Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Shutter, #2

Joe Keatinge and Leila Del Duca demonstrate an incredible writer/artist synergy with the fun and whimsical "Shutter" #2, taking readers on an exploration of an incredible world.

Full review here.

Amazing Member

I kinda thought it was dull. Doesn't IMAGE like superheroes anymore? Do I have to try and find something from the big 2? *shudder*

Incredible Member

No, ComicBookMan, you have to read Valiant!!! That is a much better alternative.

As far as Shutter, the first half of the book felt like a mess. It was just mindless action with no explanation as to who was who and what their motivations were. I also thought the paneling was lackluster. I just didn't care what was going on. However, I liked the second half of the book and am still intrigued enough to finish the first arc.

Does anyone feel like the first two issues were really short. I don't have the book in front of me, but I could swear it had less pages than the average comic book. And I don't count the comic at the end of the book...I pay for Shutter, not for some other random two-page comic.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I'm just going to quote myself on what I said in my personal review regarding this comic and toss in an image from it as well (9 from me. Big improvement over the last issue which was just dull):

So, after Kate is captured by some mechanical man that looks like Tik-Tok and his purple glowing ghost ninjas, they make their escape in something reminiscent of Baba Yaga’s hut as three big mice (wearing Huey, Dewey, and Louie’s colors). However, the local saucer police are on the attack and try to bring them down, while another bounty hunter gang made of gangster-looking lions attack them in their flying 40′s car with tommy guns.

This just sums it all up. Dear God do I love comics.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    No, ComicBookMan, you have to read Valiant!!! That is a much better alternative.

As far as Shutter, the first half of the book felt like a mess. It was just mindless action with no explanation as to who was who and what their motivations were. I also thought the paneling was lackluster. I just didn't care what was going on. However, I liked the second half of the book and am still intrigued enough to finish the first arc.
    Agreed. I was reading the book and I thought maybe I had gotten it by mistake. I couldn't remember any that I had read that was like this. Then toward the end it started to make sense. But the book in the beginning is very abrupt and jarring. I am sure in a trade it will be fine. But going between issues, I was lost.

Agree on Vailiant, at least what I read. It is intelligent and different, like Image.