Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Yes, the one month and a half or sometime two months, we have to wait for the next issue is awful for an amazing slow passing comics such as Uber. That's why it's great to spend that time talking about it with fellow readers.

Germany's pretty much lost the war, they're only extending the bloodshed which is catastrophic to every country involved in the war and probably will be for the one who aren't yet. They could even be lucky enough to get another Battleship potential (most country never stopped screening or catalyst production).

Also the Rivers's brothers Heavy Cruiser build may not be a big disadvantage as we think, I'm not sure if the fake Battleship at Calais were Heavy Cruiser with a 9:9 build but they were holding their own against leah and survived a direct hit from Sieglinde halo.

The allies situation is almost FUBAR, there is still Tamara, the new Battleship potential that is currently being activated in Italy but she's just a kid. The American top 3 ubers have a chance to gain experience fighting the Japanese Battleship that will be of use against Germany's last Battleship, the only one capable of moving on his own, crippled Siegmund .

Turing is a boss! My guess is, he will continue to decipher the codex and get a deeper understanding of the enhancement process to maybe find alternative more effective builds.

Since Maria, and later Leah surviving without oxygen. I thought the enhanced body would definitively respond to a lack of catalyst. Since its major survival function are dialed to 11, the body will adapt somehow to survive and find a way to fulfil its need and the Halo is a big part of that. The USSR will have more Battleship and high load potential very soon, damn this comic is so exciting!

I love the Zephyr the fact that they're incapable of speech remind us of the cons of the enhanced physiology, they probably experience things so differently than even the most powerful enhanced. I don't have the last page where Gillen usually talk, could send them to me please? I'd like to read what he said.

On a final note, I'm waiting to see what General Patton is going to do in Italy.
    Last edited by Moeru; 10-04-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Spectacular Member

On a final note, I'm waiting to see what General Patton is going to do in Italy.
    Apparently, he does well enough.

That said, I wasn't expecting them to activate the girl though I shouldn't be surprised they risked it anyway. What's the use of future battleship when you need one now?

My questions are whether her transformation was just physical by giving her a bigger body or did she aged up too, making her equal in both strength and halo to adult people? Does it work the same way on people with less potential?

One subject that wasn't recently mentioned is how big is a Nazis pool of Uber potentials at the moment. Is it big enough that the bigger issue is how quickly they can be transformed? Or they have resources for more, but not enough people? Once Russia attack with their much bigger army, activating their children, especially these more potential since the Communist don't have the technology only Maria's crazy methods, could be their only way to stop them.
    Last edited by Celestin; 11-10-2017 at 09:54 AM.

I think the thing that stood out most to me (other than the "Throw Churchill at them" bit) was the fact that Churchill outright tanked a full-on hit from Sieglinde. I think that is the first time we have seen anyone ignore a full halo strike like that. And the thing about the leg.... Churchill's problem is she is literally too durable to bend her joints.

....Now I'm imagining Leah going around with a belt and a big chain connected to it, and a team of guys whose sole job is to swing her into enemy formations....

A massive size increase is the first thing to occur when building a battleship, so Tamara shooting up is not unusual (and I think they implied Tamara being on the high-end for battleships, too). I do not think physical maturity matters when determining the strength of halo power (physical strength, maybe, but there are ways around that). The question is what she is being built as. It is implied they either figured out how to avoid Leah's issue, or.... she's going to be a mixed type. So the question is what will be the mix?

Also, a prediction for the end (other than Sieglinde being the only German Battleship to survive, much to her confusion and dismay): Maria is going to survive the entire war, and end up being a modern Baba Yaga in Russia.
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

I just re-read the first series and then the 9 issues of Uber Invasion and I got to say that this is my favorite comic currently being published. I'm loving all of the action in the past few issues, especially Leah's battle with the Germans in the Alps and the introduction of the Zephyrs and their battle with Siegfriend. It's all very unique and I'm glad that my comic shop stocks Avatar comics (not all of them in Seattle do) otherwise I may have missed this series.

That being said, my local comic shop in Seattle (Zanadu) is closing down at the end of January so I'm going to have to mail order future Ubers if I want to get them - and I do. Does anyone have any reccomendations on what comic service I should use? I'd rather have the hard copies since that is what I'm use to.

Mighty Member

I gave up reading this series when Gillen spent a few months wallowing in Avatar Press style shock-value. But, I still pick it up from time to time.

My questions are whether her transformation was just physical by giving her a bigger body or did she aged up too, making her equal in both strength and halo to adult people? Does it work the same way on people with less potential?
    For the amount of thought that Gillen has put in to the over-all series, I would imagine that the age of an enhanced human would be a variable, with abilities and side-effects changing over time. (Correct me if I am wrong, but Gillen specified the ages of the early battleships, which implies that age was on his list of checkables.) And, Gillen is writing the commanders as generally treating certain troops to be disposable, which may also come in to play with the newest Allied enhanced human. (Churchill even describes the Commanders as "racist".)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Mighty Member

The latest issue is out this week.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

Spectacular Member

After reading the 10th issue's notes from Gillen, I suspect that the next issue will be the end of the America Invasion with things moving back to Europe for the rest of the series. The only question is what will be the price for the US for this victory? Razor probably won't survive, most likely sacrificing himself to keep Siegmund within the rage of the nuke's blast. Before she was injured I wanted Sieglinde to be his last opponent, but it's not a bad way to go in this series.

I suspect that one of the brothers will too end up unable to fight before they manage to defeat the Japanese battleship. While, from what Stephanie said in this issue, it is possible to reactivate the process of the enhancing, it probably will take months, leaving the US with only one 18-Uber at the moment.

With Nazis having only one injured battleship against three other battleships in the Europe (though none fully useful in the battle for various reasons), I expect them to have at least one more surprise ready. Maybe another battleship they managed to produce or another version of Uber.

Mighty Member

The series is coming up on the 5 year mark, which is close to the upper limit that Gillen set for "Uber" when it first launched. I am expecting some kind of end-game scenario, and a reveal of who the "narrator" is. (My guess is that it is either Stephanie, Cohen or Guderian. Maybe, and this is a long-shot, Siegmunde, using his real name.)

Mighty Member

Based on the most recent issue, the series is most likely winding down in the next year.

spoilers:

Siegmund surrendered. Guderian committed suicide, immediately after clearing his troops to surrender. Gillen's notes specify that there is another year left for the series.

end of spoilers

Next in-story year. Not certain how many books that will be, but probably about a real year's worth. Makes sense - Germany has suffered major losses and has no way to shorten a production bottleneck. Meanwhile, the US and Russia are only just starting their production, and with significantly higher populations. Also, Germany has provided numerous "field tests" of enhanced humans and what happens with a war setting. The US and Russia have a good guide book now.

To say nothing of the bomb.
    ---

Sincerely,

Mighty Member

True. It looks like "Uber" will be wrapping up on the longer end of the range that Gillen predicted at the start.

Razor saving Siegmund was a little to much of a cliche. Gillen could have written the scene without Razor acting like a Silver Age character. (Now...I sort of want Razor to die horribly.) But, it is a nice touch that Siegmund did not just go with the cliche, and assumed that Razor was attacking him.

Not sure how Gillen is going to resolve Russia. Russia has at least 1 (likely 2) catalyst-makers (Katayusha and another character whose name I cannot recall).

Honestly, I think Razor acted the way he did because he really had no time to try and explain, and fell back on general heroics and prayed Siegmund would play along. Safe to say that no one expected a battleship dissertion/surrender, especially not in the middle of what appeared to be a full assault. Somewhat highlighted the fact that sudden drastic changes in warfare were still occurring, and that no one was quite certain what to do. Afterall, how would you hold a prisoner like Siegmund?

Not expecting Razor to die horribly, but he may never fully activate now, and I imagine he is going to spend the rest of his life missing that arm and with his back torn up and irradiated. Maybe Razor and Sieglinde and maybe Churchill can hang out in a "horribly maimed but somehow still alive" club.

Not certain Russia is going to be resolved. The new catalyst maker is probably going to be the new face of their enhanced humans projects, and I expect that Russia will stick with the tried-but-true method of using numbers and time to eventually take out Germany, much like it happened in the real world. So Cold War with Ubers as the main component instead. I expect that Maria's going to be one of the big roadblocks preventing direct attacks on Russia - no one quite knowing where she is, so she could counter-strike anywhere. Meanwhile Russia will hide the fact that it has basically no control over her and she's wandering the countryside willy-nilly.

Not certain how the Pacific Theatre will end up going, though. Japan has the potential to come out of this still a power. On the other hand, if the Chinese get ahold of enough catalyst.... well, I can see a new Imperial China being set up.

EDIT: I do wonder about Germany trying to deploy that weird monster/merged Uber from way back in the first year. The one living in the area I presume Germany found the info and original catalyst, and performed their first experiments.
    ---

Sincerely,

Mighty Member

The general heroics are the problem. That crap is tiresome from the big two. Avoiding it is one of the few things that Avatar Press should be able to do well. It is a dumb cliche that comics should have moved past years ago.

There are any number of ways that they could have had the big Nazi survive long enough to surrender...that would not have involved using one of the industry's most tired cliches.

Keep in mind, the series is fast approaching the high end of the longevity Gillen assumed when it started 5 years ago. As much as I would like to see the ideas of "Uber" applied to the Cold War (albeit without some of the lower pitches that Avatar is known for), if it is not announced by q3 of this year, I doubt that it will happen

In narrative terms, Gillen needs to wrap up Russia (Katayusha et al), Japan and the ruins of Europe.
    Last edited by CentralPower; 03-10-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Mighty Member

Issue 12 was a mixed bag. There were a few moments of definite brilliance. But, Gillen's handling of Marcus (Siegfried) touches of one of the more problematic aspects of "Uber", Gillen being too willing to make the Germans sympathetic. At this point, all but one of Gillen's significant fictional Nazis have been made sympathetic on some level. (Sankt is the one exception.) Gillen's variants of historic Nazis (aside from his cartoonish Mengele) are generally well handled. But, he flirts too heavily with the "nice German" idea in places.

Question for people who have been reading the series: What happened to the decoys of Sieglinde and Siegmund that were introduced during the first series? (The decoys were incomplete battleships, deployed to hide the injuries suffered by their namesakes.)