All-New Member

Default B.P.R.D. Top 300 comics sales

I noticed that there was a time when B.P.R.D books were consistently selling 11,000-13,000 books a month reported through Diamond. I thought that was a great number, especially at the time of where the comic industry was 4-5 years ago. These last couple years the book has barely broken 10k and consistently sells around 8k only.

Do you think its because the book has fallen in sales, or are there uncounted digital sales happening here? Like any other fan that loves this book, I want more people discovering it, not for it to be losing sales.

Amazing Member

8k? Is that good for Dark Horse sales? That's awfully low! D:

Spectacular Member

people are afraid of large issue counts, that's why they've been putting that "starting point for new readers" banner on issues. at the end of the day, the starting point is BPRD #1, I know they need to keep sales going but it's not a Big 2 book where you just jump on when a new writer's run starts...it's a densely serialized story that should be read from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by waamblem View Post
    I noticed that there was a time when B.P.R.D books were consistently selling 11,000-13,000 books a month reported through Diamond. I thought that was a great number, especially at the time of where the comic industry was 4-5 years ago. These last couple years the book has barely broken 10k and consistently sells around 8k only.

Do you think its because the book has fallen in sales, or are there uncounted digital sales happening here? Like any other fan that loves this book, I want more people discovering it, not for it to be losing sales.
    I would think there are numerous B.P.R.D. mini-series fitting into specific cycles, which all would correlate to Hellboy / Witchfinder / LoJo etcetera.

In such a way that each title or mini-series or collection could be read on its own or next to other books as preferred by readers themselves.

If you're asking how well they'd be selling, I personally wouldn't know. As that would take investigating the sales figures per comic since its publication all the way up to now.

And I hardly ever find myself needing to know about sales figures or the comparing of them, as such would hardly be telling me much.

I like reading good stories and lush art way better than figures.

I have been getting a feeling that readerbases for any of these titles would seem pretty solid,

especially the two most recently launched Hellboy In Hell as being all written and drawn by mr Mike,

as well as the brand-spanking new title Hellboy & the B.P.R.D. being to intendedly connect the Bureau's full continuity of Hellboy's first ever

mission onto the whole of his field career as an agent.

Serving as a potential jumping-on point, yet all the earlier Hellverse books will be remaining just as good or better, depending on

any reader their preferences.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-11-2015 at 08:58 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

I'd say Some people moved on (Sadly), and Some people go for digital edition, which The diamond doesn't count.

Incredible Member

I personally stopped reading B.P.R.D (I'm planning to go back as I'm still reading other Mignolaverse titles) because/when both Abe and Liz were written out at the beginning of Hell on Earth. That was like 3-4 years ago and maybe other people lost interest for the same reason as well.

All-New Member

i know its more about sales, but in a way, as a fan... you kinda want it to maintain respectable sales as to only influence the publisher in a good way. BPRD has such a lush and deep environment. wish somebody could help generate more buzz around this title. its worth it.