Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Please. Rachel was helpful to Storm in this issue but she followed Storm's direction throughout. The only thing Rachel did was advise Storm of the human protesters outside so no need to embellish Rachel's role in the book to try and make her seem more relevant. Storm wouldn't put those people at risk whether Rachel advise of her of their presence or not. And while you seem to have a problem with it the reality is Storm is the leader of the X-Men and Headmistress of the JGS (as she should be), and Rachel isn't getting either role anytime soon.

Rachel has had plenty of moments of NOT keeping it together, so Storm being "off her game" right now in X-Men doesn't mean Rachel is emotionally stronger or better equipped to lead.
    I would not even go so far as to say that Rachel advised Ororo, more like she simply made Storm aware of what was going on outside the hospital with the protesters. After that, she merely stated the obvious about whatever Storm was going to do would affect those outside. Of course Storm would have been hip to the fact of her handling the situation improperly could have a negative backlash on her supporters out on the street once she was made aware of their presence. This was just Pak's way of letting the readers know this while writing some fun dialog between the two characters. Rachel never advised Storm on any course of action. Storm took in the situation and came up with a course of action on her own once Rachel made her aware of that detail outside. Rachel then took orders like a good little soldier and, alongside Nightcrawler and Beast, proved to be helpful to Storm.

All in all, I did enjoy the Storm/Rachel interaction in this book as well as Storm's dialog with both Kurt and Beast.
    Last edited by rutog98; 01-08-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I would not even go so far as to say that Rachel advised Ororo, more like she simply made Storm aware of what was going on outside the hospital with the protesters. After that, she merely stated the obvious about whatever Storm was going to do would affect those outside. Of course Storm would have been hip to the fact of her handling the situation improperly could have a negative backlash on her supporters out on the street once she was made aware of their presence. This was just Pak's way of letting the readers know this while writing some fun dialog between the two characters. Rachel never advised Storm on any course of action. Storm took in the situation and came up with a course of action on her own once Rachel made her aware of that detail outside. Rachel then took orders like a good little soldier and, alongside Nightcrawler and Beast, proved to be helpful to Storm.

All in all, I did enjoy the Storm/Rachel interaction in this book as well as Storm's dialog with both Kurt and Beast.
    You're right. I should have selected my words better. Rachel didn't influence Storm's decision making at all. She simply gave Storm the TP heads up is what I meant.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Rachel was key to helping Storm make a plan once again. Had Rachel not informed Storm than things would have been far worse.

It's good that Storm didn't bother to randomly bash Rachel and took Rachel's insight without argument. Too bad Storm isn't that kind of leader in X-Men and this only reinforces that Storm needs to hand the field team to Rachel, who has shown that she's much etter at keeping it "Together" even when she's emotionally distraught like her father, already and take up a bigger role in the School, the Xavier role, and her own solo adventures.
    Yes it's always nice to see Rachel be competent.
    I don't care! I'll start my own group. Rejection from society is what started the X-men.

BANNED

Do you guys recall when Storm said she didn't know why Davis Harmon would come after her in her conversation with Rachel, Hank and Kurt telepathically while she was being sedated? Either there is another shadowy threat to Storm that is yet to be unveiled that may be working through Harmon who is working through the senator, or do you think Harmon is targeting Storm to eliminate her to prevent her from coming to Yukio's aid in the future? Lets say Harmon wants to make a play for the leadership of the four clans, he would probably surmise that Yukio may once more engage Storm's help and is thus taking this course of action. I don't believe it is the latter, though, because Storm and Yukio have broken friendship at this point, so why target her to separate her from Yukio? Yukio has already created that division between herself and Ororo all on her own. Storm confirmed that in issue 7 during her conversation with Rachel, Kurt and Hank. I don't know. Pak can go any number or places with this. What do you guys think is going on?

Do you guys recall when Storm said she didn't know why Davis Harmon would come after her in her conversation with Rachel, Hank and Kurt telepathically while she was being sedated? Either there is another shadowy threat to Storm that is yet to be unveiled that may be working through Harmon who is working through the senator, or do you think Harmon is targeting Storm to eliminate her to prevent her from coming to Yukio's aid in the future? Lets say Harmon wants to make a play for the leadership of the four clans, he would probably surmise that Yukio may once more engage Storm's help and is thus taking this course of action. I don't believe it is the latter, though, because Storm and Yukio have broken friendship at this point, so why target her to separate her from Yukio? Yukio has already created that division between herself and Ororo all on her own. Storm confirmed that in issue 7 during her conversation with Rachel, Kurt and Hank. I don't know. Pak can go any number or places with this. What do you guys think is going on?
    I think there is a shadowed figure targeting Storm, and I am hoping she gains an awareness of him/her next issue. I think Davis Harmon could be connected (or maybe even controlled by) this figure, but your other point about him wanting to eliminate Storm so he can make a play for the leadership of the clans so even more plausible as of right now. Even with Storm and Yukio's friendship being on the rocks (even if she is completely letting it go like she indicated in the issue) I think Storm would still go to her aid.

I'm thinking your latter point about Harmon looking to eliminate Ororo so she is out of the way sounds more likely, and that at the conclusion we will see Ororo find out about another unknown figure that is behind the scenes. It is curious how Davis Harmon came back from the dead. Maybe he was resurrected by this unseen player, which could make them quite powerful (maybe even a god ).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    I think there is a shadowed figure targeting Storm, and I am hoping she gains an awareness of him/her next issue. I think Davis Harmon could be connected (or maybe even controlled by) this figure, but your other point about him wanting to eliminate Storm so he can make a play for the leadership of the clans so even more plausible as of right now. Even with Storm and Yukio's friendship being on the rocks (even if she is completely letting it go like she indicated in the issue) I think Storm would still go to her aid.

I'm thinking your latter point about Harmon looking to eliminate Ororo so she is out of the way sounds more likely, and that at the conclusion we will see Ororo find out about another unknown figure that is behind the scenes. It is curious how Davis Harmon came back from the dead. Maybe he was resurrected by this unseen player, which could make them quite powerful (maybe even a god ).
    This is what I would prefer to be the case. To introduce a god as Storm's nemesis would be AWESOME! In Pak's most recent CBR interview, he was asked if there was someone else gunning for Storm besides Davis Harmon, and he was quiet on that. He said that we'd have to read to find out. I think its entirely plausible that there is a shadowy threat and the obvious path, eliminating Storm so she can't help Yukio in the future, is probably just a distraction from something even bigger...or at least a more powerful threat. In other words, people may think Harmon targeting Storm is for the obvious reason of her ties to Yukio, and Pak is counting on people thinking that, only to surprise us with something else entirely!

Agreed that's the same thing I was thinking ,with the conclusion of War machine, Harmon should not be alive. And it appears his return is through means of tech and not magic or divinity. But I do see a much bigger picture being drawn out here and do believe the person in the background has the pencil.
    I don't care! I'll start my own group. Rejection from society is what started the X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy010 View Post
    Agreed that's the same thing I was thinking ,with the conclusion of War machine, Harmon should not be alive. And it appears his return is through means of tech and not magic or divinity. But I do see a much bigger picture being drawn out here and do believe the person in the background has the pencil.
    This is a good point. The image of Harmon in issue 7 had him looking like a normal person (dead but normal) and then we saw him with all of those cybernetic parts in issues 4 and 5. Th only X-villain I can think of would be the Reavers (maybe Donald Pierce who is dead IIRC) and Spiral. And after their time together in UXF (though they didn't come off as the best of friends) I doubt Spiral would be gunning for Storm.

This is what I would prefer to be the case. To introduce a god as Storm's nemesis would be AWESOME! In Pak's most recent CBR interview, he was asked if there was someone else gunning for Storm besides Davis Harmon, and he was quiet on that. He said that we'd have to read to find out. I think its entirely plausible that there is a shadowy threat and the obvious path, eliminating Storm so she can't help Yukio in the future, is probably just a distraction from something even bigger...or at least a more powerful threat. In other words, people may think Harmon targeting Storm is for the obvious reason of her ties to Yukio, and Pak is counting on people thinking that, only to surprise us with something else entirely!
    I can see Pak going this route. I think that whoever it s they will likely be well beyond Harmon as far as the threat level is concerned. If anything though it looks like we won't begin to really find out until issue #10 and beyond.

I like this issue over all. The way Storm uses her powers in this issue is cool and I'm glad that she simply didn't start tossing lightning bolts around. I think the protest scenes resonate well with the various protests going on today throughout the cities of the U.S. and also around the world. Seeing Nightcrawler and Beast in this issue is also a nice treat as I like both of them and think this is how their friendships should be portrayed. Its nice to see the X-men actually get along with each other.

My only complaint is the art which I find is kinda lackluster during some scenes. It just downplays the scene for me which in turn takes away from the story for me as it has less of an impact.

But I did like seeing Storm deflect bullets with her winds and cause some instant snow in the middle of the city.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Rachel was key to helping Storm make a plan once again. Had Rachel not informed Storm than things would have been far worse.

It's good that Storm didn't bother to randomly bash Rachel and took Rachel's insight without argument. Too bad Storm isn't that kind of leader in X-Men and this only reinforces that Storm needs to hand the field team to Rachel, who has shown that she's much etter at keeping it "Together" even when she's emotionally distraught like her father, already and take up a bigger role in the School, the Xavier role, and her own solo adventures.
    Did we read the same issue? I suggest you go back and reread this one. Rachel didn't help Storm come up with a plan. Storm told Rachel to find Harmon and that her plan to teleport Kurt in to help Storm was a dangerous one that could put the students at risk. Storm even had to help the rookie wannabe leader understand that if the FBI had protocols in place for Storm they should have a similar one in place for telepaths. Therefore, if they were able to contact Storm mentally it was perhaps because it was setup.

Rachel didn't have the foresight to look beyond just getting Storm out of the FBI clutches. Storm, however, is not just looking at the tree but she is looking at the forest. The big picture as LEADERS are should do. Seeing that Rachel is still upset she is not the headmistress and not the 1st in command over the Xmen team must have her slipping.

It was nice for Rachel to point out the protesters were outside the facility she was imprisoned; however, even had she not done this Storm would have adjusted for it. Ultimately speaking, Rachel still fell in line as she was told to do and that was to get Intel on Harmon and all those who possibly were in contact with Storm.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I like this issue over all. The way Storm uses her powers in this issue is cool and I'm glad that she simply didn't start tossing lightning bolts around. I think the protest scenes resonate well with the various protests going on today throughout the cities of the U.S. and also around the world. Seeing Nightcrawler and Beast in this issue is also a nice treat as I like both of them and think this is how their friendships should be portrayed. Its nice to see the X-men actually get along with each other.

My only complaint is the art which I find is kinda lackluster during some scenes. It just downplays the scene for me which in turn takes away from the story for me as it has less of an impact.

But I did like seeing Storm deflect bullets with her winds and cause some instant snow in the middle of the city.
    I promise you guys, if Storm got her full head of hair, goddess locks back, it would improve a lot of the art problems in the book. Mohawks are not beautiful on women. Worse, if the artist handles the haircut poorly, the female can end up looking streetish and manly. Somebody said they tweeted to Pak after issue 6 that Storm looks like "an ugly butch" or something like that. The book is really picking up in terms of stories. We are getting new material for Storm that we have never seen before. I mean this "Storm, Public Enemy No. 1" arc would even make for a good "Storm" movie in the theaters. The haircut needs to go as its a drag on the book and readers need to be reengaged to pick up the book because if they do so now, the stories will grab them...providing the ugly mohawk doesn't push them away.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy010 View Post
    In the solicitations for issue 9, while Storm is pulling Gambit out of some trouble he gets himself into, a shadowy figure is going to be gunning for her. I wonder if its the mastermind behind Davis Harmon.

Somehow, I'm seeing a possibility that Candra might be mixed up in this whole thing somehow. The reason I get that is because of Gambit showing up for issue 9. Do you guys recall that Annual where Shinobi Shaw was putting together his own version of The Inner Circle and he tried to recruit Storm for his group? Candra ended up being the mastermind behind the whole thing as she was the shadowy head of the Inner Circle with Shaw just being her front man. Taking that instance into consideration, I could see Candra behind the Harmon thing and continuing on in issue 9 and further.

By issue 8, Storm will probably have her name cleared and expose the Harmon and the senator as the culprits, but the larger shadowy mastermind behind it all will probably remain at large and come at her again in the Gambit story.

Anyway, any other guesses for this shadow threat? Somebody already mentioned Shadow King. I brought up Candra, any other ideas?

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

In the solicitations for issue 9, while Storm is pulling Gambit out of some trouble he gets himself into, a shadowy figure is going to be gunning for her. I wonder if its the mastermind behind Davis Harmon.

Somehow, I'm seeing a possibility that Candra might be mixed up in this whole thing somehow. The reason I get that is because of Gambit showing up for issue 9. Do you guys recall that Annual where Shinobi Shaw was putting together his own version of The Inner Circle and he tried to recruit Storm for his group? Candra ended up being the mastermind behind the whole thing as she was the shadowy head of the Inner Circle with Shaw just being her front man. Taking that instance into consideration, I could see Candra behind the Harmon thing and continuing on in issue 9 and further.

By issue 8, Storm will probably have her name cleared and expose the Harmon and the senator as the culprits, but the larger shadowy mastermind behind it all will probably remain at large and come at her again in the Gambit story.

Anyway, any other guesses for this shadow threat? Somebody already mentioned Shadow King. I brought up Candra, any other ideas?
    Where is the shadowy figure shown ur mentioning?

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

I promise you guys, if Storm got her full head of hair, goddess locks back, it would improve a lot of the art problems in the book. Mohawks are not beautiful on women. Worse, if the artist handles the haircut poorly, the female can end up looking streetish and manly. Somebody said they tweeted to Pak after issue 6 that Storm looks like "an ugly butch" or something like that. The book is really picking up in terms of stories. We are getting new material for Storm that we have never seen before. I mean this "Storm, Public Enemy No. 1" arc would even make for a good "Storm" movie in the theaters. The haircut needs to go as its a drag on the book and readers need to be reengaged to pick up the book because if they do so now, the stories will grab them...providing the ugly mohawk doesn't push them away.
    The problem isn't the hairdo, it's the actual art.

Storm doesn't have to look feminine/beautiful, she has to look powerful, and that's accomplished with any hairstyle if drawn properly.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007