Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default In rememberence of the King

It was 21 years ago today,that Jack Kirby died.I've been told that they either heard the news on the radio that day,or on the national tv news.I read it in the startribune obit page a few days later,and it shocked me.His work ment a LOT,to the baby boomer generation of fans.Such a little notice,for such a giant of an tallent.It says a lot, that some 64 issues of the Kirby collecter have come out in this time.I know of no other comic artist who could manage to sell a mag devoted to his work and life for so many issues.I clipped that little obit,and put it in the memorial page of his last issue of phantom force he did.A book that he sadly did not live to finish,and it sure shows .Any real fan of Kirby,or the marvel universe he did so much to co create, picks up the kirby collecter.Well worth the money.

Extraordinary Member

We really took/take him granted for what he brought to comics.

To the King!

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Thanks for starting this thread Dr. J. To King Kirby!
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

To Jack "The King of Comics" Kirby!
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Everyone raise a glass to the great Jack Kirby, who not only gave us wonderful works at DC and Marvel, but inspired writers and artist the world over to think big when it came to story telling and dream hard about the structure of the comic. To the legendary King Kirby, here's to you friend!

In honor of the King, The One Above All...he will ALWAYS be remembered.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I had drifted away from comics by then, so I don't recall hearing the news of Kirby's death. But his influence on comics, and especially at Marvel, is immeasurable. To the King!

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Extraordinary Member

Funny how the Namor designed evolved...

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

"I was thinkin' how the world should have cried, on the day Jack Kirby died..."
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    "I was thinkin' how the world should have cried, on the day Jack Kirby died..."
    The day the comic died?

There will never be another like him.

Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Kirby is truly the father of superheroic comics.His art was so great and timeless and his ideas about cosmic concept really helped creating unique concepts.He is truly the King of comic book industry.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

All hail the King, long live the King!

"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Funny how the Namor designed evolved...
    We were talking about that in the 365 Days of Namor thread ( http://community.comicbookresources....-Mariner/page9 ), since I post a cover from 7 different decades in a week. It's really interesting to see how the character, the art, the culture and values have changed over 9 different decades.

But in these Kirby pics, you can see how much the Thing design has changed. I always thought he had to be one of the hardest characters to ink or draw with all those rocks.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?