Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default My buddy claims Alien: Resurrection is the best of the series...

...is this grounds to end our friendship? He HAS seen Aliens...

Quote Originally Posted by jakesnake771 View Post
    opinions vary sum say AR is horrible i think its good i dont think its the best.

I would say yes if he had said that about Alien 3... or AVP:R, if you consider that part of the series

Fantastic Member

Nah, I don't think it's grounds to end the friendship, but you may want to consider driving him into the desert for deprogramming. Lol.

I think Resurrection is a good movie. Certainly light years better than Alien 3, or any of the AvP films. Best in the series? That's stretching it quite a bit.

Astonishing Member

Don't end the friendship, just never go see a movie on his recomendation.

BANNED

Not this alone. Just never take his advice when it comes to recommendations on movies, tv shows, or books.

If it's his first Alien movie, I could see preferring it a possibility, kind of like the old adage that for most people, whoever was the first actor you saw playing Bond or Batman or the Doctor tends to become your favorite. It's a decent action movie in its own right, it just doesn't hold a candle to its predecessors.

If he said that about any of the AVP movies though, there's just no excuse. Those things are up-and-down b-movie schlock that just happens to use A-list monsters.

BANNED

clearly, he's History's Greatest Monster™

BANNED

I don't think it's the best, but it's far from the worst. I found Aliens to be insanely terrible upon rewatching. The acid blood only works when the plot wants it to, the characters are 90% stereotypes that don't make sense in the setting, the little girl is really annoying and the marine dude who is always freaking out is incredibly annoying. It's a good movie only when everyone is dead but Ripley. The best is probably still Alien, but that movie has some dumb flaws too (the cat basically is what gets everyone in the movie killed). The series as a whole is sadly flawed, really. So picking any one over the other is hard to judge.

So keep the friendship and instead focus on something positive, like mutual hates. :P

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    I don't think it's the best, but it's far from the worst. I found Aliens to be insanely terrible upon rewatching. The acid blood only works when the plot wants it to, the characters are 90% stereotypes that don't make sense in the setting, the little girl is really annoying and the marine dude who is always freaking out is incredibly annoying. It's a good movie only when everyone is dead but Ripley. The best is probably still Alien, but that movie has some dumb flaws too (the cat basically is what gets everyone in the movie killed). The series as a whole is sadly flawed, really. So picking any one over the other is hard to judge.

So keep the friendship and instead focus on something positive, like mutual hates. :P
    ah, but there is no point in the movie "Aliens" where "everybody is dead but Ripley". James Cameron isn't the most nuanced story-teller, that's for sure. he likes the big BIG gesture. sometimes I think he's almost like the "thinking man's Michael Bay". the director's cut, however, is a better film IMO than the theatrical cut. I did appreciate the fact that he did a reversal by having Bishop NOT be evil-- just creepy.

"Aliens" has more than a few plot-holes. but I think the director's cut of "Alien" is actually worse than "Aliens". especially since the theatrical release of "Alien" is practically the best space horror movie ever made. (it makes WAY more sense that the Xenomorph was devouring the crew in the theatrical cut-- as it provides at least some reason for why it kept getting bigger-- eventually becoming larger than a human by the end. and the cocooned crew members didn't really add that much to the dramatic tension. it mostly made you wonder, "well, then why did the alien keep growing if it didn't actually eat them?" the director's cut raised more questions than it answered-- and didn't ultimately add that much to the cinematic experience.)

I always think of "Alien" and "the Thing" (Carpenter) as the two best alien horror movies ever made.

BANNED

The directors cut of Aliens just makes Aliens run longer. It's interesting if you're a fan of Aliens, it's likely boring for everyone else. On the other hand the directors cut of Alien is interesting in that it adds new stuff while being a shorter movie than the theatrical cut, and seemingly gives every Alien movie after it a middle finger by putting the cut original alien life cycle back in. The cocooned crew members scene does two big things: 1. It shows you the alien is making more eggs 2. It more greatly aligns the film with it's horror roots, (not to say it wasn't a horror movie before) the scene isn't all that different than Laurie Strode going into the room of dead people at the end of Halloween, and the bone room from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

It's okay to be friends with people who have an absolutely garbage taste in movies. Just dont argue about movies with them. Trust me I know, some of my closest friends like Adam Sandler movies .

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post

Get. Out. 10

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Just like what you like. If he's a good friend let him like what he likes and find something else to share.

As for me, theAlien universe does not exist beyond the first two films.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Astonishing Member

Is your friend a gigantic Whedon fan? Because some of those people are capable of liking a lot of horrible garbage.