Page 187 of 237 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 3547
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Ewing is killing it on this book. I’m always blown away with what he puts out. I can’t wait to see where he goes with Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Ewing's done a lot of PAD study if he's using the ol' 'Only one color suit' thing.
    Looks that way to me. I just hope his Hulk is not as mean spirited or potentially insane as Peter David was making Hulk out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkboy View Post
    Never care about PAD'S, like how i never care about Maestro. They try and try another times to bring this character back, and not work.

Talk to me about Bill Mantlo/Sal Buscema, the rest let's forget all!
    Hulk has a list of great writers on his title IMO. Roy Thomas, Steve Englehardt, Len Wein, Bill Mantlo's early stuff, Peter David and Greg Pak all wrote some good Hulk stories.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post
    How about... NO!

Bill Mantlo did add to the mythology/lore/history of Bruce Banner and the Hulk, but so did Peter David and Greg Pak to an equally great extent. In other words, to disregard all the great things they've contributed to the character is just pure idiocy! If you don't like it, then fine. Congratulations. You are probably among the extremely few minority.
    I have to agree, many writers added to Hulk's lore.

Quote Originally Posted by HulkSmash! View Post
    Bill Mantlo was a confirmed two-time plagiarist (at minimum) who nearly cost Marvel a fortune in legal fees when he got caught.

Not saying this to get a rise out of anyone, just stating a fact.

How many times has PAD--or really, any other Hulk writer--been accused of plagiarism?

-HS
    I read a story on what John Byrne planned to do in his Hulk run before it abruptly ended. Many of those elements were seen in PAD's run...

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    I agree with you F'sHulk. PAD's run was one of the greatest, and I have read every single Hulk comic book (several times in some cases). You have to look for the quality in each run, and PAD's run will stand with the best of them.
    While I love Pak's run, reflecting and rereading them still bothers me as far as the points I disliked about his run. He always found ways to stifle Hulk's power. Hulk is a creature and character that part of his draw is that his own strength is as much his friend and foe as he is to himself.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 09-05-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Ewing is killing it on this book. I’m always blown away with what he puts out. I can’t wait to see where he goes with Bruce.
    I'm a fan of Al Ewing myself. If one major complaint I have, it's we need to see a tad more action, but I am enjoying the story.

The only thing from Ewing that I didn't like was his portrayal of Maestro in the Contest of Champions. Maestro should be a Worldbreaker level character. And like the backstory in the video game, he should have been a universal threat, much like Thanos usually is. Playing second to no one.

Reviewing something from The Immortal Hulk #2

Banner reasons that he himself is his conscious thoughts; a "sensual being" that depends on his five senses and scientific thinking.
    Hulk is his subconscious; repressed mind, his intuition i.e. unscientific thought, mysticism and magical thinking; gut feelings and hunches.

I want to see both exhibit their qualities. I know Banner thinks Hulk is as smart as he is now, and I'd like to see Banner do more than just die. He should use that scientific thinking of his a bit more. Also, the Hulk is a creature that is manifested instinct. That's the nature of his character. I'd love to see Hulk use his mystical and magical thinking.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 09-04-2018 at 10:55 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    The book has been absolutely brilliant. The best part is that we don't know where Ewing is going to in this Banner/Hulk journey, and that's something that excites me a lot as a fan of the character, but we know it's going to enrich Hulk's mythology! With such an incredible creative team (Ewing/Bennett), the sky isn't the limit, since the Hulk is a character with virtually limitless possibilities/interpretations.

I admit I find myself rereading Mr. Ewing's Immortal Hulk issues a lot.

BANNED

We only got a little over 24 hours until THE IMMORTAL HULK #5 is released! I cannot wait to get my hands on it!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    I admit I find myself rereading Mr. Ewing's Immortal Hulk issues a lot.
    I did that a lot with PAD issues, back in the day. The combination of art, themes and narration make for a well rounded read

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I did that a lot with PAD issues, back in the day. The combination of art, themes and narration make for a well rounded read
    Ewing at times has proven to be a smart writer. He is very talented. There are so many layers to his run on the book so far, that I find myself going back time and again. PAD's run was fun and intelligent. When most uninformed people think of Hulk, intelligent is not a word they immediately associate in anyway with the Hulk. I studied PAD's stories as well. The only other writer I've thoroughly enjoyed was Greg Pak. Marvel foolishly interrupted his great run after World War Hulk ended. He was on a roll. Some of my all time favorite Hulk stories are in Planet Hulk until the end of WWH including all his Incredible Hulk stories during that time. Pak was able to write the Hulk in all his glory without limiting him or giving him a crutch. He showcased so many subtle nuances to the characterization of both Banner and Hulk that I enjoy his run over PAD's. Pak's Hulk was heroic in a "Hulk" kind of way.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 09-04-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Al Ewing proves he has been doing his studies on Hulk history.

In Immortal Hulk #2, Hulk speculates that Dr. Frye built up a tolerance to his gamma injection by working around (studying) it. A nod to M.O.D.O.K. from Incredible Hulk #167 who suggested one built up a tolerance to gamma radiation by being around it.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 09-04-2018 at 10:23 AM.

I think the panel in the latest issue showing Bruce, Walter and his friends in college is actually a homage to another panel which was used in PAD's Hulk #393 second story, which was basically a psychoanalyzation by Doc Samson of Bruce's history done MARVEL SAGA style. (The main story in the issue is very cool too-basically the Hulk confronting his very first villain-Igor). Not sure where the panel originates, I'm guessing it might actually be from Alpha Flight.

I'm guessing the guy Sasquatch is fighting when Carol is talking is Cho's hulk (little behind on reading TAH).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 09-04-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

'Psychological Ramifications of Gamma Radiation' by Doc Samson. I'm not sure if PAD wrote that. From what I remember he didn't, however it was a nice addition to the Hulk lore. Some of what was said did not fit in with what PAD had written at the time, but I loved it.

Also, nice catch on the scene with Hulk and his friends in college.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think the panel in the latest issue showing Bruce, Walter and his friends in college is actually a homage to another panel which was used in PAD's Hulk #393 second story, which was basically a psychoanalyzation by Doc Samson of Bruce's history done MARVEL SAGA style. (The main story in the issue is very cool too-basically the Hulk confronting his very first villain-Igor). Not sure where the panel originates, I'm guessing it might actually be from Alpha Flight.

I'm guessing the guy Sasquatch is fighting when Carol is talking is Cho's hulk (little behind on reading TAH).
    You're correct. It's Sasquatch vs Cho in the last arc from TA Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post
    We only got a little over 24 hours until THE IMMORTAL HULK #5 is released! I cannot wait to get my hands on it!

Very excited myself. Going to pick up that and the SS Annual at a minimum. Also, very happy to see "New" posters jump on the Hulk-Train. The more the merrier.
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

BANNED

A common friend just told GreenScar and me that he got the scoop on Immortal Hulk #5, and that it's WOW! I'm counting the hours...