Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

I've been reading the new post but couldn't find anything worth to reply as you/we usually dissect every issue pretty well and tbh, there isn't a lot to dissect in the last few issues and with the end of the war approaching.

Issue 9 was amazing! General Patton is becoming my favorite character behind Maria. I look forward to go back to Russia and see what had happened to the camp trainee. The war is almost over but then the German still have a plan to maybe unleash Götterdämmerung (Twilight of the Gods) essentialy Ragnarok with the Uber as the Gods?

Siegfried was 14 year old and Tamara is 13. The Activation process naturally make the subject shoot through puberty without any ill side effect and essentially give them fully mature body as shown with Siegfried. But what about their mental function, do they retain their child like persona but reach psychological maturity? What happen if the subject is younger?

Siegmund defection was something I totally expected to happen but not at Razor expense. I hope the US develop Halo based chirurgical treatment ASAP or maybe they've already done it on the side? The narrative is so focused on how to stop the Invasion that we haven't been shown what happen to injured or disabled Uber and how they're treated. I'm sure this is something Gillen reserve for the very end of the War. I really don't want this comic to end and would love for it to continue after the war with a faster publication. I hope it will not leave some loose end and the Enhanced Human technology will fully explained or discovered.

Speaking of Halo Surgeon. The Halo effect facial remodeling don't seem to last or Scheele isn't powerful enough for it to be permanent without side effect. Also Scheele, the poor girl have a grim future ahead of herself, she may see the end of the war to only live as a cripple. We saw the Nazi's cruelty on a large scale with the Great Burn, we see it happening again this time from the inside. Nobody is safe.

Melchior, you're right about Maria but if the event don't follow your scenario trying to get rid of Maria may become Russia downfall. They're desperate to produce more Uber and control the mean of catalyst production so if Olesya (the new catalyst maker) isn't able to kill Maria and I don't think she will, Katyusha may become like you've said the modern Baba Yaga and decide to take some head in Moscou.

Tamara is certainly on the high-end battleships curve, she was born from 2 catalyst positive after all (Her mom had a Tank men potential and her father a Destroyer). Now is not the time for experiment, they must build at least a few fully activated and stable 12/12 Battleships before trying new mix with candidate of that potential.

We're in early January judging by the estimation General Groves give, we can assume the time needed to screen out, find Battleship potentials and ship them in secure location would take weeks given the state of the country and all the logistic involved to secure intel and shipments. By mid to end January, they could round up a few candidates of multiple classes of Uber and one month from then, Battleship candidates.

It take 23 days at 1 activation a day (First and second activation happen the same day) to produce a Battleship then around 60 days of maturation that's 84 days. Then add 2 weeks of training and we're in June, add the fact that it's very unlikely they'll find all potential Battleship at the same time, their development period will be off by weeks. So yeah, no Battleships unit until Summer to early Autumn BUT it can be sooner than that! It's about damn time the good guys get lucky.

For Battleship Zero, I got the idea that they want to use Sieglinde to dig up a tunnel to the east to invade Russia so they must kill it first. But I like you're idea, that would be a decisive element of surprise if they find a way to contain it that is....

CentralPower, I don't find the portrayal of Nazi sympathetic at all but more neutral in a War setting, just a side trying not to lose and not portrayed as the usual cliché big bag ultra vilain that is usually done with the WWII context. We don't focus on the deeds (that we already know) but on the military aspect of the war itself and the R&D around Enhanced Human technology. Gillen made it very clear: the Nazi lose in the end, he would not feed us thing we already know from real life history and Uber is not black and white. Sankt and Scheele were sympathetic, Claudia too; But the rest are just pure evil Nazi bastard.

Hahahaha what happened to the decoys? HMH Churchill (Leah) teared them appart in Issue 9 with the Fastball Special. Uwe Gunther (the guy) survived the encounter and became a prisoner of war and live now as a limbless torso and Elke Gutrune is probably dead as Leah tore off most of her torso up to the rib cage and threw her at Sieglinde, with her guts and most vital organs gone there is very little chance she survived.
    Last edited by Moeru; 10-13-2018 at 04:50 AM.

Mighty Member

Issue 9 was amazing! General Patton is becoming my favorite character behind Maria. I look forward to go back to Russia and see what had happened to the camp trainee. The war is almost over but then the German still have a plan to maybe unleash Götterdämmerung (Twilight of the Gods) essentialy Ragnarok with the Uber as the Gods?
    Early issues (including the Free Comic Book Day issue from 2015) imply that the series will end badly for everybody, human or enhanced, regardless of country.

Siegfried was 14 year old and Tamara is 13. The Activation process naturally make the subject shoot through puberty without any ill side effect and essentially give them fully mature body as shown with Siegfried. But what about their mental function, do they retain their child like persona but reach psychological maturity? What happen if the subject is younger?
    I think that Siegfried being 14 is supposed to be the explanation for him being such a royal *******. (Think of it as similar to pre-"Death in the Family" Jason Todd in "Batman". The character was an arse because he was a correctly written teenager.)

Siegmund defection was something I totally expected to happen but not at Razor expense. I hope the US develop Halo based chirurgical treatment ASAP or maybe they've already done it on the side?
    We have seen hints of halo-based medicine with Sheele re-shaping Goebbels and Siegmund killing Hitler. (Gillen presents technology as morally neutral. If a heart can be sabotaged using a halo, it can be repaired.) Of course, Goebbels' face blisters are a likely indication that halo-based medicine is limited.

I did not expect Siegmund to defect until recently (after the Zephyr troops killed Siegfried). Before that, I had assumed that killing Hitler was the extent of his rebelling.

Sankt and Scheele were sympathetic, Claudia too; But the rest are just pure evil Nazi bastard.
    I disagree about Sankt. He is not portrayed as sympathetic. But, he is the only fictional Nazi that I would say that about. Markus (Siegfried) being so young arguably makes him sympathetic. (I would not mourn him. But, I do not think that was Gillen's intention.)

Hahahaha what happened to the decoys?
    I flipped through that issue in the store, but I did not realize that those were the decoys. (And, yes, I too chuckled at the idea of launching Cohen (Churchill) at the German line.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Mighty Member

The most recent issue shipped this week. It is sitting in my pull-file until pay day.

-late edit: Have read "Uber Invasion #13"

This is the only series where I actually like narration boxes. Gillen's description of Maria Katayusha is more whimsical than the typical narration for "Uber". But, given how morbidly cute Maria has consistently been written, this is not completely out of bounds.

The description of the Allied speeder troops seems to contradict the way they were described in their debut. But, this might be a question of an unreliable narrator.

Gillen spends a little too much time virtue signalling about Brexit in the end-notes.
    Last edited by CentralPower; 05-07-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

Mighty Member

The most recent issue has the US and Soviets teaming up against Germany and Japan.

Disappointingly, there is no back-matter from Gillen.

All-New Member

Not a huge fan of the current story, but the history teacher in me LOVES the Propaganda Poster covers, so I've been all-in on this run.

Mighty Member

The first 6 months (maybe year) of "Uber" was brilliant. But, it never quite recovered from the "this is an Avatar Press series" phase. Gillen's confused explanation for how the Allied speed troops work is definitely a point against the over-all series.

But, it still has its moments, such as Marcus' death. (Everybody who loves comics should read it, and understand how much Gillen put in to it.)

Spectacular Member

Since Uber: Invasion is going to have 21 issue, with today's 15th issue, it's only 6 more before it ends.

Spoilers for today's issue.

Is there something more going on with Maria or her sparing of the other battleships is just another of her oddities? I suspect she's not just crazy, but rather she somehow gained an answer to the question that everybody should be asking themselves from the beginning - for what purpose the author/authors of the Codex wrote it?

Today, I mourn one of my favorite character... Maria Andreevna "Katyusha"

She evolved a lot in the past few months, thinking of the future and how to rebuild her nation, being seemingly able to telepathically learn English and the Yamato's name.

I think you're on something Celestin, she always gave the impression of seeing the bigger picture. Maria was a kind women who thought of the un-enhanced population safety and well being. She only had fun with the "God Queen" attitude but her enigmatic and stupid persona rub people the wrong way, especially the fact that she was uncontrollable. So I see her sparring the other battleships as a way to give the enemies country a chance to survive the post-human era that will begun after the war. Any country without a Battleship Deterrent is susceptible to be invaded and have their population wiped out in the process.

We knew it would come to this, but It's strange that she didn't retaliate. If they don't pulverize her body, Maria can potentially heal herself with the distortion halo but I wont hold my breath, because Uber isn't that kind of comic.

At best: she's dead. Worst case scenario: she stay alive in that decrepit state like Colossus did and they throw her in a dark storage room.

There is a huge chance for the later to happen as it was foreshadowed by Razor.

I hope we won't have any hiatus for the next 5 months so that Uber will be over in January. I really hope the last couple of issues tie up lose end, explain a lot of stuff and that the story doesn't just conclude at the end of the war but dive deeper on the Codex, enhanced physiology and their impact in a post war era.

TV trope said it best: "Picture the final scene of the series: the first Uber President of the United States, his eyes glowing a deadly blue as he takes the oath..."
    Last edited by Moeru; 10-13-2018 at 04:09 AM.

Spectacular Member

Uber is sometimes monthly, sometimes bi-monthly these days. I asked Gillen how far he's with the series and by the end of June the 17th was done, but Daniel Gete was taking a break for summer vacation and will start working again in August. Given that he needs about 6 weeks to do an issue, he will probably finish the series in the February 2019. Unusually, ComiXology has the next issue for the pre-order and it's going to be published on the 3 October 2018. This is how it's advertised:

Maria is just not to be messed with, and soon they will all learn the hard way!

How do you communicate with Gillen? I'd like to ask him if he have plan to give in depth explanation like I said earlier, because 6 issues seams kinda short. Maybe in a guidebook or an edited version of his bible.

Spectacular Member

'Ask me anything' on his blog. Not sure how many questions he gets compared to how many he actually answers, but most of my own did get a response, even if I waited some time for it.

I did ask few moths ago, if there will be more about the Codex, like who wrote it and that question he didn't gave any answer to.

Mighty Member

Can you ask him why there has been no back-matter for the last two issues?

Is there something more going on with Maria or her sparing of the other battleships is just another of her oddities? I suspect she's not just crazy, but rather she somehow gained an answer to the question that everybody should be asking themselves from the beginning - for what purpose the author/authors of the Codex wrote it?
    Maria is also able to speak across languages.

Her mercy is not just towards enhanced humans. She only attacks when attacked or harassed.

We should have our answers to the other questions by the end of the year though.

Issue 16 is out!

We know why we didn't have any newsletter in the previous issues. The issue feel empty without them, they're like post credit scenes. Anyways!

Is Maria's healing factor tied to the Distortion Halo or she just used an illusion to appear as dead, given the potential of this thing and the fact it can be refined, she have serious room to grow. Right now, she have the raw power but not yet the surgical precision. If she train, she could be able to create anything complex as long as she understand how it's made. And I hypothesize that it could be easier and faster to build something while providing raw material to the halo, instead of wasting time and energy assembling entire atomic/molecular structure from "scratch" (air molecules etc). She regrew the flesh and connective tissues on Leah's leg based on her built. The new legs look more fitting for her body than the other one but he difference cause her to limp. Again it shows that Leah activation wasn't complete and needed to go through that growing pain phase.

After allowing Stalin to make the first move, Maria retaliated with extreme prejudice and it was beautiful. Her psyche was probably broken before Templehof, and she become cynical with a psychotic airhead attitude. Her activation gave her new perspectives because now she had the power to change things. We can draw the comparaison with Moïse's time atop Mount Sinai from Maria's arc. Spending enough time alone in the wilderness will make anyone reflect and change on a deeper level. She as ̶n̶o̶w̶ completely embarrassed her status of a man made deity and will act as such, because she is capable of feats the common people and even the enhanced may refer as godlike. She will be a protector and beneficial goddess.

All hail Maria! Glory to Mother Russia.
    Last edited by Moeru; 10-13-2018 at 05:17 AM.

Mighty Member

I flipped through this week's issue. (Waiting until pay day to actually buy anything. And, I will probably not have time to read much until sometime next week.)

My first thought was "that guy on CBR will be happy to see Maria back", and chuckled at Gillen's continued ability to make Maria morbidly adorable.

It is good to see Gillen's end-notes are back.

Spectacular Member

I'm rather surprised that the 17th issue available on ComiXology since it's less than a month since the last one. My only complain is that I was waiting for some twist before the battle was finished, but I suppose sometimes plans really work exactly as planned.