Page 207 of 237 FirstFirst ... 107157197203204205206207208209210211217 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,105 of 3547

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I agree about the Merged Hulk.

About Bruce, it's always about depth. Give him a distinctive personality and explore it, respecting the past of course. Ewing is doing that and I'm sure he will develop Banner much in the future.

One thing, for example is: how always coming back from his death affects Banner? Is he the same guy after each resurrection?
    The one facet that has been missed by almost every writer, except Al Ewing, is that with any change in Hulk, should also result in a change in Banner's personality. I've said it for years, there are as many possibilities for a change in Banner as there are for Hulk, without having to reinvent the wheel. The dynamic already exists.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 09-22-2018 at 04:58 PM.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

This series has me hooked and wanting to explore more of the Hulk and Bruce Banner. This is the first solo Hulk series that I have read. What would be some runs you would recommend? I’ve heard great things about Bruce Jones run in the book.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    This series has me hooked and wanting to explore more of the Hulk and Bruce Banner. This is the first solo Hulk series that I have read. What would be some runs you would recommend? I’ve heard great things about Bruce Jones run in the book.
    Bruce Jones run was uninspired storytelling, in my opinion. However, he did have a few good moments and I am a fan of Agent Pratt, a real arrogant a-hole. I like unlikable foes..

I wrote this above...

For me I like to start at the foundation the first six issues. I'm not a big fan of the Tales to Astonish days, but as a Hulk purist I've read them. I liked the soap opera feel of Stan Lee's, Marie Severin's and Roy Thomas's runs, but Hulk starts to really get good with the Steve Englehardt, Len Wein, Roger Stern and Bill Mantlo's runs. I'm not a big fan of John Byrne's first run, but there are key Hulk concepts and characters presented. Peter David's entire run is a must as he really added too much to speak on in Hulk's lore. The next writer that did exceptional work was Greg Pak. Almost everything other than Jeff Parker's Red Hulk book, I could do without. Paul Jenkins had good ideas but never followed through. Jason Aaron just wrote shallow stories, although some were fun. Everything else is not worth reading, IMO.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Nice to have you aboard! Well, concerning Jones run, it's far from the greatest: it had a good first year, more or less, but it went nowhere. The mystery, which in the beginning was interesting became less and less interesting. It didn't, for the most part, respect continuity, and, in truth, he was't a fan of super heroes and of the Hulk. He just wanted to write a mystery story which happened to have Banner and Hulk in the middle.

One of the greatest runs ever was the Mantlo/Buscema one. It started to define what the character would become in the future.

By the end of it, there were small transition runs from Byrne and Al Migron. They brought the Gray Hulk from the early days back and Peter David started his 12 years of greatness in The Hulk, redefining the character. I's the best so far, and one of the greatest runs of any character ever.

After that we had another small Byrne run( a guilty pleasure of mine) and then Jenkin's run, which had potential and introduced some interesting elements , which might be used in the future.

Then, a classic run by Greg Pak: planet hulk and world war hulk! His second run wasn't as good, but it ended awesomely with Heart of the Monster.

After that, Aaron's run and Waid's. The first issued were good, but they became terrible soon, with bad art and writing. Keep away from them! LOL.

Now we have this one, that I'm sure will become a classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    Bruce Jones run was uninspired storytelling, in my opinion. However, he did have a few good moments and I am a fan of Agent Pratt, a real arrogant a-hole. I like unlikable foes..

I wrote this above...

For me I like to start at the foundation the first six issues. I'm not a big fan of the Tales to Astonish days, but as a Hulk purist I've read them. I liked the soap opera feel of Stan Lee's, Marie Severin's and Roy Thomas's runs, but Hulk starts to really get good with the Steve Englehardt, Len Wein, Roger Stern and Bill Mantlo's runs. I'm not a big fan of John Byrne's first run, but there are key Hulk concepts and characters presented. Peter David's entire run is a must as he really added too much to speak on in Hulk's lore. The next writer that did exceptional work was Greg Pak. Almost everything other than Jeff Parker's Red Hulk book, I could do without. Paul Jenkins had good ideas but never followed through. Jason Aaron just wrote shallow stories, although some were fun. Everything else is not worth reading, IMO.
    Nice to have you aboard! Well, concerning Jones run, it's far from the greatest: it had a good first year, more or less, but it went nowhere. The mystery, which in the beginning was interesting became less and less interesting. It didn't, for the most part, respect continuity, and, in truth, he was't a fan of super heroes and of the Hulk. He just wanted to write a mystery story which happened to have Banner and Hulk in the middle.

One of the greatest runs ever was the Mantlo/Buscema one. It started to define what the character would become in the future.

By the end of it, there were small transition runs from Byrne and Al Migron. They brought the Gray Hulk from the early days back and Peter David started his 12 years of greatness in The Hulk, redefining the character. I's the best so far, and one of the greatest runs of any character ever.

After that we had another small Byrne run( a guilty pleasure of mine) and then Jenkin's run, which had potential and introduced some interesting elements , which might be used in the future.

Then, a classic run by Greg Pak: planet hulk and world war hulk! His second run wasn't as good, but it ended awesomely with Heart of the Monster.

After that, Aaron's run and Waid's. The first issued were good, but they became terrible soon, with bad art and writing. Keep away from them! LOL.

Now we have this one, that I'm sure will become a classic!
    Thanks fellas! I am loving Ewing’s run!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Steve Englehart and Steve Gerber in the Defenders also wrote some classic tales with Hulk in it. Over in that book those two showcased a lot of Hulk's mystical abilities.

BANNED

Bestseller list for 23rd September 2018

Batman: Damned #1
    Batman #55
    Return Of Wolverine #1
    Justice League #8
    Venom #6
    Mister Miracle #11
    Immortal Hulk #6
    Venom First Host #4
    Thor #5
    Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1

Venom First Host is still holding strong for a weekly book. Immortal Hulk is in the Top Ten again which is always cool to see. Marvel is still holding strong...

The rest of our list is most of the usual reliable sellers, and mostly Marvel. We’ve got the penultimate issue of MISTER MIRACLE, another issue of the excellent IMMORTAL HULK, and a smattering of Marvel’s usual suspects.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09...eptember-2018/

Like the Hulk's own strength and rage this book's sales keep rising with no end in sight!

Ok maybe not, but if the book tops out and stabilizes somewhere above 50k I'd say Ewing had done a stellar job

Edit:.Good to see Venom up there as well. Two best books in Marvel's line if you ask me, and with a similar direction and tone. I can't help but feel that they're somehow bound together and I'm hoping for more books in that same style.

Ghost Rider, Blade...

Maybe a Skaar book...
    Last edited by Ptrvc; 09-24-2018 at 04:37 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Like the Hulk's own strength and rage this book's sales keep rising with no end in sight!

Ok maybe not, but if the book tops out and stabilizes somewhere above 50k I'd say Ewing had done a stellar job

Edit:.Good to see Venom up there as well. Two best books in Marvel's line if you ask me, and with a similar direction and tone. I can't help but feel that they're somehow bound together and I'm hoping for more books in that same style.

Ghost Rider, Blade...

Maybe a Skaar book...
    Agreed on everything! All in all, I'm so happy it's doing well and that word of mouth has been great! Venom deserves it too.

If we could get a Ghost Rider book with a great creative team...the party would be complete.

You guys are making me want to look imto Venom. The thing that is working for Immortal Hulk is the tone. I think when writing any character it plays the biggest part of keeping interest. It doesn't hurt to have an enthusiastic creative team either.

You guys are making me want to look imto Venom. The thing that is working for Immortal Hulk is the tone. I think when writing any character it plays the biggest part of keeping interest. It doesn't hurt to have an enthusiastic creative team either.
    It's not exactly the same tone, but both books are revealing new things about the nature of their protagonists while building on the past rather than ignoring it.

Also there are definite cosmic horror themes in both books, as well as a big focus on the personal demons that the main characters possess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    It's not exactly the same tone, but both books are revealing new things about the nature of their protagonists while building on the past rather than ignoring it.

Also there are definite cosmic horror themes in both books, as well as a big focus on the personal demons that the main characters possess.
    I'm definitely going to check out the book. I hear that there's a tweaked origin for the suit?

BANNED

I'm definitely going to check out the book. I hear that there's a tweaked origin for the suit?
    Do it! You will enjoy it!

Yeah, the origin for the suit is great. It adds a lot to the myth.

Do it! You will enjoy it!

Yeah, the origin for the suit is great. It adds a lot to the myth.
    Definitely. The thing that holds my attention with comic book characters, is when an interesting mythos is built around them.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Bestseller list for 23rd September 2018

Batman: Damned #1
    Batman #55
    Return Of Wolverine #1
    Justice League #8
    Venom #6
    Mister Miracle #11
    Immortal Hulk #6
    Venom First Host #4
    Thor #5
    Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1

Venom First Host is still holding strong for a weekly book. Immortal Hulk is in the Top Ten again which is always cool to see. Marvel is still holding strong...

The rest of our list is most of the usual reliable sellers, and mostly Marvel. We’ve got the penultimate issue of MISTER MIRACLE, another issue of the excellent IMMORTAL HULK, and a smattering of Marvel’s usual suspects.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09...eptember-2018/
    What a nice birthday gift for me.