Default Steve Orlando is back

As Wonder Woman and her compatriots travel through the broken realm, Diana relates the story of the real first time she left Themyscira…and traveled with her mother to a bizarre alternate version of their home, where Empress Hippolyta reigned with an iron fist! But the Empress didn’t take too kindly to their territorial incursion…and so Diana was forced to watch as her mother battled for her life against the worst possible version of herself! What other secrets did Dimension Chi conceal? And have any of them followed Diana back to our universe? Find out in this tale by guest-writer Steve Orlando that delivers a crucial piece of G. Willow Wilson’s epic storyline!

Just from the premise I was wondering if this was going to explain more about the fake New 52 Themyscira.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just from the premise I was wondering if this was going to explain more about the fake New 52 Themyscira.
    That's where my mind went as well.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Good theory! Although if true, I hope we never see the New 52 cast again after this. Leave it dead and buried as it should be after all of the damage that was done to Wonder Woman's brand because of it.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The New 52 Amazons is one strong possibility, but I think there are two strikes against it. The first is that we already re-visited them back in Rucka's Rebirth run, so returning to them would feel a bit redundant. The second is the reference to "Empress Hippolyta". One possibility I'm mulling over is that we get to see a world where the Amazons turned to conquest after they freed themselves from slavery, but I'm sure there are lots more possible options that Orlando and Wilson could have thought up.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I wonder if instead of the New 52 Amazons, this is about Superwoman's Amazons from Earth 3(Crime Syndicate's Earth)?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

So this is the previous issue

WONDER WOMAN #72
    written by G. WILLOW WILSON
    art by JESUS MERINO
    cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    Diana and her compatriots have crossed from our world into a shattered land where no earthly feet have fallen in eons…but that doesn’t mean that everything there is dead and gone! If this is indeed the road to the lost Themyscira, Wonder Woman will face any danger to reach its end—but that doesn’t mean that those she’s traveling with will survive!
    ON SALE 06.12.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.

Neat, I wonder if it’s a Dark Multiverse Earth? Either way this sounds like an interesting Elseworld trip.

Extraordinary Member

Interesting the Diana was captured with chains that can hold her. I hope that’s because her powers don’t work on an earth ruled by other gods, or that she’s forced to surrender when her friends are captured.

Another theory would be the chains were made to hold Heracles...
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Interesting the Diana was captured with chains that can hold her. I hope that’s because her powers don’t work on an earth ruled by other gods, or that she’s forced to surrender when her friends are captured.

Another theory would be the chains were made to hold Heracles...
    That looks like a younger Diana.

Steve Orlando? ZzZzZz...

I tweeted at him a few days ago asking if we’d see Duke Dazam and he didn’t reply.

Regardless, I’m hoping for some deep cuts into the Wonder mythos for this story.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I tweeted at him a few days ago asking if we’d see Duke Dazam and he didn’t reply.

Regardless, I’m hoping for some deep cuts into the Wonder mythos for this story.
    I wonder if it's a callback to a different multiverse-crossing WW issue -- issue #100, from 1958, featuring the Wonder Woman of Dimension X.

It was a Kanigher hackpiece once again rehashing a scenario in which WW encounters other versions of herself, in this case a dimension-spanning contest of challenges.

That Dimension X wasn't a dark and scary realm, like Dimension Chi, but of course X = chi.