Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I keep tring to find Morrisons version of Swamp Thing by Alan Moore, nevermind his Watchmen, just a huge character defining run. It has to be Batman? I am halfway through Inc. and the absolute is gorgeous. State of the art superhero comics, that's what I love about Morrison.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 02-25-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Man I've been waiting forever for this to reread Morrison's full run, I just wanted it to come out as a deluxe vol 2 hard copy. Not sure if I should just bite the bullet and buy this absolute or wait for a deluxe vol. 2 that may never come out.
    Formerly known as YMCMB

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I keep tring to find Morrisons version of Swamp Thing by Alan Moore, nevermind his Watchmen, just a huge character defining run. It has to be Batman? I am halfway through Inc. and the absolute is gorgeous. State of the art superhero comics, that's what I love about Morrison.
    Morrison's Animal Man or Doom Patrol is probably closer to Moore's Swamp Thing run, in terms of redefining a character/book.

But, I'm glad, really, if Morrison doesn't have "a Watchmen." The Invisibles or Vimanarama beat the hell out of Watchmen.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Spectacular Member

So is this edition worth the insane cost/size? I loved Grant Morrison's run and wouldn't normally buy an absolute edition but those redrawn pages (as well as amazing alterations like that flashback) really tempt me. For what's worth I generally really loved the Inc portion of Morrison's run, even if I felt it was unavoidably damaged by the reboot, hampered by mixed fill in art and kind of ended on a slightly miserable anticlimax.

Do we know if there are any cool extras in this? I think the pre-52 Batman Inc trade has commentary from Morrison, does this version have stuff like that?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I don't normally buy Absolutes (too big for my tastes), but Absolute Inc is worth it IF you're impatient (like I was!). DC may Deluxe or otherwise put the Absolute version in a smaller trade, but we just don't know and none is solicited yet, so you have to choose: Not wait (Absolute) or wait. Can't recall the extras too well...nothing too special like commentary as far as I recall.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member Miraclo__Pill's Avatar

I got the joke you just made and it take me back several years to another boards that were beyond crazies. I can't stop laughing about it. Good times!!!
    http://grafikarobotnik.tumblr.com/

I survived the 2014 reboot and I didn't even got a lousy t-shirt.

Spectacular Member

Looks good, but aaaaah...I was hoping with the way things were initially phrased in that article that art/writing was edited so it was basically pre-Flashpoint, with panels added/altered to feature Steph/Cass/Selena and old costumes...oh well.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I really wanted to buy this at some point, but I'm gonna hold out hope that the just do a deluxe version of Inc, Volume 2 with all of Burnham's Art since I already own Deluxe Inc, Volume 1.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    I really wanted to buy this at some point, but I'm gonna hold out hope that the just do a deluxe version of Inc, Volume 2 with all of Burnham's Art since I already own Deluxe Inc, Volume 1.
    I just hope, like Final Crisis, they do a New Edition standard trade paperback at some point with the new pages! I'll happily rebuy, but going Deluxe or Absolute is a bit rich for my blood!

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I just hope, like Final Crisis, they do a New Edition standard trade paperback at some point with the new pages! I'll happily rebuy, but going Deluxe or Absolute is a bit rich for my blood!
    I'd be fine with this, too. I just want those damn pages! The fill in art from the run was putrid.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Amazing Member

I hope they release either a complete Batman Inc. omnibus in softcover, or at least a one-volume of the New 52 issues with the redrawn/recolored pages.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miraclo__Pills View Post
    I got the joke you just made and it take me back several years to another boards that were beyond crazies. I can't stop laughing about it. Good times!!!
    Has Grant reinvented how we see Comics? That seems to be what Watchmen did. Anyways, I enjoy many of Morrison's books as much as Watchmen.

Animal man as Morrisons Swamp Thing? Maybe, this Batman run is really something though.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Has Grant reinvented how we see Comics? That seems to be what Watchmen did.
    I don't think Watchmen did that for everyone. I doubt too much of the non-English-reading world even cared so much when it came out.

It was a watershed moment in American comics, yes. An important event in American superhero comics. It wasn't that important. But, then, I don't think it's very appealing and it came out when I was like six and I first read it at like eight or nine, so, some of that's on me and my taste.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I was going to make a redundant comment about how great Inc was etcetera, instead ill comment on Morrison /Moore. Regardless of "who's better?", Morrison is just so much more LIKABLE as a person. Alan Moore's shitty attitude has ruined my opinion of him, not his work. Still i find myself wishing i hadn't read a lot of his interviews, i feel the exact opposite about Morrison. The guy gives one a lust for life through his work AND personality.

Has Grant reinvented how we see Comics? That seems to be what Watchmen did. Anyways, I enjoy many of Morrison's books as much as Watchmen.

Animal man as Morrisons Swamp Thing? Maybe, this Batman run is really something though.
    Morrison's equivalent to "Swamp Thing" is definitely "Animal Man". Morrison's Batman is amazing, but it didn't change the character the ways Morrison's Animal Man did.

As far as the debate goes; they're both amazing, but I've yet to read a Morrison work that I enjoy as much as Moore's Swamp Thing (my favorite non-batman run of all time) or Watchmen. The Invisibles is a great story, but for me, it doesn't even come close to the two I've mentioned (mostly because there's a lot of lackluster art in it).