Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Husker View Post
    If anyone can pull themselves out of a hole though, it's the Hawks. Maybe I'm just being optimistic though, as the Kings are my second least favorite team (only the Bruins are worse. Does anyone like Boston sports apart from people from Boston?).

Seriously though, in my mind whichever team comes out of the west is going to take the cup. The powerhouses in the west are just better in seemingly every way.
    With the exception of not liking LA Kings that much, I agree with everything you've said. I hate the Boston Bruins. Don't mind the Red Sox, don't care about the Celtics. I think New England Patriots are good, though.

Anyways, Hawks are in trouble now and they've been largely outplayed this round. Kings, on the other hand, are looking as assured as any team has these playoffs. I love all the right-handed shooters from LA (Carter, Doughty, Voynov, Brown, Lewis, Tiffoli) and they've got a pretty cool jersey and a very exciting goaltender. I can't find a flaw in this team. I think last year they were really hurting after their St. Louis series. This year, they looked on the brink, but that comeback from 3-0 to San Jose has made them nigh-invincible.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Ya it is hard to pick against the Kings after that Sharks comeback. I expected to see San Jose in the final (naive of me as they always find a way to blow it), but at this point the Kings to look deadly. Plus, as much as I hate the guy, Gaborik seems to push them over the edge. They look dominant.

I'll tell you I do disagree about the jersey though. Black, white, and silver are just too dull of colors for me.

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

The Kings are built for the playoffs! Amazing!
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

I'll tell you I do disagree about the jersey though. Black, white, and silver are just too dull of colors for me.
    I agree. I dont know why they got rid of the purple.. it was part of their identity imo.

Would be cool if they found a way to make the old gold and purple work also.

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I agree. I dont know why they got rid of the purple.. it was part of their identity imo.

The premiere level seats at Staples center are the purple from the black/white/purple uniforms era. Most attendees think it's a Lakers thing, but it's the Kings. They were Staples' first tenant to sign.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The cynic in me says that purple doesn't sell, especially in the inner city as kids will wear ANYTHING that's black, even if they have no earthly idea what hockey is. I live in da 'hood (West Philadelphia) and see kids sporting the old black sweaters the Flyers used to wear, and I'd bet my pension none of them had EVER watched a hockey game in their lives.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-27-2014 at 01:46 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

LA was a low-scoring team in the regular season, known mostly for awesome defense. Now they are the highest-scoring playoff team, also known for awesome defense. And what's with Jeff Carter? It's like he's possessed.

It's good to hear LA has dedicated fans. I've been to some SJ games and man, they were LOUD. Up here in the Great White North, I think a lot of us are surprised to learn there are great fans in California. It's just so basketbally there, you know? I know many of us think hockey in the US is sort of about the northeast, with Minnesota being honorary Canadians (it's cold there) and Boston being the villains. Now we need to add California to the list. Forget Florida though, you will have a tough time convincing anyone that's a hockey state.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The cynic in me says that purple doesn't sell, especially in the inner city as kids will wear ANYTHING that's black, even if they have no earthly idea what hockey is. I live in da 'hood (West Philadelphia) and see kids sporting the old black sweaters the Flyers used to wear, and I'd bet my pension none of them had EVER watched a hockey game in their lives.
    That's a bit weird. Maybe it's just your area? I'm from Detroit and there are plenty of inner city kids into hockey. Maybe they don't play it as it's an insanely expensive sport, but everyone loves the Red Wings

Anyway, big game tonight. Rangers with a chance to close out the Habs. Even though I live in Detroit, I'm a Leafs fan, tried and true. So I don't really know who to root for. It pains me to think of Montreal winning, but I also would like to see a Canadian team win the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    LA was a low-scoring team in the regular season, known mostly for awesome defense. Now they are the highest-scoring playoff team, also known for awesome defense. And what's with Jeff Carter? It's like he's possessed.

It's good to hear LA has dedicated fans. I've been to some SJ games and man, they were LOUD. Up here in the Great White North, I think a lot of us are surprised to learn there are great fans in California. It's just so basketbally there, you know? I know many of us think hockey in the US is sort of about the northeast, with Minnesota being honorary Canadians (it's cold there) and Boston being the villains. Now we need to add California to the list. Forget Florida though, you will have a tough time convincing anyone that's a hockey state.
    I agree Florida doesn't need two teams, but The Lightning were founded by Phil Esposito. I hate the Bruins as much as the next guy, but Esposito won us the Canada Cup!

I agree Florida doesn't need two teams, but The Lightning were founded by Phil Esposito. I hate the Bruins as much as the next guy, but Esposito won us the Canada Cup!
    Tampa has proven it's worth as a hockey team/city I think, winning the Cup a decade or so ago.

Forget the Panthers though... accomplished approximately zero aside from the '96 playoffs when they tackled and stickchecked their way to the final.

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's more to do with the fact that they don't get snow. Let's be honest, we northerners look down upon the south as a humid, decadent wasteland of rum and sodomy and believe it's no place for gap-toothed Prairie boys who know how to shoot a puck.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I bet thats pretty accurate. The average fan/not fan probably think black anything looks cooler. Though in Dallas most people hated the Stars bland all-black jerseys. When the green came back this season you couldnt find anywhere that hadnt sold out of the new jerseys for months on end.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Now we need to add California to the list. Forget Florida though, you will have a tough time convincing anyone that's a hockey state.
    I agree Florida doesn't need two teams, but The Lightning were founded by Phil Esposito. !
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedge Antilles View Post
    Forget the Panthers though... accomplished approximately zero aside from the '96 playoffs when they tackled and stickchecked their way to the final.
    I wonder if the rumors about the panthers poor ticket sales and a relocation or expansion team in Seattle are true? The west could use another team or two to even things out.

I wonder if the rumors about the panthers poor ticket sales and a relocation or expansion team in Seattle are true? The west could use another team or two to even things out.
    Can't speak for fan support in Miami... but from a financial perspective moving the franchise from Miami to Seattle seems to make sense.

Ya, it's my understanding though that there won't be any team in Seattle unless they can find an NBA partner to make it viable. The good people of Seattle miss their Super Sonics. So close to Kevin Durant in Seattle, only to have Oklahoma City steal your super star.

I really like the LA Kings, so what I'm about to say may not make any sense, but...

...is it weird that hockey is being played in places that is usually really, really hot? Like Phoenix, Dallas, Florida, etc? I know it's an indoor sport so the conditions can be maintained, but it just seems so weird to me.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/