View Poll Results: Who should play as Storm in X-Men: Apocalypse?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aaliyah Alexandra Shipp

13 76.47%
  • Zendaya Coleman

4 23.53%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    You are all being disrespectful to the thread starter. He specifically said don't suggest alternatives. You have been requested to pick between these two specific actresses.
    It's ok. I understand that some people would really suggest alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJoe View Post
    I pick none of them. I want a full BLACK Woman with brown skin to play Storm. Not a bi-racial hoe. I'm tired of Hollywood doing this stuff. Storm is not Biracial or Light-skinned so they need to stop with the fuckery!
    It's funny but the same black people that say dumb shit like this will call Obama a black president. It seems biracial people are only accepted as black by some black folk when it fits the argument being made. And your use of bi-racial hoe when comparing to a full BLACK Woman is the real fuckery.

FYI, Martin Luther King was biracial (part Irish) and Rosa Parks was also biracial (part Scots-Irish and Native American). Good thing they fought for the rights of all black people and not just biracial people.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-11-2015 at 01:59 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    That's not entirely true. There has been outrage of the casting of Exodus Gods and Kings from various sources in the US and UK. It has also been banned by places like Egypt and Morocco.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/film/61550/...-kings-casting

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/exodus-ra...y-familiar-one

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5652499.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...h-9885345.html

fair enough. Thanks for the links. I am not sure if the outrage is from persons of color or not but it still is evidence of the racist attitudes, hollywood have and the continuation of europeanization of black culture.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Yip, I'm guilty of sneaking in an alternative. Sorry RLAAMJR - will try to be on my best behaviour.

*Sneaks back to the Jubes Appreciation thread.*

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beezzi View Post
    Yip, I'm guilty of sneaking in an alternative. Sorry RLAAMJR - will try to be on my best behaviour.

*Sneaks back to the Jubes Appreciation thread.*
    It's ok. I don't expect everyone to follow. Besides, giving an alternative isn't something negative to do.

Zendaya is taller, so that would most likely maker her the ideal choice for me as I think Storm of being very statuesque. On the other hand, Alexandra looks more the part because she looks more like a lady than Zendaya, who looks much younger.

This is tough, but I went with Alexandra in the end, even though it flies in the face of what I think should be one of the key attributes of Ms. Munroe.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

All-New Member

It's funny but the same black people that say dumb shit like this will call Obama a black president. It seems biracial people are only accepted as black by some black folk when it fits the argument being made. And your use of bi-racial hoe when comparing to a full BLACK Woman is the real fuckery.

FYI, Martin Luther King was biracial (part Irish) and Rosa Parks was also biracial (part Scots-Irish and Native American). Good thing they fought for the rights of all black people and not just biracial people.
    This is off topic and I know I should not respond, especially considering the fact that you were not referring to any comment I made and I cannot speak for the poster but, you have made an interesting statement. You stated that some black people do not accept biracial people (I assume you mean a person who has one black parent and a parent of some other race) unless it fits their argument. I say to you, that is not the case.

Whether black people accepted or not accepted biracial individuals is irrelevant. People with one black parent and a parent of another race are generally viewed as black because that is how society views them and they often face the same prejudices, biases, and racist mentalities. That is why a white slave owner could have a child with a black woman and that child would still be viewed as black and enslaved. That is biracial individuals such as President Obama and Halle Berry have stated they are black because they have always been treated as such and, their own words, look the part. I did not even know Halle Berry was biracial until I was in my early twenties and the same goes for President Obama. With some others, it is easier to tell so it just depends. Also, according to your definition, most black people in the Americas (North, South, Central, and the Caribbean) are biracial since most blacks have other racial heritages, especially European. I took a DNA test and discovered I am 3% European, 1% Central Asian, and 1% Native American so I could be considered biracial as well. That would also mean that many white Americans are indeed biracial.

The issue here is not whether any random black person considers a biracial person black or not but, it is why when it comes to casting roles for a black female, the only "black" person casting agents want to consider are biracial. That is a problem and the comic book realm is not exempt.
    Last edited by Tempest; 01-11-2015 at 05:08 PM.

BANNED

Well, either Zendaya or Alexandra will be fine. So what neither of them has one as oscar yet at their ages very few have won oscars. I guess they are going for women who could play younger versions of Halle Berry's Storm.

For those of you saying why are they getting a biracial woman to play Storm, blah, blah, blah, have you looked at Storm in the comics?

No dark skinned Black woman has long flowing straight hair like that (unless it's a weave), blue eyes, and many artists throughout the years have drawn her with features barely distinguishable from the white female characters. So Storm was always a Black woman with considerable white characteristics. I think there's a reason she was given an exotic African background (Kenyan and Egyptian). Can't have her tied to those ghetto Black Americans, can you? She was created in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Well, either Zendaya or Alexandra will be fine. So what neither of them has one as oscar yet at their ages very few have won oscars. I guess they are going for women who could play younger versions of Halle Berry's Storm.

For those of you saying why are they getting a biracial woman to play Storm, blah, blah, blah, have you looked at Storm in the comics?

No dark skinned Black woman has long flowing straight hair like that (unless it's a weave), blue eyes, and many artists throughout the years have drawn her with features barely distinguishable from the white female characters. So Storm was always a Black woman with considerable white characteristics. I think there's a reason she was given an exotic African background (Kenyan and Egyptian). Can't have her tied to those ghetto Black Americans, can you? She was created in the 70s.

There is so much wrong with this.

I kinda hope they cast the right person for the part rather than the right skin-toned person. But that's just me.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    This is off topic and I know I should not respond, especially considering the fact that you were not referring to any comment I made and I cannot speak for the poster but, you have made an interesting statement. You stated that some black people do not accept biracial people (I assume you mean a person who has one black parent and a parent of some other race) unless it fits their argument. I say to you, that is not the case.

Whether black people accepted or not accepted biracial individuals is irrelevant. People with one black parent and a parent of another race are generally viewed as black because that is how society views them and they often face the same prejudices, biases, and racist mentalities. That is why a white slave owner could have a child with a black woman and that child would still be viewed as black and enslaved. That is biracial individuals such as President Obama and Halle Berry have stated they are black because they have always been treated as such and, their own words, look the part. I did not even know Halle Berry was biracial until I was in my early twenties and the same goes for President Obama. With some others, it is easier to tell so it just depends. Also, according to your definition, most black people in the Americas (North, South, Central, and the Caribbean) are biracial since most blacks have other racial heritages, especially European. I took a DNA test and discovered I am 3% European, 1% Central Asian, and 1% Native American so I could be considered biracial as well. That would also mean that many white Americans are indeed biracial.

The issue here is not whether any random black person considers a biracial person black or not but, it is why when it comes to casting roles for a black female, the only "black" person casting agents want to consider are biracial. That is a problem and the comic book realm is not exempt.
    One of the biggest problems black actors and actresses face not only are they given a limited amount of roles, many of those same roles are offered/casted to biracial people.

Is this a fact?

Spectacular Member Holland Oates's Avatar

I'm not too fond of either of them, but if I had to choose, I'd go with Alexandra Shipp. Zendaya Coleman looks Hispanic/Asian. :/

Some of the actresses suggested in this thread are too old. They are casting for a teenage Storm, along with teenage Cyclops and teenage Jean. If you look up the ages of the actors up for these roles they range from 17 to 23. They're not going to cast actors in their late 20s to 30s to play these characters.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Sorry my bad forgot about it, but you really should check out Yaya Dacosta. I choose Shipp.

BANNED

Same as you think what I said is dumb I think the same shit you just said is dumb. Bringing Martin Luther King into this discussion is dumb as hell and has nothing to do with a damn comic book character!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Can't have her attached to the ghetto black americans? No dark skinned women have long flowing hair unless it's a weave?

I not sure how to even respond to this. First, being black is not a thing that just exist in the US. Go to Brazil, Ethiopia and you will find these black women who possess the hair without weaves that you speak on. Kenya Moore from Real housewives of Atlanta has long flowing hair and it's her hair (not that having something contrary to this is not Beautiful).

In terms of her history you are wrong on that as well. She is tied to the "ghetto" Black americans that you speak on as her father is African American.

Your posts is inflammatory and all types of wrong.