Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Spencer's "Ant-Man" Faces New Challenges as a Superhero Single Dad

"Ant-Man" writer Nick Spencer tells CBR about the struggles Scott Lang will encounter as a hero and father now that his daughter Cassie has returned.

Full article here.

2015's Knock Out Solo, ladies and gentlemen.

Who'da thunk.

Spectacular Member

Using the Slug (Ulysses X. Lugman) as either a villain or supporting character for this series is a no-brainer. He used to be Miami's Kingpin of Crime, and also had recent run-ins with former Ant-Man Hank Pym.

It'd also be nice to see the return of Cuban characters like Poison (Cecilia Cardinale) and the Santerians.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    2015's Knock Out Solo, ladies and gentlemen.

Who'da thunk.
    Maybe a bit too premature to call it that but it's certainly a contender with a promising debut issue.

Regardless, liked this interview a lot. This should be a fun series.

HYPERBOLE 4-Evah and Always --NEVER ENDING!

BANNED

I'm surprised no ask about the Adult Avengers in this series yet. I mean for all that "Once an Avenger..." Mantra is dead in this day and age.

Amazing Member

Loved the 1st issue. Avengers #181 was one my first comics I read as a kid. Then I read about him again in that issue where he and Hawkeye team up (Avengers #223?) against Taskmaster (I believe). Haven't read that story in many years but as a kid I loved it. Always liked Lang as Ant-Man. Thought Pym was over the Ant-man thing (and he just had his fall from grace as Yellowjacket but thankfully that lead him to my favorite rendition of the character Dr. Pym).

Anyways, as a 39 year old I relate even more to him now. I've been divorced and was a single dad for a while until I get remarried. (And I live close to Miami ). Looking forward to this series!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I never really liked Heinberg's reason for killing Cassie Lang off in Chidren's Crusade. He felt that someone had to pay the price for Scott being brought back from the dead. I can't understand why there needed to be some kind of balancing of the scales. It was short sighted because it was Scott Lang's hook for being different from other superheroes. I guess it shows that Marvel didn't anticipate the movie factor. We've also gone past the point in even believing that any of these deaths are permanent.

Plus it gets Doom off the hook, even though I never agreed with Spencer characterizing it as "cold blooded murder". She was a casualty in that melee where everyone was tossing around blasts, etc. It's almost miraculous that it doesn't happen more often with lower tier heroes that aren't uber powerful like Thor or armored up like Stark.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-09-2015 at 09:10 AM.

I'm also happy that Peggy is getting a balance. I completely agree, she has been constantly inconsistent. Geoff Johns even admitted he wanted to move Peggy away from nag to caring mother but he wanted to parallel that the difference between Scott as a super hero and Peggy's new husband, Blake as a New York City detective weren't that different from each other. Instead once Johns left Avengers, you have this reason to kill Scott to push Cassie into Stature's identity but Blake and Peggy came off as: "Super heroes, bad!" It took Cassie almost killing Blake battling the Growing Man for Blake and Peggy to wake up and realize that superheroes were a good thing. Plus, in this day and age with public identities like with Scott. Cops are getting looked up by known gang members and being attacked in the streets.
    Divorce couples can be written and shown to have the best interests for their kids and not always but heads, sadly in entertainment, one parents has to be good and the other bad. I hate that, my parents were divorced and they rarely came to blows growing and then it disappeared after both of them remarried and had my siblings.
    Mooper Films

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

The one thing the interview told me was how Cassie came back. I'm a trade waiter on "events" so I've not read AXIS and that is where the resurrection happened.

I enjoyed the first issue though. The only gripe is that if Lang was really trying to prove, to himself if no one else, that he's looking to not look like a flake. You know "make things stick", he at least should've told Stark he had to suddenly relocate to Miami for family reasons out of his control. That's my only nit pick with the issue.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member Sad Superman's Avatar

Hell of a first issue. I'm definitely sticking with this book

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I really liked the first issue, and I always get unreasonably excited when a character moves to a non-NYC city, so I'm all in for this series.

Extraordinary Member

Spencer is a good writer, this is promising.

Great interview, I'm glad Nick addressed some of the lingering questions pertaining to Cassie...

I'm ready to sit back and enjoy the ride, this is going to be an amazing run...
    #MagnetoWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloCreed!(The One and Only) View Post
    Great interview, I'm glad Nick addressed some of the lingering questions pertaining to Cassie...

I'm ready to sit back and enjoy the ride, this is going to be an amazing run...
    It would be really great if -- since her old YA buddies won't be cameo'ing any time soon -- if Cassie spoke OF them or maybe mentions exchanging texts with Kate or Billy or Teddy or skyping them -- or even telling dear old Dad she isn't READY to reach out to them. That actually might be preferable reason for not involving them sooner.