007 girl.

Question What comic books series have you done a 180 degree turn on (for the better)?

I spent most of 2014 cussing Marvel's latest incarnation of Ghost Rider...something about the artwork just wasn't *my* Johnny Blaze...I love the classic burning skull artwork. Swore I'd avoid it like the plague. No way would I touch it unless I was selling it.

So I picked up the entire series to date last night...might be serving myself a plate of crow later. My interest got kinda piqued somehow but I'm not sure why but I'm not questioning it either. Will give it a shot?

Ever picked up something you most certainly thought you wouldn't?
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

The transformers series, specifically MTMTE.

I checked out some of the big hardcovers from the library when I was bored. I thought to myself, in a very jaded, cynical, I spend too much time on cbr reading big two/vertigo books way, "How good can a transformers comic be?" Then I read last stand of the wreckers, and it turns out the answer was very.

Last summer I bought the first four trades of MTMTE when it went on sale, I plan on getting volumes 5 and 6 in print. They're very good books.

MTMTE reads like the 80's justice league in space. It's everything guardians of the galaxy should be, what it was when Abnett and Lanning were writing it.

Same thing goes for IDW's Ninja Turtles.

I guess I thought they would be lame because they're licensed comics, which makes me a hypocrite because I've been reading Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man for a long time now. They're actually two of my favorite series. They're fun and engaging, but they're not "quirky and cute" like other all ages books out there.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Tomb Raider. I was never a big fan but then I thought I'd give the current run a go because of Gail Simone and I ended up loving it.

As much as there'd be current series of interest I might also pick up past stuff, one title coming to mind being:

R.E.B.E.L.S. (2009, DC Comics, issue 1 - 28). As yet I merely own and read #26 but I liked it, eventhough it wouldn't be anything I would have thought to pay mind to, so I might try and complete the series up to its last issue.

I like Starro, for appearing rather in the face!
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

007 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Tomb Raider. I was never a big fan but then I thought I'd give the current run a go because of Gail Simone and I ended up loving it.
    The cover artwork for the Dark Horse series is really nice...I used to get the Top Cow series so it was a natural follow on for me.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate jezebel View Post
    The cover artwork for the Dark Horse series is really nice...I used to get the Top Cow series so it was a natural follow on for me.
    I might have a look for the Top Cow series of it as I've really enjoyed the Dark Horse series. In fact I've enjoyed the series so much that I bought the game.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

The current volume of Silver Surfer. I have been waiting for a Surfer ongoing for like 10 years so was very excited when it was announced. As soon as I saw the creative team though I was pretty disappointed. I don't have much feeling for Slott one way or the other but I really dislike Allred's art. I ended up buying it begrudgingly but issue after issue it has grown on me. Such a fun book and sometimes I even appreciate the art.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Afterlife With Archie. When I first heard about this book which sounded to me like it was going to a cross between Leave It To Beaver and The Walking Dead, my initial response was one of revulsion as I thought it was going to be a complete train wreck. Then I picked up the first issue and was immediately floored by how great it was, and I haven't been able to get enough since.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!