Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Storm #7 Review With Spoilers

This was an entertaining and fun issue. Pak is definitely turning up the heat for Ororo in part 2 of this story arc.

The issue opens up with the preview pages we have all seen. Storm, after passing out from the strain of saving the plane in the previous issue, was in the custody of the FBI. She was restrained and had been drugged. Storm’s X-Men (Beast, Nightcrawler, and Rachel Grey) saw the senator's accusations against Ororo on the news, and got in contact with her via Rachel's telepathy. They were ready to come to her aid but Ororo had them stay away out of concern that their involvement could put their students in danger. Rachel also brings to light that in addition to Storm’s concern about a potential backlash to the JGS a large gathering of human supporters have gathered outside her location to protest her arrest and demanding her release, so they too could be at risk.

Storm made an attempt to reason with the FBI but the agent didn’t believe her and wasn’t going to let her go. That clearly didn’t matter to Storm though. Thanks to years of training as a master thief and in hand to hand combat Storm, in spite of her injuries, managed to make a daring escape. She also had the crowd of people that gathered on her behalf disburse peacefully, and continued her escape by creatively blending in with the crowd.

Once she had a moment to breathe she had the X-Men research Davis Harmon (one of the clan leaders under Yukio and the head of Eaglestar International), which they found a connection between the senator that accused Storm and Harmon, and the senator’s whereabouts in a hideout in Louisiana. When Ororo arrived at the mansion hideout she pretty much let her winds do the talking, ripping a massive hole in the roof, pounding the senator’s lame ass security and then scaring a confession out of him. The issue concludes part 2 of this story arc with Storm getting ready take off to find Davis Harmon with the senator in tow, but the FBI just arrived on the scene in force.

Highlights

**Despite the way she has been treated by the government authorities, the discrimination, being drugged against her will, and being framed Ororo still remained compassionate, patient, and a hero.

**Outside of leveraging her skills and resourcefulness I loved the use of her powers. Pak leveraged them quite creatively and in meaningful ways to the story. Deflecting bullets, bursting the roof of the corrupt Senator’s mansion hide out, localized freezing winds, and (this never gets old for this long time Storm fan) changing her clothes (technically the infamous unstable molecules) with her lightning. All very cool and handled pretty well visually.

**Seeing that her adventures thus far continue to have an impact on the world at large (both good and bad). The public has been inspired by Storm helping those who needed it. It’s a nice payoff seeing people coming together in mass, even putting themselves at risk, in order to support and protect a hero they have come to respect.

My only criticism is the inking. I initially thought Barrionuevo’s art was just…nightmarish, but after seeing his pencil work in Pak’s last CBR interview, which was gorgeous, and we all know Ruth Redmond’s colors continue to be awesome on this book, the inking is what has been really hurt the quality of the artwork.

Despite the inking this issue was a great and enjoyable read and is still a 10 out of 10 for me.
    Last edited by Wind Rider; 01-08-2015 at 12:42 AM.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

GREAT REVIEW RIDER!! I think your statement:

"Despite the way she has been treated by the government authorities, the discrimination, being drugged against her will, and being framed Ororo still remained compassionate, patient, and a hero."

Summed up perfectly why I enjoyed this issue so much. We had some great moments feat wise:
    1.) Being injured and heavily sedated storm was still able to unlock the hand restraints dampening her powers, take out three arm guards without the use of her powers,, and dodge multiple bullets fired upon her at point blank range.
    2.) Instantly freezing the gun barrels of two armed officers
    3.) Deflecting bullets using her winds within a few feet of a secret service man
    4.) Blowing off the roof of a mansion with her "furry" winds lol.

However, with all of that I think my favorite moment was when she took the moment to thank the child who was in harm's way out protesting for her freedom. In this tender moment we saw her compassion and what it truly means to be a hero; to look out for those who are defenseless. It took me back to that first issue where she proclaimed she was glad to give up living in the sky to be on earth with those she needed and who needed her. Paks inclusion of characters from previous issues and how they are impacted by storms current predicament is also very nice.

My only complaint is the art as you mentioned. At times it was hard to tell what was going on and I was so confused by the furry wind tunnel. Im hoping this is not the case with issue 8. That said, this has been my favorite issue of all the titles.

Thanks again for the review my friend!!
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 01-08-2015 at 12:28 AM.

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

Great issue but I too felt that for the first time in the series, the art was severely lacking at points.

The protest scenes are what really stood out for me. Very relevant with all that's going on today.
    Twitter: @TonyBWood

Thanks Kyss and you're welcome .

And lol on those "furry winds". The art in that panel was wonky. I thought of one of those long silver christmas tassle decorations you put on the christmas tree when I saw this. And agreed on all of your points. The creative use of power was awesome. I needed a reprieve from the lightning lass revisit we got in AXIS, and this issue hit the spot quite nicely on that. I hope Pak continue with this approach as the book moves forward. And I love the set up for #8. While she is flying away from the FBI part of me wants to see her take them all out just because she can . I'm also hoping for an epic showdown between Storm and Davis Harmon.

Here is the first review I have found of the issue:

Geekedoutnation

BANNED

Very good review. I agree with all of it and the end of the issue left one just salivating for the next issue!

Quote Originally Posted by True Believer Tony View Post
    Great issue but I too felt that for the first time in the series, the art was severely lacking at points.

The protest scenes are what really stood out for me. Very relevant with all that's going on today.
    Agreed on both points. The art to me has been surprisingly horrific at times. When I saw the pencil work for Barrionuevo I was impressed at how beautiful he drew Ororo (on par with Ibanez IMO), but this finished ink work is just...

But the protest scene was the jewel of the issue, especially the panel with Storm and the kid. I like the potential this book offers for Storm, in terms ofthe whole human/mutant relations aspect of the X-verse is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Very good review. I agree with all of it and the end of the issue left one just salivating for the next issue!
    Thanks Rutog. And hell yes. With all of those heavily armed FBI helicopters closing in and Storm ready to take the fight directly to Harmon I think the ending defintely left me hungry and eager to get to the next issue.

Amazing issue. What else is there to say? Just an amazing issue.

As for the art it didn't bother me, I wasn't spoiled by Victor as i like a more stylized approach so wasn't actually blown away by his art so it wasn't much of a change in quality in my mind.

Thinking about it thought. I would say this inker is terrible though. You are suppose to enhance someones pencils not try to draw your own style over it, which is what came across to me after seeing the pencils from Pak's interview.

This was just a plain, smart, good for everything read! Well, the artwork needs a little bit more polish.

Excellent read! Pak did a decent job with the characterization of the other characters featured in the issue this week. (i.e Rachel.Kurt) The interaction between Storm and the protesters was the best scene IMO though. As Kyss mentioned, this showed her humility as well as her impact lead on from previous actions. This was also a revisit to the 1st issue when Storm interacted with the kids of Santo Marco. and the FEATS!

Freeing herself from highly advanced menacles using only her lockpicking skill, in a room full of FBI officers. (In less than 5 minutes)

Dodging gunfire shot at point blank range

Freezing Gunmen's weapon before they can pull the trigger

Fraking transmuting her costume to WHATEVER clothing she desires for stealth purposes

Instant tornado to to blow the roof off a mansion

Deflects bullets like a telekinetic and finally confirms a wind shield.

The art was hit or miss in most panels but that was mainly due to the penciling as everyone stated. I give this issue 9/10.
    I don't care! I'll start my own group. Rejection from society is what started the X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy010 View Post
    Excellent read! Pak did a decent job with the characterization of the other characters featured in the issue this week. (i.e Rachel.Kurt) The interaction between Storm and the protesters was the best scene IMO though. As Kyss mentioned, this showed her humility as well as her impact lead on from previous actions. This was also a revisit to the 1st issue when Storm interacted with the kids of Santo Marco. and the FEATS!

Freeing herself from highly advanced menacles using only her lockpicking skill, in a room full of FBI officers. (In less than 5 minutes)

Fraking transmuting her costume to WHATEVER clothing she desires for stealth purposes

The art was hit or miss in most panels but that was mainly due to the penciling as everyone stated. I give this issue 9/10.
    I really like how Pak is writing the interaction between the Xmen. I prefer Rachel and Storm relationship be written how Pak is doing versus what Wood did and what Wilson is currently doing.

Here's another review on the issue:
    http://thegeekiary.com/storm-7-revie...ng-rogue/20348

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy010 View Post

Nice recap Roddy (the issue was full of goodies). I am thinking, since Pak revisited Marisol and the young girl from issues #1 that we will see the pilot and maybe the nurse come to Storm's defense by the end of next issue. I am doubting Harmon will confess by the end of next issue, though I think between the senator (who will probably change his tune), nurse, and pilot Ororo will get her name cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I really like how Pak is writing the interaction between the Xmen. I prefer Rachel and Storm relationship be written how Pak is doing versus what Wood did and what Wilson is currently doing.

Here's another review on the issue:
    http://thegeekiary.com/storm-7-revie...ng-rogue/20348
    Nice review. I'll look for some more as well to add . And I have to say it feels like, though Storm is the leader of the team, Wood and now Wilson are writing Storm down to prop Rachel up. I mean Storm being "off her game since Wolverine died" just comes off as plot CIS/WIS. There was not enough done, nor reflected in other books, to show Storm having such an extreme reaction to Logan's death that she should suddenly acts without thinking things through. I still liked the story though. With Pak's use of Rachel in Storm's book she was still a moral compass for Storm but without the unnecessary or contrived tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Nice recap Roddy (the issue was full of goodies). I am thinking, since Pak revisited Marisol and the young girl from issues #1 that we will see the pilot and maybe the nurse come to Storm's defense by the end of next issue. I am doubting Harmon will confess by the end of next issue, though I think between the senator (who will probably change his tune), nurse, and pilot Ororo will get her name cleared.

Nice review. I'll look for some more as well to add . And I have to say it feels like, though Storm is the leader of the team, Wood and now Wilson are writing Storm down to prop Rachel up. I mean Storm being "off her game since Wolverine died" just comes off as plot CIS/WIS. There was not enough done, nor reflected in other books, to show Storm having such an extreme reaction to Logan's death that she should suddenly acts without thinking things through. I still liked the story though. With Pak's use of Rachel in Storm's book she was still a moral compass for Storm but without the unnecessary or contrived tension.
    agreed. What we have seen in the Xmen title seems very forced which is why I appreciate paks approach to writing the two. He'll it would make more sense if Storm behaved as such in this title because we at least saw how his death did affect her. As you stated I don't mind what Wilson is doing but it is definitely not ideal.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Rachel was key to helping Storm make a plan once again. Had Rachel not informed Storm than things would have been far worse.

It's good that Storm didn't bother to randomly bash Rachel and took Rachel's insight without argument. Too bad Storm isn't that kind of leader in X-Men and this only reinforces that Storm needs to hand the field team to Rachel, who has shown that she's much etter at keeping it "Together" even when she's emotionally distraught like her father, already and take up a bigger role in the School, the Xavier role, and her own solo adventures.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 01-08-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    agreed. What we have seen in the Xmen title seems very forced which is why I appreciate paks approach to writing the two. He'll it would make more sense if Storm behaved as such in this title because we at least saw how his death did affect her. As you stated I don't mind what Wilson is doing but it is definitely not ideal.
    It would be ideal if new writers, though Wilson appears to be a fan of Storm and has a passionate interest in writing her (of which I am grateful), would use Pak's work on Storm as the foundation of their characterization of Ororo just so it can remain consistent. Storm's had a number of losses over the years and she's never been off her game before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Rachel was key to helping Storm make a plan once again. Had Rachel not informed Storm than things would have been far worse.

It's good that Storm didn't bother to randomly bash Rachel and took Rachel's insight without argument. Too bad Storm isn't that kind of leader in X-Men and this only reinforces that Storm needs to hand the field team to Rachel, who has shown that she's much etter at keeping it "Together" even when she's emotionally distraught like her father, already and take up a bigger role in the School, the Xavier role, and her own solo adventures.
    Please. Rachel was helpful to Storm in this issue but she followed Storm's direction throughout. The only thing Rachel did was advise Storm of the human protesters outside so no need to embellish Rachel's role in the book to try and make her seem more relevant. Storm wouldn't put those people at risk whether Rachel advise of her of their presence or not. And while you seem to have a problem with it the reality is Storm is the leader of the X-Men and Headmistress of the JGS (as she should be), and Rachel isn't getting either role anytime soon.

Rachel has had plenty of moments of NOT keeping it together, so Storm being "off her game" right now in X-Men doesn't mean Rachel is emotionally stronger or better equipped to lead.