Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default IMAGE EXPO LIVE: Eric Stephenson's Keynote Address

The 2015 comic book season kicks off with Image Comics Publisher Eric Stephenson's sure-to-be-newsworthy Image Expo keynote address.

Full article here.

BANNED

Can we get a Bomb Queen reboot please?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Let's see here, lots of self promotion and bragging about he and his company are the super duper best... oh! Comic announcements:

Paul Jenkins on Spawn? Eh... he doesn't really impress me that much as a writer.
    Savior. I'm kind of indifferent to the writer and artist in general.
    Airboy: Yeah that's right. That book exists and is supposedly coming isn't it?
    Heaven: Philip Tan is drawing? Yeah, no thank you.
    Starve: Interesting idea, but I'm sort of mixed on Wood as a writer.
    Black Wood: Garry Brown? I thought he was working on Catwoman
    8house: Still waiting for any word about when this comes out. It's been over a year.
    Island: Interesting, a comic magazine. Could go either way.
    Pretty Deadly: Second arc in September?! Gees man, that long?
    Tadaima: No opinion really.
    Plutona: Oh! New Jeff Lemire series! I'm excited!
    A.D.: Now there's a team up! I'm intrigued.
    We Stand on Guard: A writer that rarely hits with me to, an artist I never heard of, and with a plot that sounds okayish. I'm indifferent.
    Monstress: Okay, I'm a bit intrigued here. Finally something that grabs my attention that is from Lemire or Snyder.
    Sons of the Devil: *shrugs*
    Run Love Kill: Never heard of anyone on the team and honestly, I need more information than this.
    No Mercy: This sounds like one of those weird slasher films I could find on Netflix
    The Ludocrats: Yep. the title even sounds like a Gillen comic. I wonder what the too cool for school dialogue will sound like?
    Kaptara: Just because you can do whatever you want, doesn't mean you should. I'm not even too into Saga to begin with, making it gay won't change it (though if you made all cats or ponies on the other hand...)
    Revengeance: Well it's drawn by Cooke, so there's that at least.
    I Hate Fairyland: Could be fun, but as long as it doesn't become a gore fest for the sake of it...
    Paper Girls: Well the artist is good, but Vaughn is the ultimate problem. Can he tone his immaturity and his "mature" dialogue to make this work?
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 01-08-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Island sounds cool. Not exactly sure how well an anthology is gonna sell though.

Im in for Jenkins on Spawn!
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 01-08-2015 at 12:25 PM.

I'm stoked for Island.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Island will fold within a year.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

As a Canadian, I have to buy We Stand on Guard.

"What if the most dangerous man on Earth was also the one trying to do the most good?"

So like... Superman?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

So besides Jeff Lemire & Scott Snyder's Work, the only thing that grabbed me was Monstress. Oh well.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    So besides Jeff Lemire & Scott Snyder's Work, the only thing that grabbed me was Monstress. Oh well.
    Your post up at the top completely reflects my opinions except Savoir. I love the artist involved.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

I think this all sounds amazing particularly; Paper Girls, Saviour, A.D., Plutona, The Ludocrats, Kaptara, and I Hate Fairyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Noviere View Post
    As a Canadian, I have to buy We Stand on Guard.
    My thoughts exactly.
    XMenGold XMenBlue GenX Cable Iceman AstonishingXMen UncannyAvengers SpectacularSpiderMan SecretWarriors DoctorStrange
    TheFlash Nightwing Supersons TeenTitans Aquaman Deathstroke WildStorm Saga Wicked+Divine Low Descender KillorbeKilled SeventoEternity

So on board for Island and Paper Girls and probably new Zdarsky and Gillen stuff too. Also probably at least the first issue of half this stuff by the time it comes out. But Island and Paper Girls, I'm ready for those now!

Love or hate Stephenson, something is definitely working at Image these days. For what it's worth, here's my takeaway from today's announcements:

- I'll definitely buy Monstress-I've been waiting for Marjorie Liu to write a creator-owned and liked her work with Takeda on X-23.

- I'm looking forward to the next arc of Pretty Deadly.

- I'll probably check out Run Love Kill (the cover got me) and Paper Girls (Chiang!) and possibly Plutonia (need to hear more about it).

Also, so happy to see more women creators involved at the Expo and in the books this year.
    Last edited by klynn; 01-08-2015 at 02:07 PM.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Yeah, the announcement of Paul Jenkins was pretty anticlimactic, especially after all of the Toddler's hype of it being an "Eisner winning writer." I actually looked it up - Jenkins won, with Jae Lee, for Best New Series for Inhumans back in 1999. Didn't even know that. With his recent work at DC, Jenkins has just proven capable of working under micro-managing, fickle editorial, which seems to be what Todd is looking for right now.

Stephenson's jabs at the Big Two are annoying, but he's actually toned it down this time compared to his prior keynotes. Maybe it's because Kirkman wasn't there this time.

But out of curiosity, what would be an appropriate level of "hype" in your opinion? Zero promotion whatsoever and no advance announcements at all, just a solicitation in Previews? Come on. It's an announcement at a keynote address at a publisher's own event. And there's a slide. I'd hardly consider that a gigantic amount of hype.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Let's see here, lots of self promotion and bragging about he and his company are the super duper best... oh! Comic announcements:

Paul Jenkins on Spawn? Eh... he doesn't really impress me that much as a writer.
    Savior. I'm kind of indifferent to the writer and artist in general.
    Airboy: Yeah that's right. That book exists and is supposedly coming isn't it?
    Heaven: Philip Tan is drawing? Yeah, no thank you.
    Starve: Interesting idea, but I'm sort of mixed on Wood as a writer.
    Black Wood: Garry Brown? I thought he was working on Catwoman
    8house: Still waiting for any word about when this comes out. It's been over a year.
    Island: Interesting, a comic magazine. Could go either way.
    Pretty Deadly: Second arc in September?! Gees man, that long?
    Tadaima: No opinion really.
    Plutona: Oh! New Jeff Lemire series! I'm excited!
    A.D.: Now there's a team up! I'm intrigued.
    We Stand on Guard: A writer that rarely hits with me to, an artist I never heard of, and with a plot that sounds okayish. I'm indifferent.
    Monstress: Okay, I'm a bit intrigued here. Finally something that grabs my attention that is from Lemire or Snyder.
    Sons of the Devil: *shrugs*
    Run Love Kill: Never heard of anyone on the team and honestly, I need more information than this.
    No Mercy: This sounds like one of those weird slasher films I could find on Netflix
    The Ludocrats: Yep. the title even sounds like a Gillen comic. I wonder what the too cool for school dialogue will sound like?
    Kaptara: Just because you can do whatever you want, doesn't mean you should. I'm not even too into Saga to begin with, making it gay won't change it (though if you made all cats or ponies on the other hand...)
    Revengeance: Well it's drawn by Cooke, so there's that at least.
    I Hate Fairyland: Could be fun, but as long as it doesn't become a gore fest for the sake of it...
    Paper Girls: Well the artist is good, but Vaughn is the ultimate problem. Can he tone his immaturity and his "mature" dialogue to make this work?
    Only in your world, and that of the extremely vocal minority on these forums, is having a 3x Eisner winner for Best Writer a book's "ultimate problem."

I'm confident Gillen's "too cool for school dialogue" will be very cool and generally humorous.

And since when has Skottie Young ever drawn a "gore fest"? I realize you're relatively new to comics, despite reviewing them, but still.

I'm also pretty sure that "gay Saga" was a joke.

Also, on Wood, I generally find that his creator-owned stuff is better than his work-for-hire. Though it often reads better in trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    Island will fold within a year.
    Unfortunately, you're probably right. Didn't Palmiotti and Gray try something very similar, also at Image, just a couple of years ago? The sales were horrible. Regardless of quality, that format just really struggles in the American market.

Anyway, I'll definitely give Snyder, Lemire, Wood, Vaughan, and Gillen's books a look. I may also try out Young, Zdarsky, and Cooke's books. Not sure.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-09-2015 at 10:17 AM.