Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ANXF 19 Spoilers

ANXF #19
    Peter David
    Carmine Di Giandomenico

The issue continues with the confrontation with Goddess/Monster. It wants to destroy the people of the city. The team fights with the Goddess/Monster who gets fed up and decides to take the teams soul. The only member not effected is Danger who scares it and leaves. The visuals for the fight is done really well. There was allot of action in this issue.

Good banter between the team.

In the end, they get the girl so that the family can lay her to rest. They meet with Snow. Snow makes use of some of his technology - I certainly didn't expect him to vaporize the guy and his wife who helped him create Serval. I totally didn't see that coming and I'm more curious about Snow than before.

Shame we'll only get one more issue.

It was done well, the action scenes and the Goddess/Monster was quite talkative. I was amused by that.

The art was done well. The look for taking the souls visually was done well.

Danger's abilities and how she can easily make weapons out of herself is looks very good too.

Overall good wrap up to this arc and we're left with a cliff hanger for the last issue.

"My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Thanks for reviewing Neko.

I pretty much agree with what you've said. It was a very solid issue. As far as I could tell 2 big things happened.

There was another boss moment for Danger, but the revelation that she could kill the Soul Eating goddess because she's a soulless creature, whose raison d'être is to kill, was a shocker.
    The whole idea of soullessness was a big theme round the end of the last run, where a couple of the characters died and were resurrected without souls. It always led to problems. I wonder why David reintroduced it here?

And Snow really is without question a villain. Cold blooded murder no less. We always thought he was, but we don't know his game yet.

Sunfire was shown as brash and rash, and not listening to anyone. I'll say one thing for Peter David, he is brilliant at taking a long established character on in a cameo, and nailing his personality in just a few panels. I'd like to see more of him.

My only major criticism of the issue is the cover; which to me looks like a sketch. It's very rushed and unfinished, and Quicksilver shouldn't really be on it, as Shiro replaced him. Compare it to next issues variant, which is a different level in terms of quality.

image.jpg

It's very hard to see how all of this can be wrapped up successfully in one issue.
    "Self has no time for this."

I don't know either. I think some things won't be resolved. Especially if Spider-Man 2099 is making an appearance. His appearance will take away from whatever is left. Or so I think, I dunno. Maybe I'll be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    I don't know either. I think some things won't be resolved. Especially if Spider-Man 2099 is making an appearance. His appearance will take away from whatever is left. Or so I think, I dunno. Maybe I'll be surprised.
    I think you might be right. It's possible he's planning to flip some of the story over to Spiderman 2099. (Maybe even some characters?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    I think you might be right. It's possible he's planning to flip some of the story over to Spiderman 2099. (Maybe even some characters?)
    Possible. Though, I don't think one of those will be Gambit or Polaris. No real reason for thinking that though. I bet Snow, Georgia and possibly Danger could show up in that book. Maybe Warlock and Doug could make an appearance. Guess we'll find out.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, wraps up next issue. There are a lot of dangly bits at the moment. I wasn't really too excited about this issue or #18. Not a fan of the weird goddess arc. Plus, issue 19 of 20 is when Danger really comes to grips with her existential crisis? I guess maybe there wasn't a lot of warning prior to cancellation. At this point I just hope the last issue doesn't irredeemably damage any of the characters for future use (cough Doug, Warlock and Danger and the triangle of squick).

Quote Originally Posted by sanderling View Post
    It will be interesting to see what, if anything, wraps up next issue. There are a lot of dangly bits at the moment. I wasn't really too excited about this issue or #18. Not a fan of the weird goddess arc. Plus, issue 19 of 20 is when Danger really comes to grips with her existential crisis? I guess maybe there wasn't a lot of warning prior to cancellation. At this point I just hope the last issue doesn't irredeemably damage any of the characters for future use (cough Doug, Warlock and Danger and the triangle of squick).
    It doesn't really feel like there's enough time for it all, does it. It reads like a book with at least 6 issues to go.

The only characters I've heard of future plans for are Quicksilver, (regular team member on Uncanny Avengers), Gambit (X-Men cameo) and Lorna. (Few appearances and possibly more in Magneto).

Hopefully Doug, Warlock and Danger get a clean ending.

While I am sad to see that this is the next to last issue of ANXF ......however I am glad Lorna and Magneto are gonna get some time together before their whole relationship is lost due to a retcon. Thanks Marvel. Anyway great issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sanderling View Post
    Same here. The triangle appears nowhere near resolution, and the penultimate issue is pretty late to drop such hefty existential angst on Danger. Will it all be miraculously resolved in the last issue, or is this run just going to leave all three of them as dysfunctional wrecks? Perhaps it also means David isn't done with them yet and plans to bring them over to Spidey 2099, but that is mostly wishful thinking.

BANNED

... Sunfire was shown as brash and rash, and not listening to anyone. I'll say one thing for Peter David, he is brilliant at taking a long established character on in a cameo, and nailing his personality in just a few panels. I'd like to see more of him. ...
    Ditto - me too! My only real prob w/this ish was not enough Shiro. But I did like that PAD made it seem like Lorna has a fondness for him, especially in the last one, when she stuck up for him & then asked him to come along. I sense a natural chemistry between the 2 of them, and believe it's something that could definitely grow & be built upon.

The other bothersome & rather distracting thing, for me, was the muscular, manly body of the the godDESS Ammit. So I decided to do a lil' research on her & thought I'd share:

Ammit (/ˈæmɨt/; "devourer" or "soul-eater"; also spelled Ammut or Ahemait) was a female demon in ancient Egyptian religion with a body that was part lion, hippopotamus and crocodile—the three largest "man-eating" animals known to ancient Egyptians. A funerary deity, her titles included "Devourer of the Dead", "Eater of Hearts", and "Great of Death".

Ammit lived near the scales of justice in Duat, the Egyptian underworld. In the Hall of Two Truths, Anubis weighed the heart of a person against the feather of Ma'at, the goddess of truth, which was depicted as an ostrich feather (the feather was often pictured in Ma'at's headdress). If the heart was judged to be not pure, Ammit would devour it, and the person undergoing judgement was not allowed to continue their voyage towards Osiris and immortality. Once Ammit swallowed the heart, the soul was believed to become restless forever; this was called "to die a second time". Ammit was also sometimes said to stand by a lake of fire. In some traditions, the unworthy hearts were cast into the fiery lake to be destroyed. Some scholars believe Ammit and the lake represent the same concept of destruction.

Ammit was not worshipped; instead she embodied all that the Egyptians feared, threatening to bind them to eternal restlessness if they did not follow the principle of Ma'at. ...
    Interesting... and all that's from Wikipedia natch, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammit, and I also found this for a visual reference:

So what we read & saw was actually pretty accurate, and kudos to PAD & CDG for doing their homework on this obscure find.

I liked the issue overall. Polaris, Gambit, & Danger got the most love, each getting some nice moments, Big D at the end in particular (even though it sorta resulted in an abrupt 180° for her, outlook wise). And Snow - I knew it! - I hope he gets what's comin' to him, what he deserves... and it's BRUTAL! Very curious to learn what his motivations are though, no doubt. I'll be back periodically, after a second look, to discuss a few more things in greater detail I'm sure.

BANNED

Just wanted to add real quickly that I kinda like the different, neutron-esque way the artist chose to visualize Polaris' powers in this alt cover - pretty cool!

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Loved the issue. Danger stole the show
    X-Men Forever

I am hoping there is more to the ending with Snow. I had grown to like him as a morally grey corporate exec so would be disappointed if he turns out to be as cold hearted as he appeared.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I am hoping there is more to the ending with Snow. I had grown to like him as a morally grey corporate exec so would be disappointed if he turns out to be as cold hearted as he appeared.
    I doubt it will be resolved next issue. More likely they just roll him and his story over into Spiderman 2099. It's really one of the most annoying bits about this run. Gambit in particularly joined under the idea of investigating Snow to make sure he was on the level. Almost to issue 20 and the end of the book, and he never investigated jack! A superthief with access to a world wide criminal organization, two hella advanced bots who could hack servers or form listening devices and spy cams from their own bodies or even infect themselves into the building's mainfram and a guy who can read people and computer code like it's the sunday funnies, and they just sat around with Gambit petting his kittens... For shame PAD. For Shame.

Fantastic Member victor borkowski's Avatar

only one issue left to go... good writing, good art, and yet it still failed to reach expectations. b list characters to blame? gambit isn't the draw many think he is. and Polaris is a bit polarizing to say the least.