Page 202 of 237 FirstFirst ... 102152192198199200201202203204205206212 ... LastLast
Results 3,016 to 3,030 of 3547
    BANNED

Hickman certainly one of the writers that wouldn't get me excited if he wanted to write a Hulk so title.

I expected better characterization of Hulk from him. He's usually a smart writer, so I figured he'd understand the Hulk better than he did. His FF was much better than his Avengers book.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Ugh. I didn’t realize the new issue came out this week. I don’t get my books until this weekend.

Hickman’s heading up the Defenders relaunch? I can live with that. I’d prefer him on a Silver Surfer or a Doctor Strange run, but Defenders seems like something he could handle well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Hickman’s heading up the Defenders relaunch? I can live with that. I’d prefer him on a Silver Surfer or a Doctor Strange run, but Defenders seems like something he could handle well.
    No. I was just mentioning a missed opportunity that Hickman had to write a good character moment between two "friends".

Also, Hickman recklessly took away a great mythos in Hulk lore; that being Hulk as World Breaker; and using that title and turning it into useless forgettable material.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 09-19-2018 at 04:27 PM.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Immortal Hulk is pretty great so far. It’s funny how Hulk has come full circle back to his horror roots. And of course it was Ewing who brought him back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Immortal Hulk is pretty great so far. It’s funny how Hulk has come full circle back to his horror roots. And of course it was Ewing who brought him back there.
    Hulk is one of the few characters that works in any genre you put him in. Horror, Fantasy, Adventure, Sci-fi, etc... As far as horror goes, Hulk needs to be in strange and weird places showcasing his strange and weird abilities.

Al Ewing is on point right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    No. I was just mentioning a missed opportunity that Hickman had to write a good character moment between two "friends".

Also, Hickman recklessly took away a great mythos in Hulk lore; that being Hulk as World Breaker; and using that title and turning it into useless forgettable material.
    Ahhh. Hickman is very hit and miss with me. There were certain characters he just nailed, and there were others that was written as a total travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Ahhh. Hickman is very hit and miss with me. There were certain characters he just nailed, and there were others that was written as a total travesty.
    I for the most part, like Hickman's work. It just boggles me how when it comes to Hulk, many great writers miss the point. Hickman's New Avengers had it's moments but lacked in the character development. Too bad that book came out at a time when continuity was basically nonexistent in the MU.

This is the issue that really sold me that Ewing gets Bruce Banner. Jaded, no control over his life, and at the mercy of cruel fate and powers outside his control as Banner may the dude has seen it all. Th two scenes that really stick out here ae how he calmly communicates with the Hulk to figure out what they need to do next, even with Brian Banner's ghost haunting them, and his stone cold refusal to balk or turn from said goal, even when Captain Marvel and team of Avengers come to claim him.

So what else is new? This is Bruce's life.

I just love that.

Holy **** is this book fantastic. Al Ewing is KILLING it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    This is the issue that really sold me that Ewing gets Bruce Banner. Jaded, no control over his life, and at the mercy of cruel fate and powers outside his control as Banner may the dude has seen it all. Th two scenes that really stick out here ae how he calmly communicates with the Hulk to figure out what they need to do next, even with Brian Banner's ghost haunting them, and his stone cold refusal to balk or turn from said goal, even when Captain Marvel and team of Avengers come to claim him.

So what else is new? This is Bruce's life.

I just love that.
    It's funny, over the years I got sick of Banner wondering around from place to place in all Hulk media, however Ewing's take on the situation is working so far. He's not whining all the time about being cursed and he's more proactive. He's closer to Bill Bixby's portrayal of Banner, which is my favorite take, and it's working.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    I for the most part, like Hickman's work. It just boggles me how when it comes to Hulk, many great writers miss the point. Hickman's New Avengers had it's moments but lacked in the character development. Too bad that book came out at a time when continuity was basically nonexistent in the MU.
    I love his Fantastic Four. It’s in my top 10 FF runs of all time. His Avengers lacked the heart that his FF had. It was better than Bendis’ run, but that’s not hard. Waid & Ewing’s runs have been my favorite since Avengers Disassembled happened.

Waid's run was pretty good on Avengers, but I didn't read Ewing's run on that book. I usually like Waid's writing, but he is another great writer that has let me down with his Hulk run.

New Hulk out today. Doesn't show any signs of slowing. New government threats pushing pieces around the field and causing trouble, solid setup for conflict, and even a flash mention of banner's friends and family.

Definitely a setup, one I'm eager to see play out.