Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

Default Centralized Image Expo Thread

Hey everybody, lots of news today but too many threads to know where to just discuss stuff. So I thought I would put this one here with a link to the poll to vote for your most anticipated new series.

I noticed a lot of the conversations seemed pretty negative which is fair but surprising to me. While there were definitely titles I am not excited for there were plenty of surprises that pique my interest. I like the idea of Brandon Graham being in charge of a comics magazine. It seems ideally suited to his talents and I think many of the best aspects of comics magazines might come through without some of the negatives. I continue to be really hopeful for Injections which, as with many great ellis books, looks like it could pass for a spinoff from Planetary.

So what is getting everyone excited? New Vaughan books? Skottie Young going nuts? Phonogram follow up?

I may post a comprehensive list of news from the expo here in a bit just so people can browse it easily.

• Spawn to be written by Paul Jenkins
    • Mcfarlane,Brian Holgun, Clayton Crain publishing book called "Savior" "What if the most dangerous man on Earth was also the one trying to do the most good?"
    • Jame Robinson still working on "Airboy" also working on series called "Heaven" "about Mankind going to war with god in the future," with artist Philip Tan
    • Brian Wood has two new series coming. "Starve" by Wood, Danijel Zezelj and Dave Stewart about a future where celebrity chefs are royalty; and "Black Road," from Wood and Garry Brown
    • Brandon Graham's 8House still coming, has a preview, Graham and others to create comics magazine called Island along the lines of a less salacious Heavy Metal
    • Deconnick and Rios working on arc 2 of Pretty Deadly
    • Emi Lenox has a travel log project
    • Jeff Lemire and Lenox to work together on book called "Plutona" about "a group of kids who find the body of the most famous superhero, dead in the woods."
    • Scott Snyder and Lemire to team up on book called "A.D.," which stands for "After Death." The book, written by Snyder and illustrated by Lemire, is about a man able to live multiple lives.
    • BKV has two new books. "We Stand on Guard," illustrated by Steve Skroce. The series takes place 100 years in the future, and is about, "a heroic band of Canadian civilians turned badass freedom fighters, who have to fight off an invasion of their country from another country -- the United States of America. Unfortunately, a hundred years from now, the United States has a lot of giant fucking robots." The other book is "Paper Girls" about " This is a story of four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls, on the night something very strange happens." with artist Cliff Chiang
    • Writer Marjorie Liu to pen "Monstress". an alternate, 1920s Earth in which immense, other-worldly creatures roam the world," Liu told the crowd. "Some of them are made of flesh, some of them are made of spirit, some of them are a mix of both. Then imagine there is this young girl who is a refugee from a war. She lives in the margins of society. She wakes up one day and has a psychic connection to the most dangerous, most mysterious, of these creatures."
    • Brian Buccellato writing "Sons of the Devil" with artist Toni Infante.
    • Eric Canete and Jonathan Tsuei have a book. The book is titled "Run Love Kill," and a preview can be seen on CBR. "We're being super-literal. There's a lot of running, a lot of loving, and a lot of killing," Canete said.
    • Writer Alex de Campi is doing a series at Image with Carla Speed McNeil. Titled "No Mercy," it's about a group of teenagers on a service trip whose bus falls off of a mountain -- and things get worse from there. "There's no cell phones. There's no mercy."
    • Kieron Gillen working on "Ludocrats" illustrated by Lafuente, a long-awaited follow-up to "Phonogram" called "Phonogram: Material Girl" and an arc of The Wicked and the Divinewith guest illustrators including: Stephanie Hans, Tula Lotay and Kate Brown.
    • Zdarsky announces book with artist Kagan Mcleod pitched as "Gay Saga" called Kaptara
    • Darwyn Cooke making "Revengeance" a three-part miniseries. "Revengeance is kind of a weird thing that came out of a couple of different sources," Cooke said.
    • Skottie Young making ultra-violent fairy tale deconstruction titled "I Hate FairyLand" based on concept of a little girl being stuck in fairyland for thirty years, making her young on the outside but older inside.
    • Previews available for many of those books as well as "Injections" on this site
    Last edited by Agent John Bishop; 01-08-2015 at 07:12 PM.

BANNED

I'm so excited about Brian Wood's upcoming Vikings comic!

There! Comprehensive guide is up. Also, anyone notice that Image is starting to grab DC talent as well as Marvel talent. Snyder is a big catch and it seems odd that BKV and Cliff Chiang re-team for a book at Image instead of Vertigo.

Thank you very much for putting this thread together. Worked all day today and have so much catching up to do with the Expo. Didn't want to have to jump all over the place looking for what was announced!

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Thank you very much for putting this thread together. Worked all day today and have so much catching up to do with the Expo. Didn't want to have to jump all over the place looking for what was announced!
    Aw, I am so glad someone was helped by it. I was in the same boat, and I was getting really stressed out trying to keep up with it all.

Great thread! Image really need to market this stuff better, the list article on their website is really annoyingly laid out. I found this link which lists all the announcements plus artwork and links to interviews etc.: http://comicsalliance.com/image-expo...announcements/

The following I'll surely get, no clue how to pay for them all yet though...

- Island: So this looks amazing right?! That line up!! Love a good anthology. Plus the return of my favourite series Multiple Warheads so I'm already on board. Also this explains what Emma Rios was doing besides issues for 8House and Hexed covers that caused the long wait for Pretty Deadly's return.
    - 8House: Been excited for this for a while now. Still looks great, and it starts in April already! Hype train choo-choo! Plus From Under Mountains is running alongside this.
    - Pretty Deadly: Volume 2 is set during WW1? Sure thing, bring it on.
    - Paper Girls: Really like the sound of this, wonder if this'll mark Chiang permanently moving to Image? He did work in some of the recent Vertigo anthologies so probably not.

Then a whole bunch of others sound intriguing to me right now, but not sure yet.
    - I've shamefully never read any Darwyn Cooke, but Revengeance is a really dumb title. It'll probably be quality though! Great cover.
    - Kaptara... Eh, it'll be funny for sure. Wait and see here, I'm reading a LOT of sci-fi already.
    - We Stand Guard doesn't sound up my alley, but it's BKV... It'll be good...
    - Also I like the sound of Snyder/Lemire on A.D. After Death, Lemire's gonna be busy isn't he?
    - That No Mercy series sounds like it could bring some biting satire, not too hot on the art though.
    - Just wanna note that RunLoveKill has a Tron:Uprising storyboarder on art. It'll look flashy!
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Out of all the announcements, there are a couple i know i'll be picking up:
    We Stand On Guard is a mini so that's easier to commit, plus it's Steve Skroce returning to comics. How could i miss that?
    And Monstress. Nice to see Marjorie Liu writing comics again and Sana Takeda on art seals the deal.

On the maybe's (because of budgetary restrains), the ones that piqued my interest are Heaven, Starve, I Hate Fairyland (probably on trade) and Paper Girls, but i want to see more first.

Sadly, i don't think i'll return for Pretty Deadly as things are shaping up, again mostly for budgetary reasons. I liked it a lot, although it was quite different than what i was expecting, but it also kinda felt the story was finished and done with the previous issues. I'll have to wait and see how it fits with the rest of my pull list.

Looking forward to see Image announcing a Simon Spurrier project in the future though. I'd love to see what a creator owned project from him would look like.
    Last edited by Fifolet; 01-09-2015 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Great thread! Image really need to market this stuff better, the list article on their website is really annoyingly laid out. I found this link which lists all the announcements plus artwork and links to interviews etc.: http://comicsalliance.com/image-expo...announcements/

The following I'll surely get, no clue how to pay for them all yet though...

- Island: So this looks amazing right?! That line up!! Love a good anthology. Plus the return of my favourite series Multiple Warheads so I'm already on board. Also this explains what Emma Rios was doing besides issues for 8House and Hexed covers that caused the long wait for Pretty Deadly's return.
    - 8House: Been excited for this for a while now. Still looks great, and it starts in April already! Hype train choo-choo! Plus From Under Mountains is running alongside this.
    Thanks for the link! Also, I just have to agree that those two titles sound specifically amazing. I really like Brandon Graham as a creator and I am extremely sad to see Prophet ending since it has brought me more joy than any other comic of recent memory. It's nice to see he's continuing to do really creative projects that involve all of his indie friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent John Bishop View Post
    Thanks for the link! Also, I just have to agree that those two titles sound specifically amazing. I really like Brandon Graham as a creator and I am extremely sad to see Prophet ending since it has brought me more joy than any other comic of recent memory. It's nice to see he's continuing to do really creative projects that involve all of his indie friends.
    Yeah partially agreed, but it's also cool to see Prophet get a proper ending. I've never liked series that drag on forever. Better to end on a high note than risk it slowly losing steam and petering out... Anyway the way I see it, the 2 Graham titles on my pull list (Multiple Warheads which has been on hiatus for a while, and Prophet) are getting replaced by Island (which features more Multiple Warheads!!) and 8House so that's pretty exciting. Plus the Churchland/Gibson/Leong series From Under Mountains is gonna be launching as well. Graham keeps good company!
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!