANNED

Afraid that way of thinking only works for people who hate the superior Green Arrow.

Always Rakzo

Unless you wanted Connor back: Down with DC editorial .
    I want Connor back but the premise of artificially age Ollie and everyone around him was a pretty absurd decision from the whole team (I will never forgive them for what they did to Emiko since it pretty much went against the idea of her being a little girl who could kill you to turn her into a more generic teenager).

For example, in the recent Black Lightning miniseries they reintroduced Anissa and Jennifer not as Jefferson's daughters but as Jefferson's cousins. That way they didn't go against what was already established and they still were able to exist in the same continuity. I will always maintain that Connor should have been reintroduced as Robert's son to become Ollie's step-brother.

Afraid that way of thinking only works for people who hate the superior Green Arrow.
    Are you kidding me? I f*cking love Connor! As I always say, he's the complete antithesis of Ollie which ultimately makes him a much better man but as things currently are, he doesn't work as well since sadly Ollie has lost most of his distinctive negative traits.

BANNED

I want Connor back but the premise of artificially age Ollie and everyone around him was a pretty absurd decision from the whole team (I will never forgive them for what they did to Emiko since it pretty much went against the idea of her being a little girl who could kill you to turn her into a more generic teenager).

For example, in the recent Black Lightning miniseries they reintroduced Anissa and Jennifer not as Jefferson's daughters but as Jefferson's cousins. That way they didn't go against what was already established and they still were able to exist in the same continuity. I will always maintain that Connor should have been reintroduced as Robert's son to become Ollie's step-brother.
    From what I understand, Emi in the Nu52 was seen by almost everyone as nothing but an annoying clone of Damian Wayne, in contrast to the fairly popular and unique character she is now, and while there a few people I've seen be okay with what was done to Jefferson's kids, the majority online agree with me that this was a horrible decision and one which will hopefully be undone by Bryan Hill.

Also, I fail to see how bringing in Connor would need to 'artificially' age Oliver. If you bring him back in as a 19-20 year old, Oliver doesn't even need to be 40, not that I see that as a problem as I wish DC would allow all of their characters to age.

Always Rakzo

From what I understand, Emi in the Nu52 was seen by almost everyone as nothing but an annoying clone of Damian Wayne, in contrast to the fairly popular and unique character she is now, and while there a few people I've seen be okay with what was done to Jefferson's kids, the majority online agree with me that this was a horrible decision and one which will hopefully be undone by Bryan Hill.
    Please, everyone loved Emiko before and now she undoubtly has become more generic since she's yet another teen that are way too abundant in the DCU.

And making Anissa and Jeniffer Jeff's cousins makes sense since the only other solution would be to make him older which wouldn't be logical at all considering how he was reintroduced.

Also, I fail to see how bringing in Connor would need to 'artificially' age Oliver. If you bring him back in as a 19-20 year old, Oliver doesn't even need to be 40, not that I see that as a problem as I wish DC would allow all of their characters to age.
    Ollie has been artificially aged already considering that Emiko is no longer a kid (and again, there wasn't a proper explanation or justification for that).

At least it made her a little more distinctive from Damian.
    And I've seen people complain about them being his cousins instead of his daughters because that just doesn't fit with how most people view the characters.

The same would hold true if they tried to take away Connor being Ollie's son.
    Are you kidding me? I f*cking love Connor! As I always say, he's the complete antithesis of Ollie which ultimately makes him a much better man but as things currently are, he doesn't work as well since sadly Ollie has lost most of his distinctive negative traits.
    I think Ollie is still distinctive enough of a character for there to be a good contrast with Connor if he came back.

Always Rakzo

At least it made her a little more distinctive from Damian.
    By making her yet another teenager?

And I've seen people complain about them being his cousins instead of his daughters because that just doesn't fit with how most people view the characters.

The same would hold true if they tried to take away Connor being Ollie's son.
    But at least is logical for them considering the current Jeff's age.

And let's be honest, unlike Jeff, is not like Ollie was a great father (all the contrary in fact).

I think Ollie is still distinctive enough of a character for there to be a good contrast with Connor if he came back.
    Not unless they bring back his most extreme aspects, other than that the more balanced Connor feels out of place.

Meh I vastly preferred N52 Emiko to this aged up generic teenager version. I still like her, but I pretty much have to consider it to be separate continuities in my head cannon the shift was so jarring.

(also she was pretty different than Damian beyond the surface similarities)
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.