Page 111 of 237 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 3547
    BANNED

Talking Happy 55th Anniversary 616 Robert Bruce Banner, THE INCREDIBLE HULK!!! 1962-2017

The Incredible Hulk #1 May 1962

The first appearance and origin of the Incredible Hulk in "The Coming of the Hulk."
    It's the height of the Cold War and the government is about to test their new Gamma Bomb. Unfortunately, a carefree and oblivious teenager named Rick Jones wanders out onto the test area. Dr. Bruce Banner, the creator of the Gamma Bomb, rushes out to warn the young man away.

However, the bomb explodes and as Banner pushes the teenager to safety he is caught in the heart of a Gamma maelstrom. The gamma-rays that bombard Banner's taunt frame transform his physiology. Now, whenever Banner becomes angry he transforms into the man-brute known as the Incredible Hulk.

Feared by the public and hunted by the army, the Hulk becomes one of the most tragic figures in Marvel's history. General "Thunderbolt" Ross will not rest until the Hulk is destroyed. The creature's only allies are Rick Jones and Betty Ross, Thunderbolt's daughter and Banner's one true love. Thus begins the epic saga of the world's mightiest mortal.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

And what are they doing to celebrate it?
    Jack.
    Shit.

Just like on his 50th, they "acknowledge" the anniversary and talk to a lesser-known artist about the Red Hulk.

Give me a break.

Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

Here's a roughly thrown together review I did of "The Incredible Hulk vs The Hunchback of Notre Dame"...

https://youtu.be/c0XCLYx-uVc
    Last edited by AnimalSquabbles; 05-09-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    And what are they doing to celebrate it?
    Jack.
    Shit.

Just like on his 50th, they "acknowledge" the anniversary and talk to a lesser-known artist about the Red Hulk.

Give me a break.
    Didn't his 50th coincided with the Avengers movie? And all they had to show for it was 2 Hulk books? And yet, now, there's nothing despite Inhumans getting a big deal about their 50th and Cap with his 75th and Spidey is about to celebrate 55 years with the movie push and a whole line. Same with Thor with a movie coming.

I want to say "yes", but I've lapsed horribly on my nerd-card movie watching since 2008. The last comic-related move I watch was the first Iron Man movie.
    I didn't watch the Avengers movie until a year after it came out...and got it on the clearance rental rack.
    I'd heard great reviews about it, but the MCU doesn't particularly interest me because of the way it affects the comics...by basically morphing the characters to be like what you see on the screen.

Incredible Hulk #207

Cover Date: January 1977
    Sale Date: October 19th, 1976
    Writer/Editor: Len Wein
    Artist: Sal Buscema
    Inker: Joe Staton
    Letterer: Irv Watanabe
    Colorist: Glynis Wein

“Alone Against the Defenders!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Doc Samson, General Ross, Clay Quartermain, Betty & Glenn Talbot, the Defenders.
    Antagonists: The Defenders
    Synopsis: Not knowing of the Hulk’s plight and believing him to be on another senseless rampage, the Defenders are determined to stop the brute from tearing thru New York City. The Hulk rages his explanation on how tired he is of being hounded by the puny humans and escapes Strange’s Crimson Band of Cyttorak. Realizing the mistake they made, the Defenders resume their search for the brute. Back at Gamma Base, General Ross confronts Betty about her marriage while back East, the Hulk confuses a young blonde-haired woman for Jarella. His anger grows, but before he can take it out on the poor woman, the Defenders arrive and they battle. After nearly pulping Nighthawk, the Hulk is brought to his senses and explains his situation. Dr. Strange travels to Gamma Base via his astral projection and confirms Doc Samson’s original diagnosis; Jarella has died. Back in New York, the Hulk moodily awaits the sorcerer’s return. Regretfully, Strange’s spirit returns and he must tell the Hulk that Jarella is indeed dead and there is no way to bring her back. The Hulk rages and lashes out at his surroundings. Valkyrie attempts to stop him, but Strange holds her back, saying it is the least he can offer him as his friend. Moments later, the Hulk’s rage is spent and grief overtakes him. Several minutes go by before an emotionless Hulk abruptly stops, apologizes for the destruction, and walks out the door – claiming that with Jarella dead, nothing really matters anymore.

Commentary: While the bulk of the story is a slugfest between the Hulk and Defenders in the old-school sense of a superhero misunderstanding fight, the final pages with the Hulk grieving at the loss of his beloved Jarella can really tug at the heartstrings. Sal really nails the panels with the Hulk on pages 30 and 31; rage turning to grief and the tears flowing. And knowing that the most powerful creature on the face of the Earth just gets up and walks out saying “nothing really matters anymore”…woof! Can’t remember where I’d read it, but Wein had planned on bringing Jarella back sometime later, circumstances on her resurrection unknown. He would leave Marvel for DC and take over Batman, so the story never saw the light of day. Roger Stern never followed up on it and Bill Mantlo’s first arc on the Hulk would have the Hulk…well, we’ll get there eventually.

That #207 has always been a favorite of mine for many reasons.

Besides guest starring Hulk's non-team members, the Defenders, it has action, emotion, fighting, team work and saving civilians while giving us insight to Hulk's powers against magic-- the Crimson Bands and Valkyrie's mystic sword Dragonfang.

Incredible Hulk #208
    Cover Date: February 1977
    Sale Date: November 16th, 1976
    Letterers: Joe Rosen and Irv Wantanabe

“A Monster in Our Midst!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast:
    Jim Wilson, April Somers, Doc Samson, General Ross, and Glenn Talbot.
    Villain: Absorbing Man, They Who Wield Power

Synopsis: A depressed Hulk makes his way thru the streets of New York City, grieving over the loss of his beloved Jarella. So engrossed in his grief is the Green Goliath, that he is oblivious to his surroundings and inadvertently (as well as literally) walks into a jailbreak. He comes to his senses and trashes the escape vehicle and leaps away. He hides in an alleyway and transforms back into Bruce Banner. Cut to one-time sidekick Jim Wilson back in Los Angeles, whose got his hands full with some not-so-friendly individuals. A dodge and roundhouse kick later, Jim comes across a newpaper headline about the Hulk’s rampage in NYC. Wordlessly, he takes off and we are taken back to New York and Banner recalling the events of the last couple of days. He manages to buy a new set of clothes and contemplates suicide, but decides to suck it up and once again make something of his life – Hulk or not. He comes across an apartment with rooms for rent and is greeted by an attractive young lady named April Somers who manages the building. She offers Bruce a room – one that belonged to a stage musician called Kropotkin the Great, and whose belongings were confiscated to cover the six months of back rent. Bruce accepts and proclaims the Hulk to be dead and this new life will belong to Bruce Banner only. At Gamma Base, General Ross is finally able to confront Talbot about the marital problems of late. Just as Talbot is about to unleash his frustrations on the old man, Doc Samson arrives with an unconscious man in his arms. Cut back to New York, where the Absorbing Man has finally escaped his cardboard prison. His battle with the police makes the news and Bruce manages to hold off the transformation. Suddenly, the Absorbing Man disappears and we find him in the company of three shadowy figures in a new outfit, with the promise to kill the Hulk.

Commentary: Nice to see the Hulk still grieving over Jarella’s death, but it irks me that Banner just kind of shrugged his shoulders and went on his merry way. Considering that it was Banner who spent more time with Jarella than the Savage Hulk ever did, he should be just as distraught. Felt too pat to sweep the Jarella death under the rug and move on. Nice to see Jim Wilson again, but he looked a little weird in those panels. April Somers makes her debut as Banner’s hot land lady. Not digging that “Brady Bunch” hairstyle, though.

Incredible Hulk #209

Cover Date: March 1977
    Sale Date: December 14th, 1976
    Letterer: Joe Rosen

“The Absorbing Man is Out for Blood!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: April Somers, Betty and Glenn Talbot
    Villain: Absorbing Man

Synopsis: Newly garbed and out for revenge, the Absorbing Man promises to the mysterious figures that he will destroy the Hulk. Meanwhile, Bruce Banner and April Somers get more acquainted and offers some employment advice. In New Mexico, Betty and Glenn Talbot finally come to the conclusion that their marriage is not working – and probably hasn’t for some time. Talbot says he needs time away to put the pieces of his life back together, leaving a solemn Betty offering to help pack. Her one-time love, Bruce Banner, however, is having horrible luck trying to find a job. He’s unaccredited, unauthorized, unacceptable, or uninterested. Oh, and according to a snobby waiter, unwelcomed. April to the rescue, as she says there’s on opening at a construction site. He’s given a chance and enjoys the fruits of manual labor until the Absorbing Man crashes the party. Banner is unable to hold back the transformation after falling off a scaffold and the Hulk takes the battle to the super villain recklessly by not remembering he absorbs everything he touches. As Crusher Creel begins to get the upper-hand, thanks to his absorption of the Hulk’s strength, ol’ Jade Jaws lashes out and smashes the wooden floor. As they tumble thru the air, Creel casually reaches out and mistakenly grabs a piece of glass – shattering into thousands of shards across the pavement. The Hulk wonders away, reverting back to Banner as figure approaches from the shadows.

Commentary: Joe Staton makes his exit as inker over Sal’s pencils. Which, according to Sal himself, was a blessing. He wasn’t too fond of Staton’s work, which surprised me when reading about it. I thought they meshed very well, but I guess Sal was doing loose pencils during this time, and Staton’s inks overpowered his style, much to his chagrin. It was a professional issue, not a personal one. (They’ve collaborated on cover recreations in recent years on some of the previous issues, and which I’ve posted in this very thread). At any rate, Wein is trying to shift the book into a more Banner-centric storyline. Talbot is getting written out and Betty will be soon to follow. Sounds like this was going to be a long term thing…at least at the start.

Incredible Hulk #210

Cover Date: April 1977
    Sale Date: January 18th, 1977
    Inker: Ernie Chan
    Letterer: John Costanza

“And Call the Doctor…Druid!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Dr. Druid, April Somers, Doc Samson, Clay Quartermain, General Ross, Betty and Glenn Talbot,
    Villains: Maha Yogi, Mongu
    Synopsis: The shadowy figure that appeared to be stalking Bruce Banner in the final panel of last issue reveals himself as Doctor Druid, Master of the Unknown. He’s enlisted Banner to help stop a ten thousand year old sorcerer called the Maha Yogi. A brief back-story is given, yet Banner agrees to help, yet refuses to use the power of the Hulk in any manner. Cut to Gamma Base, as Glenn Talbot has officially been given an extended leave of absence. A passionate kiss to Betty later, he’s off and Betty has a renewed sense of self worth. Meanwhile, Dr. Druid and Bruce are off to stop the Maha Yogi. Some parlor tricks and close calls later, Banner is caught between a rock and some high-powered bullets, which causes him to become the Hulk. The pair comes crashing into Yogi’s palace and a mind war between Druid and the evil sorcerer cause the Hulk to lose consciousness.
    Commentary: Welcome aboard Ernie Chan as inker for the next few months! This first issue is kind of rough, but by issue #212, they mesh pretty well. Sadly, as with Joe Staton, and his brother John, Sal was not found of Chan’s inking. Again, it was a professional issue, nothing personal. Mongu makes a surprise return to the series, and this time he’s not a Communist shell (with a bonus figure inside!). And the Maha Yogi? Really? Hanna Barbera or Three Stooges references??

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

For fans of the Hulk, here's some pages to the Civil War II: Electrical Boogaloo parody that I've been sharing.

So how often does the Hulk lose his actual pants? Just kind of curious since the joke got me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    For fans of the Hulk, here's some pages to the Civil War II: Electrical Boogaloo parody that I've been sharing.

So how often does the Hulk lose his actual pants? Just kind of curious since the joke got me thinking.
    HAHAHAH! That's great.

Off the top of my head, the only time I remember the Hulk losing his pants is in HULK #398 -- when Vector pretty much flayed his skin off his body.

Of course, there was the Heroes Reborn Hulk...where he pretty much ran around buck naked for his first appearances in the Iron Man and Avengers books.

Checking up on another thread, someone linked a Spider-Man cartoon question to a website.
    Happened to stumble on the 1982 Hulk series bible.

http://hulk.toonzone.net/Memorabilia...ultimedia.html

Shocked to learn that they chose to take the easy route and ignore the whole clothing issues on the Hulk-to-Banner transformation.
    Always thought it was a network, censorship issue.

Incredible Hulk #211

Cover Date: May 1977
    Sale Date: February 15th, 1977
    Inker: Ernie Chan
    Letterer: Irv Watanabe

“The Monster and the Mystic!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Dr. Druid, Jim Wilson, General Ross
    Villains: Maha Yogi, Mongu
    Synopsis: With the Hulk out of commission, Mongu and the Maha Yogi overpower Dr. Druid and shackle the duo in the chamber below. Jim Wilson makes his way from L.A. to the outskirts of New York and Betty Talbot has left her father a note stating that with Talbot on his own, it’s time for her to do the same. The Hulk awakens, and Druid initiates the transformation back to Bruce Banner. The duo are caught by Mongu and we’re given a back story to Mongu’s reasons for being a servant of the Maha Yogi. They’re led to an arena, where Banner is given a weapon to face Mongu in gladiatorial combat. Realizing he’s outmatched, Banner succumbs to the transformation and the Hulk takes charge. Druid is able to clear his head long enough to cause Yogi to drop the Jewel of Jeopardy, which has kept him alive all these centuries. The Hulk casually crushes it, causing Yogi to whither into a aged husk. Mongu abandons his battle with the Hulk and carries his master away to safety, ending the crisis.

Commentary: So with Talbot written out of the book, we also see Betty hit the road as well. It sounds like Wein was trying to tie up loose ends and give Banner a fresh start with new characters, but keep some familiar faces -- with Samson trying to keep his word on giving the Hulk a chance to live a normal life, and General Ross as a somewhat semi-antagonist. Chan’s inks are getting better over Buscema’s pencils.

Hulk by Walt Simonson @1981...