Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Action Comics, #38

Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder's "Action Comics" run continues to impress, as hell bubbles through into the isolated Smallville where all is not quite as it seems.

Full review here.

I don't know what the hells going on anymore but it still manages to be a great time none the less! (although an explanation for wtf these aliens dudes is would be appreciated lol)

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    I don't know what the hells going on anymore but it still manages to be a great time none the less! (although an explanation for wtf these aliens dudes is would be appreciated lol)
    All we know is that they are from the Phantom Zone.

My god, I love this comic with a passion. It's a shame that it is getting slept on.

Is it me or is Lana becoming more popular than Lois. This is in regards to her being used more in comics more recently/often than Lois is.

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post
    My god, I love this comic with a passion. It's a shame that it is getting slept on.

Is it me or is Lana becoming more popular than Lois. This is in regards to her being used more in comics more recently/often than Lois is.
    Her relationship is certainly a lot more fun and interesting then anything he's had with Lois as far as I'm concerned.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post

Not really, it is only pak using her. At least pak gave her a different personality now
    Last edited by Blacksun; 01-08-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Still the best Superman on the market right now. Wonder when the book is actually going to refer to the Ultra-Humanite by name. It manipulating Jonathan and Martha and Superman's levy of emotions was both pitch perfect and very sad.

The townsfolk not bothering or trying hard enough to fill Superman in the second he showed up is plot convenience, but I can let it go. I'm sure there's no collaboration going on, but this fits really, really well with what Futures End has told us about Smallville too. A nice albeit probably unintentional loose connection.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-08-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Not gonna lie; parts of this issue unsettled me a bit, especially the cliffhanger. Eager to see where the story goes next.

I enjoyed this issue. I think the score might have been a bit too generous, but this arc has been pretty solid overall. It's not enough to attack Superman. He's too strong. It takes a psychological element to really have an impact and that's exactly what this issue had. Superman didn't struggle physically as much as he did mentally, having to deal with genuine fear in a way that made him come off as painfully human at times. The only problem I saw was that it got a little predictable at times. I love how seeing his dead parents really affected him. But the story surrounding it just felt overly generic. I would've given this book a 3.5 out of 5 at the most, but I think the arc as a whole has been very enjoyable in a great many ways.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Finally got a chance to read the issue, and I really enjoyed it. Generally, I agree with the comments, especially Sacred Knight and Kivatt, though I cant speak for how much panel time Lois is getting these days; the only Super-titles Im reading are Action and the two team-up books with Bruce and Diana. But I havent seen much of Lois in a while.

Keeping in mind that I still have not had a chance to get my coffee, I'd give the issue a 7 out of 10. There were a couple things that dont make sense and some information that we're still lacking I'd like to have (are these monsters prisoners of the Zone or natural inhabitants? If the latter, why have we never seen them before?) but all in all, this is what Superman comics should be.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Remember back when I was bummed because Rocafort was taking a break from Superman and Kuder was the fill-in, because I wasn't really familiar with him?

Me neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Remember back when I was bummed because Rocafort was taking a break from Superman and Kuder was the fill-in, because I wasn't really familiar with him?

Me neither.
    Heh.

I remember not really liking the look of the "Superman punches Orion" cover we saw months in advance. And I remember not being very excited at all and thinking that the last thing Superman needed was some half-assed retro-looking art by a dude I barely had heard of.

And I am very much eating crow. 'Cause damn.

Random thought. I'd like to see Francis Manupaul do a stint on Superman at some point. I liked his Flash. I hear good things about his Detective.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Finally got to read it, and eh. No fault of Pak's--what's good is REALLY good--but it's really clearly being padded out because of Convergence. I fear that the Greg Pak/Aaron Kuder Action run will never get out from under the shoe of the crossovers de jour to become anything other than a cripplingly compromised masterwork.
    Buh-bye

I'm loving this. Action Comics is on fire. Superman is a great character. My favorite in all comics. Writers like Pak make me like him even more.

This has been one of the best Superman books in years. Both artist and writer have been knocking it out of the park. This new Ultra Humanite is very creepy. Yes Superman is one of the strongest beings around but his love for his friends and family can be exploited by his enemies as Pak has brilliantly displayed here. That's why I've never understood why people say Superman is a difficult character to write. A good comic book is more than just punching things and defeating enemies with physical strength. Superman's compassion and his drive to protect his loved ones should be at the core of every great story.