Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    Yes, that's how I saw it too. I have the impression she deflected Doomsday's first attack with her right arm (it seems to me it is in contact with Doomsday's left one). And also one of its "horn, fang?" (I don't know how to call it xD) seems in contact, or seems to have already been in contact with her left arm.

I actually think it is not clear if:

1) it was going to attack her with its right arm.

2) It was going to impact against her with its body as a consequence of her avoiding its first attack.

3) It had already impacted against her after she had avoided the first attack.

The third and the first option could be both true. She avoided its left 'punch', slamming against Doomsday, it retired a bit and was going to attack with its right arm.

Okay I see what folks are saying.

To me looking at it, it seems she dodges the haymaker left. There's no evidence to show impact body to body - no force lines radiating in the art or suggestion Diana has been driven backwards.

Also, last time they fought he broke both her arms simultaneously. Logically that could only happen if her arms were in front of her, and the bones of the forearm seem to be the ones damaged. The clear implication from an anatomical perspective and Diana's fighting style is she tried to block the attack and the kinetic energy broke her arms under the bracers (which are NO LONGER the indestructible aegis forged relics of pre-flashpoint). I suppose one could say she adjusted her strategy to deflect the blow rather than just try to block it again but again, the lack of force lines makes it a dubious conclusion.

I don't see evidence of the tusk making contact, and DD is after all a good deal taller.

Ultimately though if people are saying the rendering is ambiguous that in itself makes it difficult to say this is a better showing.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Okay I see what folks are saying.

To me looking at it, it seems she dodges the haymaker left. There's no evidence to show impact body to body - no force lines radiating in the art or suggestion Diana has been driven backwards.

Also, last time they fought he broke both her arms simultaneously. Logically that could only happen if her arms were in front of her, and the bones of the forearm seem to be the ones damaged. The clear implication from an anatomical perspective and Diana's fighting style is she tried to block the attack and the kinetic energy broke her arms under the bracers (which are NO LONGER the indestructible aegis forged relics of pre-flashpoint). I suppose one could say she adjusted her strategy to deflect the blow rather than just try to block it again but again, the lack of force lines makes it a dubious conclusion.

I don't see evidence of the tusk making contact, and DD is after all a good deal taller.

Ultimately though if people are saying the rendering is ambiguous that in itself makes it difficult to say this is a better showing.
    Yeah I see what they are trying to say but it doesn't line up with the rest of the book. There is no indication of contact. There is no sound effect to show the hit made it. The sound effect made is Doomsday's yell "GRRAAA!". It's not in a word balloon because animals use sound effects rather than balloons in the DC books it seem (at least on the Superman side (see Krypto)). He looked more like a monster lifting it's arms up and showing it's teeth in a menacing manner as he goes in for the kill.

In the rest of the issue each significant hit is accompanied by a "KAKOOOOOM" or "BOOOOM". Why wasn't a similar sound effect for this page if it was a hit? Also like you point out there are no force lines or swings. Just Doomsday's poison crackling. I also agree with your last statement.

Extraordinary Member

In fairness there is no sound effect for the sword penetrating either, but I don't disagree with you.

Indeed the fact the sword strike does not get a sound effect could be used to show how much less effective it is than Superman's big hits.

There's also the fact that the wound seems to not slow him down after the blade itself has disintegrated. Is he even still bleeding with he phases out?
    Last edited by brettc1; 05-17-2014 at 07:41 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

In fairness there is no sound effect for the sword penetrating either, but I don't disagree with you.

Indeed the fact the sword strike does not get a sound effect could be used to show how much less effective it is than Superman's big hits.

There's also the fact that the wound seems to not slow him down after the blade itself has disintegrated. Is he even still bleeding with he phases out?
    The sound of the sword penetrating in its body shouldn't have been 'kaboom', ecc anyway, it was not a punch xD Anyway, it doesn't make any sound, but Doomsday seemed to have felt it since it 'yelled': "Rrargh!", and it stopped to recover. And it seems to me that when it is wounded, instead of losing blood, he emits 'poison', which is the same that Superman inhaled after he teared it apart.

About the fact that the last time Diana's arms broke and this time no there's a really simple explanation: the position in which they were when Doomsday hit her. In issue two she was on the floor, on a side, and had her arm extended. Doomsday hit them both up down. Since the position in which she was, she had no way to contrast that blunt force.

In Doomed instead she had her arms in front of her, ready for the impact.

The same blunt force has not the same effect, and doesn't make the same damage if it is applied differentely. This time the impact was different, and so was the effect.
    And for how I see it, Doomsday attacked with its left arm, she avoided it and collided against it, so it didn't even hit her like during the first fight, it was Diana who hit it after avoiding the blown, and its yell instead of being because it was ready for the attack, could simply be because it was angry its first hit had missed. The 'shards' between their bodies makes me think there had already been an impact.
    Last edited by BlackFeath; 05-18-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Extraordinary Member

The sound of the sword penetrating in its body shouldn't have been 'kaboom', ecc anyway, it was not a punch xD Anyway, it doesn't make any sound, but Doomsday seemed to have felt it since it 'yelled': "Rrargh!", and it stopped to recover. And it seems to me that when it is wounded, instead of losing blood, he emits 'poison', which is the same that Superman inhaled after he teared it apart.

About the fact that the last time Diana's arms broke and this time no there's a really simple explanation: the position in which they were when Doomsday hit her. In issue two she was on the floor, on a side, and had her arm extended. Doomsday hit them both up down. Since the position in which she was, she had no way to contrast that blunt force.

In Doomed instead she had her arms in front of her, ready for the impact.

The same blunt force has not the same effect, and doesn't make the same damage if it is applied differentely. This time the impact was different, and so was the effect.
    And for how I see it, Doomsday attacked with its left arm, she avoided it and collided against it, so it didn't even hit her like during the first fight, it was Diana who hit it after avoiding the blown, and its yell instead of being because it was ready for the attack, could simply be because it was angry its first hit had missed. The 'shards' between their bodies makes me think there had already been an impact.
    Thanks for posting these - I don't access to the books at the moment.

Based on these pics you can see it's the upper arms that took the hit, not the forearms protected by her bracers.

Hmmm.

Looking at it I can't agree the bone shards on the beasts legs had collided with her. There would have been blood where the bracers were not protecting her. On the other hand, it's entirely possible the bracers might have protected her from the attack, had it landed.

Based on the fact she drew "blood" this time, I will grant its a better showing. Not necessarily a good one though, since if her bracers are protecting her the charge it's quite possible the sweeping right hook would have ko'd her. The gist of the storytelling here is that WW is in mortal danger and was saved by Superman's arrival.

Thanks for posting these - I don't access to the books at the moment.

Based on these pics you can see it's the upper arms that took the hit, not the forearms protected by her bracers.

Hmmm.

Looking at it I can't agree the bone shards on the beasts legs had collided with her. There would have been blood where the bracers were not protecting her. On the other hand, it's entirely possible the bracers might have protected her from the attack, had it landed.

Based on the fact she drew "blood" this time, I will grant its a better showing. Not necessarily a good one though, since if her bracers are protecting her the charge it's quite possible the sweeping right hook would have ko'd her. The gist of the storytelling here is that WW is in mortal danger and was saved by Superman's arrival.
    Mortal danger seems too much. Was she in a good position? No. Would it have hurted her? Sure. How much we can't say, though, since she was in a defensive position, her bracelets up protecting her body, while in the first fight they weren't. She had been hit before by Doomsday even when she was not in the position to defend herself, and she didn’t die, nor she was ko'd, so what does this blow have of special?

She took several hits from sundipped Faora, and she and Zod said they would have needed much time to kill her and Superman...
    I don't think she would have died for that blow.

Superman arrived and prevented her from being hit? Good. I don't think she would have liked to receive it, whatever the damage would have been.

Looking at it I can't agree the bone shards on the beasts legs had collided with her. There would have been blood where the bracers were not protecting her.
    Are those bone shards so sharp?
    Last edited by BlackFeath; 05-18-2014 at 04:17 AM.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Extraordinary Member

Mortal danger seems too much. Was she in a good position? No. Would it have hurted her? Sure. How much we can't say, though, since she was in a defensive position, her bracelets up protecting her body, while in the first fight they weren't. She had been hit before by Doomsday even when she was not in the position to defend herself, and she didn’t die, nor she was ko'd, so what does this blow have of special?

She took several hits from sundipped Faora, and she and Zod said they would have needed much time to kill her and Superman...
    I don't think she would have died for that blow.

Superman arrived and prevented her from being hit? Good. I don't think she would have liked to receive it, whatever the damage would have been.

Are those bone shards so sharp?
    Well the ones on his fist penetrated her arms first time around, and I've seen the ones on his elbows stab Superman. So I'll say yes.

We don't know how DD stacks up against a solared up Kryptonian- which kind of makes you wonder why Superman stopped at Venus and didn't just fly to the sun. But don't forget it is pointed out in the issue that this version is bigger and stronger. So however hard she got hit on the ship, he is hitting harder now than when he broke both her arms with one swipe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spair View Post
    I say it did.
    Yeah, I agree, and this was the evolved Doomsday.

BANNED

There is certainly a level of at least animal cunning in play here. Doomsday retreats from Supes and Wonder Woman. It seems to recognize that together these two could present to great a threat, and is willing to bide its time.
    Plenty of animals run away when outnumbered...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    She's a "peacemaker," according to Johns, because she "has no ego." Luthor holds all the cards and has the position of power over the League. For Diana to be the "peacemaker," with "no ego" she's going to have to keep the League docile and submissive to Luthor. He's the one with all the power. They HAVE to kowtow to his needs until they can do something to get rid of him......two freaking years from now.
    I can't wait to see how Lex gets all this supposed power...
    Last edited by dupersuper; 05-19-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    I can't wait to see how Lex gets all this supposed power...
    No need to wait. Go back and read the end of Marvels Secret Invasion and then Dark Reign. Whenever you see Norman Osborne just picture him without any hair.

Incredible Member

Doomed series issues cheat sheets

http://www.comicvine.com/superman-doomed/4045-57798/