Page 160 of 237 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 3547
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Cautiously optimistic.

The only things that make me cautious is the potential deemphasis on anger, and great feats of physical strength. Which are thematic tentpoles of the Hulk.

No every story, arc, or even run needs to be focused on those tentpoles, but they should be there somewhere to keep the whole thing tumbling down.

I am very thrilled by Ewing's insistence that there will be little influence from the rest of the Marvel Universe. Hulk is a unique character, even among superheroes, he works best with minimal interference from tights-clad crowd.
    I don't think this is a reason to get worried about. It's simply that he just won't build a story around "feats". As he said, He knows Hulk is the strongest one there is.

You put it pretty well: Hulk is unique; there are so many possibilities to explore with him. You can have a lot of feats spread over them.

Also, PAD's run (the greatest, imo) was certainly not feat oriented, but it brought so many wonderful elements that made the character what he is today. From what Ewing said in his 1st interview, that's something he wants for the character.

Anybody else getting a slight "Early Peter David" (specifically, the issues he did with Todd Mcfarlane) feel from what we've seen so far? Even some of the villains on the covers kind of remind me of Half-life and Hotshot....

BTW that Bruce/Walter dormroom picture kind of reminds me of an old panel depicting a similar meeting(Not sure what comic it's from, but it shows up in Samson's psych evaluation/history of Hulk's personas thing in #393)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Anybody else getting a slight "Early Peter David" (specifically, the issues he did with Todd Mcfarlane) feel from what we've seen so far? Even some of the villains on the covers kind of remind me of Half-life and Hotshot....
    I'm getting that too.

Ewing even brings up the dynamic where the Hulk comes out when the sun goes down like with Grey Hulk during that period.

Yeah, and there seemed to be some light horror touches too, especially in his first five issues or so.

I wonder if we'll ever get a proper return for the Abomination? He was briefly resurrected during Chaos War, and then we got the mindless zombie version towards the end of Waid's run....but the proper version of the character hasn't shown up in other a decade I think.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Yeah, and there seemed to be some light horror touches too, especially in his first five issues or so.

I wonder if we'll ever get a proper return for the Abomination? He was briefly resurrected during Chaos War, and then we got the mindless zombie version towards the end of Waid's run....but the proper version of the character hasn't shown up in other a decade I think.
    I am kind of surprised Blonsky's stayed dead as long as he has.

We got a "Kid Abomination" in Superior Iron Man but that had no connection to the actual Abomination, aside from just looking like him.

Not that I expect bringing him back will be high on Ewing's "to-do list."

BANNED

These aren't supposed to be light horror touches: it's gonna be a horror book, so there'll be heavy horror touches.

And about some of the villains in the covers, one is Hotshot; it's confirmed. The other isn't Half-Life at all.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

I'm not hearing good things about the Hulk's appearance in Infinity War....

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    To be fair it was Thanos's movie, its suppose to be a low point for all the heroes, as they all fail. Its one of those fall first to see how far the characters rise, greater than ever before, situations.
    I personally liked the development as it rounds out/gives depth to MCU Hulk, to be more than a bulldozer aimed for the big bad. It reminds the viewer there's a mind, a soul inside the force of nature that is Hulk.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensational C View Post
    To be fair it was Thanos's movie, its suppose to be a low point for all the heroes, as they all fail. Its one of those fall first to see how far the characters rise, greater than ever before, situations.
    I personally liked the development as it rounds out/gives depth to MCU Hulk, to be more than a bulldozer aimed for the big bad. It reminds the viewer there's a mind, a soul inside the force of nature that is Hulk.
    I look at it this way. Thanos was armored and had the Power Stone. That alone combined with the Space Stone, as Banner stated, would make him the most powerful being in the universe. If Thanos is as strong or stronger than a non-fully enraged Hulk, then adding in the armor and Power Stone greatly increases his formidable stats. Plus, I also like to take in these facts and evidence regarding the whole confrontation.

*The only time Hulk was ever hurt or truly bleed quite a bit was in the MCU prior to his altercation with Thanos was when he fought Abomination in Incredible Hulk (2008).

*Tony Stark's Hulkbuster only managed to enrage Hulk more than actually hurt him in Avengers: Age of Ultron, but if it had not had its parts constantly replaced it would not lasted as long as it did. And if it were not for the Scarlet Witch's mind control being broken, the Hulk would have continued his rampage and killed Tony in the process.

*Thor's best and most powerful shots could only slightly faze the Hulk in Avengers (2012) and Thor: Ragnarok (whether it be with Mjolnir or lightning enhanced blows with power that's only been shown thrice in Thor: Ragnarok, two being against Hulk and one when he unleashed a massive thunderbolt assault on Hela).

*The Hulk was taking on Thanos who possessed the Power Gem, which was glowing with power beforehand. It is not entirely impossible he used the Infinity Stone to enhance his own immense power and blows, thus a possible reason why he was able to overpower and brutally pummel the Hulk with a flurry of powerful blows.

*Out of all those on the ship, including Thor and the Asgardians, the Hulk was the only one left standing and still able to fight against Thanos. Thor was laying on the floor at Thanos feet, battered and coughing/spitting out blood.

*When Thor went to attack Thanos after he laid out the Hulk, he got in one hit on Thanos who wasn't even phased and proceeded to one-shot him and have Ebony Maw easily entrap him.

*When Hulk attacked Thanos, he knocked Thanos down and actually hurt him. He even managed to pummel and pin the Mad Titan to the wall. This display nearly caused Cull Obsidian and others of the Black Order to intervene, only for the Ebony Maw to reassure them. And he said and I quote: "Wait. Let him have some fun". After all, Thanos does enjoy a challenge and most likely has never been staggered or harmed by anyone in the universe prior to this.

*Throughout the entire film, when anyone else faced Thanos directly, he laid them out easily if not outright one-shot them without using the gems to enhance his might or really put any full force in his blows. Iron Man, Starlord, Drax, Spider-Man used their speed and agility to get hits in on the Mad Titan, but when he hit them, even while restrained and without the Infinity Stones for enhancement, they were laid out. He even one-shot most of them as if he were swatting insects away. He physically hit Iron Man once and it severely damaged his armor and knocked/ripped the helmet off his head. They were of no threat to him in an actual fight, with or without the Infinity Gauntlet.

*Thor was only able to hurt Thanos by driving a fully powered lightning infused Stormbreaker into his chest with momentum from a vast distance away and in the form of a sneak attack. It should be noted that Stormbreaker is a weapon that was designed and created for Odin to be the most powerful weapon in all of Asgard by Eitri of Nidavellir. And even then, it seemed to have little effect on Thanos afterwards as no wound was present at the end of the film where he watched the sunset on another planet.

*Nobody else in the entire film, other than the Hulk, went toe-to-toe with Thanos, traded blows with him, and withstood as many powerful hits in a fight with the Mad Titan. They all used speed, agility, and dodged his attacks. Because when Thanos did land a blow, they were laid out in 2-3 blows if not outright one-shotted.

*It has been stated in many interviews that the Hulk is not afraid of Thanos, but is instead impressed with the Mad Titan. Banner, on the other hand, is terrified of the Mad Titan. It has also been outright stated by Mark Ruffalo and the Russo Brothers that Banner and Hulk are having an internal conflict, one that's focused on Hulk becoming his own person/entity and the ever continuing struggle for control between Banner & Hulk. Also, they've stated this is just part of an upcoming large arc and huge role for Banner/Hulk in Avengers 4. Next time we see Hulk & Thanos clash, I'm willing to bet the battle will be quite a bit different, especially if Banner & Hulk see the death or deaths of those they care about and/or decide to finally unleash the rage and power within.

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post
    *It has been stated in many interviews that the Hulk is not afraid of Thanos, but is instead impressed with the Mad Titan. Banner, on the other hand, is terrified of the Mad Titan. It has also been outright stated by Mark Ruffalo and the Russo Brothers that Banner and Hulk are having an internal conflict, one that's focused on Hulk becoming his own person/entity and the ever continuing struggle for control between Banner & Hulk. Also, they've stated this is just part of an upcoming large arc and huge role for Banner/Hulk in Avengers 4. Next time we see Hulk & Thanos clash, I'm willing to bet the battle will be quite a bit different, especially if Banner & Hulk see the death or deaths of those they care about and/or decide to finally unleash the rage and power within.
    I think it's obvious that Round 2 with Hulk and Thanos is set up to be a huge rematch.

I expect things will go much differently the second time around.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #215
    Cover Date: September 1977
    Sale Date: June 14th, 1977
    Writer/Editor: Len Wein
    Artist: Sal Buscema
    Inker: Ernie Chan
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Glynis Wein
    “Home is Where the Hurt Is!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Jim Wilson, April Somers, Kropotkin, Clay Quartermain
    Villain/Antagonist: The Bi-Beast, General Ross
    Synopsis: Open to the Louie the Lip getting roughed up by a couple of well-dressed hoods on the NYC waterfront. In the background, a couple of enormous green hands rise from the water and a pretty angry Hulk pulls himself onto the dock. The hoods turn their guns on the Hulk to no avail, and are rewarded by getting tossed high into the air and far out into the ocean. A grateful Louie offers the Hulk some money for saving his life, but is tossed into the bay as well. Meanwhile, Clay Quartermain, General Ross, and division science wizard known as the Gaffer are scrambling to find the location of the mysterious passenger that escaped the cocoon earlier. He’s found in the master control room of the Heli-Carrier and the Bi-Beast introduces himself to the group and claims the ship as his new home. We get a backstory on the Bi-Beast, which gives Ross an idea on how to stop him. Back in New York, Jim Wilson has located the Hulk and watches him revert back to Bruce Banner. They come back to the apartment and find April and Kropotkin still arguing when Banner is suddenly pulled into the sky by a beam of light. Turns out it’s the Gaffer, but Banner didn’t know that. The group is surprised to find a confused Hulk questioning his surroundings…until he sees Ross. The Hulk gives chase, and Ross leads him to the control room in hopes of confronting the Bi-Beast, but it works against him, as he activates a room full of lasers that begin to boil the Hulk’s blood.
    Commentary: Good issue. Buscema & Chan are really starting to mesh and that panel where the Hulk is pulled into the Heli-Carrier – should have been a poster.

Spectacular Member

*Tony Stark's Hulkbuster only managed to enrage Hulk more than actually hurt him in Avengers: Age of Ultron, but if it had not had its parts constantly replaced it would not lasted as long as it did. And if it were not for the Scarlet Witch's mind control being broken, the Hulk would have continued his rampage and killed Tony in the process.
    Actually, he knocked out the Hulk with it although the Hulk wasn't injured. The power scales in the movie(s) are simply different than those in the comics. I tend to think they emphasize Tony Stark's scientific achievements over the power of characters like the Hulk and Thor.

*When Thor went to attack Thanos after he laid out the Hulk, he got in one hit on Thanos who wasn't even phased and proceeded to one-shot him and have Ebony Maw easily entrap him.
    A bit on the biased side, I think. Thor was down before the opening credits, along with everyone else on the ship (most being dead). How that happened was never explained although the ship took fire during the opening credits (not shown, but you could hear the radio transmissions). He was easily entrapped, never using lightning to free himself (which would have been easy enough, one would think). Regardless, the entire scene was a set-up and no one fared well in it.

*When Hulk attacked Thanos, he knocked Thanos down and actually hurt him. He even managed to pummel and pin the Mad Titan to the wall. This display nearly caused Cull Obsidian and others of the Black Order to intervene, only for the Ebony Maw to reassure them. And he said and I quote: "Wait. Let him have some fun". After all, Thanos does enjoy a challenge and most likely has never been staggered or harmed by anyone in the universe prior to this.
    I didn't see Thanos actually hurt; maybe I missed it? He simply beat the Hulk at his own game by pummeling him into unconsciousness, and that rather quickly. Ebony Maw was very casual in his reassurances to the rest of the group. As I said before, this was the opening scene and really was about establishing Thanos' power. Thor and the Hulk suffered accordingly.

*Throughout the entire film, when anyone else faced Thanos directly, he laid them out easily if not outright one-shot them without using the gems to enhance his might or really put any full force in his blows. Iron Man, Starlord, Drax, Spider-Man used their speed and agility to get hits in on the Mad Titan, but when he hit them, even while restrained and without the Infinity Stones for enhancement, they were laid out. He even one-shot most of them as if he were swatting insects away. He physically hit Iron Man once and it severely damaged his armor and knocked/ripped the helmet off his head. They were of no threat to him in an actual fight, with or without the Infinity Gauntlet.
    Certainly true. Thanos was simply not threatened by the physical power of any hero in the movie, other than Thor's ending shot--and even that didn't take him down.

*Thor was only able to hurt Thanos by driving a fully powered lightning infused Stormbreaker into his chest with momentum from a vast distance away and in the form of a sneak attack. It should be noted that Stormbreaker is a weapon that was designed and created for Odin to be the most powerful weapon in all of Asgard by Eitri of Nidavellir. And even then, it seemed to have little effect on Thanos afterwards as no wound was present at the end of the film where he watched the sunset on another planet.
    Thor wasn't a "vast distance" away; he was, at most, around 50-100 yards (just based on the screen time that showed both of them and the flight of the hammer). Thanos also saw it coming and used the power of the IG to try and shield himself (to no avail). Frankly, it was the biggest "feat" of the movie that Thor took Thanos down with the throw--and one that surprised me. However, Thanos still snapped his fingers and the universe changed. I expect that is why he shows no wound; he was able to heal himself using the IG.

Altogether it is obvious that the movie(s) use different power scales than the comics. But I guess they have to create tension in some Hollywood-like manner; it's simply a different format that requires different storytelling in most ways. It will be interesting to see how the roles change in the next movie (which should wrap this story up, I would hope). I was surprised that Thor had such a strong showing, aside from the opening scene, and that the Hulk did not appear at all after it. The Banner/Hulk dynamic is the MCU is changing, I think. It will be interesting to see where it ends up.
    Last edited by pugbuddy; 05-07-2018 at 02:32 PM.

BANNED

More evidence that it is not fear of Thanos that is causing Hulk to remain within Banner.

https://movieweb.com/avengers-infini...-fight-thanos/