Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Superman/Wonder Woman #15 Preview

Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

That Circe is behind Magog's origin is one step to make me a tad more interested in the guy than I've ever been, but that's just one step. We'll see what happens going forward. That he's a actually a child this time around gives it a Shazam vibe too. Circe is definitely the draw for me here in terms of villains though.

Another good thing is the elimination of any alternate Earth origin here. He's just a kid from Earth-0. Simple, and not hamfisting in Earth-22 elements which were overused before the reboot.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-12-2015 at 03:58 PM.

I'm still undecided about Circe's pigtails which make her seem way younger and less dangerous, but as a whole I dig her design. The writing seems pretty great for the character, too... definitely interested to read more of this arc (I had given up on SM/WW before last issue).

I kind of like Magog's new origins; Circe's power make the whole thing even better. However, sometimes I wish Tomasi's writing would be less 'straight forward'. A little bit of mystery here and there is good from time to time.
    "If I wanted smooth,I'd be with Hal Jordan."

BANNED

Thos book is getting more cliche

I'm kinda feeling the new origin. Just lead them away from the city oh man if tomasi isn't shooting MOS then i don't know lolol.

I am wondering though why when the magic first takes hold he's given the costume we see when he first showed up. I mean, why does he not immediately come forth in the Magog costume? Hopefully its not just for plot's sake, I hope there's some kind of genuine tug of war there between the two personas.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    So instead of holding Darkseid's minions responsible for your family's demise, you blame Superman and Wonder Woman for not doing enough? What an unsympathetic brat.

Nice that Circe seems to be the Big Bad of this arc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I am wondering though why when the magic first takes hold he's given the costume we see when he first showed up. I mean, why does he not immediately come forth in the Magog costume? Hopefully its not just for plot's sake, I hope there's some kind of genuine tug of war there between the two personas.
    It's a process.

She describes the stone as having a will of it's own, perhaps the Magog costume is symbolic of when the stone is in full control of it's host.

Fantastic Member

I really disliked Soule's series, so I was going to get back onboard when Tomasi took over-- until I read the preview for #13. Wonder "I love everyone" Woman suddenly disgusted with human weakness? No thanks.

As for this one-- I agree with the criticisms above. Too straight forward and cliche.

BANNED

Oh and Benes art is a huge upgrade over Mahnke.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Oh and Benes art is a huge upgrade over Mahnke.

I totally agree with you on this point. I just hope he doesn't draw Diana in a thong like he previously has.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Eh, I dunno about that. I generally like Benes but lately his work has had a rough look to it I don't really care for, and this is no different. Maybe its something with the inking or colorist but something just seems sloppy about it. I think Mahnke's work the past two issues have been better than what I'm seeing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    I'm kinda feeling the new origin. Just lead them away from the city oh man if tomasi isn't shooting MOS then i don't know lolol.
    If anything that's a shot at the critics, actually. Because its the villain whose making that comment.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-12-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I'm intrigued so far.

I'm liking Circe's new look, although I'll admit the pigtails aren't really her. A nice straight braid would be better. Or just let it flow free.

Magog? Now created entirely by Circe? This basically makes HIM a Wonder Woman villain too! Diana finally gets to import someone else's villains! And basically this means that this story is ALL about Diana's rogues!

Lookin' forward to this!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Normally I'm mad at other books jacking Superman's villains, but A, its Wonder Woman, whom never got preferential treatment before the New 52, B, Superman's involved anyway, and C, well I still am not sold on Magog yet anyway, heh. But like I said, this new origin is a start. Its simple, is incorporated into at least Wonder Woman's mythology, does not feature an alternate Earth, and does not feature any overused KC concepts. So far, so good.