Amazing Member

Default reading order/is it lame

I am currently reading batman comics up to the new 52. Im currently reading officer down. Well I'd like to start reading superman trades also. I want to read up to the new 52s like im doing for batman so anyone have a reading order for supes? Also, ive been leery about starting superman bc I've heard some say the storyline can be lame? This true?

The quality is shakey.

I quite enjoyed the Greg Rucka stuff, but many didn't.

I loved Camelot Falls, but not really the rest of Kurt Buseik's run - that said a lot of people seemed to really like that other Buseik stuff.

Goeff John's better stuff - Superman and the Legion of Superheros, Last Son, Braniac, Escape from Planet Bizarro are all great - the best Superman I've read in years.

The one James Robinson book I've read (The Coming of Atlas IIRC) was rubbish - and I've heard the later stuff is bad too.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

How far back are you looking to start? 1938? 1986? Or just before the New 52 began...?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by eternaldream24 View Post
    I am currently reading batman comics up to the new 52. Im currently reading officer down. Well I'd like to start reading superman trades also. I want to read up to the new 52s like im doing for batman so anyone have a reading order for supes? Also, ive been leery about starting superman bc I've heard some say the storyline can be lame? This true?
    Well, the late 90's through the 00's were a pretty bad time for Superman. There were a few bright points in those years, but they're few and far between. Even when fans dont agree on what those bright points are, its generally agreed that there are not many of them.

If you're new to the character and want to find out what he's really all about, I suggest just starting with the New52 Action Comics by Grant Morrison, and following that through to the current creative team (Pak and Kulder), which many of us here consider one of the best teams the character has had in decades.

If you absolutely want to stick with the pre-52 stuff, the best I can recommend is Geoff Johns' various story arcs. Brainiac, Last Son, Superman & The Legion of Superheroes, that's about as good as it gets. And there are still things about all of those storylines that I feel completely miss the point of Superman's character. But then, Im not a big fan of Johns' take on Superman and never have been.

There's also a number of recommendation threads floating around here you can take a look at too.

Ultimately, you're asking about one of the lowest points in the character's seventy-seven year history.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Amazing Member

I have read last son, secret origin and brainiac and i was thinking about reading legion of super heroes. I was trying to stay in the same time as the batmans and jla i'm reading as to not get confused. And in those im in the early 2000s.

I just started for all seasons and am quite enjoying it. Just trying to decide what to read after.

Thanks

If you're reading through the early 00's, I suggest Our Worlds At War. It is, in my opinion, the last good, "wide scope" Superman story. It ended in 2001, shortly before the 9/11 attacks. And you might really enjoy what comes afterwards, quality is largely subjective after all. Just be aware that its generally considered a bad era for Superman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.