Page 208 of 237 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 3547
    BANNED

Btw, people; what your favorite creative teams (a top 5, maybe) of the HULK?

For writers

Pak and Mantlo stand out for me the most, though I have to say that there are a lot of great stories written by a number of different people prior to Mantlo's run.

I have to say that while I enjoy reading the PAD issues, he's definitely not my favorite. His Hulk was always kinda tame in comparison to the classic Savage Hulk or Pak's Green Scar. I prefer my Hulk to have something of the primal or primordial about him, which I never got from PAD's take.

It's subtle, but noticeable. Fixit and the Merged Hulk, while fine for what they were, always felt too grounded.

I'm leaving Ewing out, he's been doing great but it's to early to start calling it for good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Btw, people; what your favorite creative teams (a top 5, maybe) of the HULK?
    Greg Pak and Carlo Pagulayan

Peter David and Dale Keown

Len Wein and Sal Buscema

Bill Mantlo and Sal Buscema

Steve Englehart and Herb Trimpe
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 09-25-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

I'll add that Stan Lee did write some good Hulk stories in Tales to Astonish, but I don't like my Hulk slow talking and dimwitted. One of the things that Stan did define in those tales is Hulk's ability to do seemingly impossible things.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    Greg Pak and Carlo Pagulayan

Peter David and Dale Keown

Len Wein and Sal Buscema

Bill Mantlo and Sal Buscema

Steve Englehart and Herb Trimpe
    Wow, uncanny how you posted almost identical what I would of posted!
    I would also give a shout out to McFarlene and Severin as close runner's up for art I enjoyed.
    I would also add Ewing as writer (how can I not, even at this early stage).
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    For writers

Pak and Mantlo stand out for me the most, though I have to say that there are a lot of great stories written by a number of different people prior to Mantlo's run.

I have to say that while I enjoy reading the PAD issues, he's definitely not my favorite. His Hulk was always kinda tame in comparison to the classic Savage Hulk or Pak's Green Scar. I prefer my Hulk to have something of the primal or primordial about him, which I never got from PAD's take.

It's subtle, but noticeable. Fixit and the Merged Hulk, while fine for what they were, always felt too grounded.

I'm leaving Ewing out, he's been doing great but it's to early to start calling it for good or bad.
    As far as the way I like my Hulk's, you've hit the nail on the head. My problem with PAD's Hulk was that he kept finding ways to restrain him. The Hulk is a force of nature that should be almost impossible to contain, whether it's Banner or another opponent trying to do it. Hulk's struggle is always an internal and external one simultaneously. Other than that, he may still be my favorite writer. Pak's Hulk had character depth that felt classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    Wow, uncanny how you posted almost identical what I would of posted!
    I would also give a shout out to McFarlene and Severin as close runner's up for art I enjoyed.
    I would also add Ewing as writer (how can I not, even at this early stage).
    Great minds...☺

Al Ewing, If he keeps this pace will end up being my favorite. I need to see at least 12 issues before I'll claim a writer in a top category.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 09-25-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Al Ewing is great. He is the reason I am collecting this Hulk run (my first time collecting the Hulk as an ongoing). I can honestly say, I've loved all of Ewing's Marvel work (although I didn't get Loki, Agent of Asgard). He has big ideas and respects characters and the continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumdumdumdumdum View Post
    Al Ewing is great. He is the reason I am collecting this Hulk run (my first time collecting the Hulk as an ongoing). I can honestly say, I've loved all of Ewing's Marvel work (although I didn't get Loki, Agent of Asgard). He has big ideas and respects characters and the continuity.
    Al Ewing on Immortal Hulk is one of the reasons I came back in the comic book fold for all the reasons you've mentioned. The first time I really noticed his work was on Mighty Avengers. A book that did not get the recognition it deserved. I knew he would be a perfect fit as a writer on the Hulk title after I saw his portrayal of the Hulk in Avengers Ultron Forever. There was one scene that made me realize that this guy gets that Hulk is more than a man that changes into some thing that looks like a monster... he's truly monstrous!
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 09-25-2018 at 06:36 PM.

I think there's been a few changes in Bruce over the years. Most writers either tend to portray him as an emotionally withdrawn weakling as Hulk states, or as a more heroic, self-assured figure at times, a bit more like "David Banner" on the TV show. We've also had savage Banner and insane/mad scientist Banner a few times, and briefly brain-damaged Banner which led to the creation of the Doc Green persona.

One thing that's kind of universal with the persona is that whenever Bruce is 'cured' he always seems to find some subconscious urge to become the Hulk again, mainly because it's really a part of him.

adaptation-wise Bana's Hulk was pretty much the withdrawn version, while the Norton/Rufallo/MCU Hulk are pretty much the latter.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think there's been a few changes in Bruce over the years. Most writers either tend to portray him as an emotionally withdrawn weakling as Hulk states, or as a more heroic, self-assured figure at times, a bit more like "David Banner" on the TV show. We've also had savage Banner and insane/mad scientist Banner a few times, and briefly brain-damaged Banner which led to the creation of the Doc Green persona.

One thing that's kind of universal with the persona is that whenever Bruce is 'cured' he always seems to find some subconscious urge to become the Hulk again, mainly because it's really a part of him.

adaptation-wise Bana's Hulk was pretty much the withdrawn version, while the Norton/Rufallo/MCU Hulk are pretty much the latter.
    I don't mind the changes within Banner's psyche so long as it has rhyme and reason behind it, but that's normally not the case. I think the more balanced Banner that we got with Bill Bixby is the best take. A caring guy that had a wide range of emotion. However, that take should not box him in to one personality, no more than we can have with Hulk. Finding the counter reaction to any change in the other would be interesting.

You're right, more times than not, when Banner is cured, he seems to find a "reason" to become the Hulk again.

Until further notice, I'm still of the school of thought that Hulk and Banner are the same being, just different facets of one person's mind. Hulk being the intangible innate nature of Banner's mind made physically manifest.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 09-26-2018 at 08:51 AM.

why is Banner intent on wandering the United States? Why not go to other countries, areas more off the grid?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    why is Banner intent on wandering the United States? Why not go to other countries, areas more off the grid?
    Right now, he doesn't have the means and Hulk is not helping him get around. I do hope that eventually changes too, as I like Hulk being all over the place including other dimensions, worlds and space. As far as getting off the grid, there are a few organizations that have technology to track Hulk, so getting off the grid will not be easy without BannerTech, which he is no longer able to conjure up or access.

Hulk apparently also has a natural inclination or urge to return, or be near the site of his "birth" (according to PAD it's because of the Maestro's corpse directing him or something). Hence probably why he sticks around the midwest most of the time too.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Another great review of Immortal Hulk #6:

https://www.youdontreadcomics.com/co...-hulk-6-review
    A

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Hulk apparently also has a natural inclination or urge to return, or be near the site of his "birth" (according to PAD it's because of the Maestro's corpse directing him or something). Hence probably why he sticks around the midwest most of the time too.
    I think Al Ewing said he was going to tweak that ability. The Maestro has since regenerated from being blown apart, and last issue it seems that Banner knows exactly where to go to find it.